Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Is Utah State keeping BYU out of the MWC?

11 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Pivoting to Rice again? :rolleyes: sad. 

Nope, just a follow up.  No answer to my inquiry?  I bother defining "sad" all over for you again.  You really like that word.  Almost as much as I like referencing Dave Rice.

3 hours ago, ToTheMountains said:

Hello all. I have followed this forum for quite a while and decided to sign up and this is my first time posting. My first question on here has two parts and the second will be frowned upon by many I'm sure and am sorry for that but here it goes. With how a lot of MWC prospective teams aren't very competitive on the field but are in large markets and how it's projected that new tv deals might be on the way out because games can be streamed online instead is tv market still that big of a thing compared to the product on the field and making games enjoyable to watch? Second part is would a team like North Dakota State who as proven it on the field and has great tradtion be an ok school to look at? Just an honest question concerning the product seen on the field and making the conference better. Some will say its too far from a lot of the schools and I can see that but Hawaii is a bit far from well everything including the continent of north america. 

Probably not a good first post but I am human. Sorry.

Welcome to the MWC Board.  Have you ever met LakeBison by chance?

3 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Welcome to the MWC Board.  Have you ever met LakeBison by chance?

I have not met him but have read his work quit a bit! He kind of magically just shows up on every teams forum like some sort of wizard.

I will admit that I am a Bison fan but do enjoy watching Mountain West football with Boise State being the team that I follow or try to watch the most but will always try to watch the games when I can. It is challenging some times to stay up till midnight or so to see the end of a game here being in the central time zone.

3 hours ago, Wolverine said:

And 5 of the last 30.  What's your point?  Look, the Aggies have had a great season, and I for one hope they can build on what Coach Wells has put in place.  I have both a daughter and son-in-law who are USU graduates and we have a lot of fun with the BYU/USU rivalry.  For anyone to think that one institution has no need for the other when it comes to athletics is stupid.  BYU vs Utah State might very well be the end of season November conference rivalry game in the not too distant future.  Who knows what will happen to CFB come 2024.  Then again, with Hair in charge, there are no end of season conference rivalry games.

Is what happened 30 years ago, when the Aggies were playing three games in Provo for every game in Logan relevant now?

I'm not as opposed to NDSU as others, I'd definitely trade them out for SJSU, but there's just no real reason for the MW to expand at this point.

They have a proven track record in both football and basketball that is better than most of the MW. They're just really far away. But yeah, I'd definitely prefer them over UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice or anyone else.

12 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Is what happened 30 years ago, when the Aggies were playing three games in Provo for every game in Logan relevant now?

Who said anything about what happened 30 years ago?  So in your world, things that happened in the past have no relevance for you today?  Okay.

Just now, Wolverine said:

Who said anything bout what happened 30 years ago?  So in your world, things that happened in the past have no relevance for you today?  Okay.

You did. Looking back when BYU was getting 3-1 deals is not relevant today. 

22 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

You did. Looking back when BYU was getting 3-1 deals is not relevant today. 

Nope.  I referenced this season, last season, the season before that, and the season before that....well, a smart guy like you can even figure this one out.  You arbitrarily pointed out a 5 year stretch and I arbitrarily pointed out a 30 year stretch.  Like I said, what's your point?   The only thing truly relevant will be the results the next time the two teams square off in 2019.  And even then, the relevance lasts for about 4 hours. So BYU got 3 for 1 over the last 30 year stretch?  Thought so.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:04 PM, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

It's always been said that BYU left the old MWC because the Utes got the Pac invite and they wanted to pretend they weren't lower on the totem pole...

If that is indeed true... Was the MWC's addition of Utah State a death knell for any hope of bringing BYU back in, because then BYU would be seen as equal to Utah State??

We have seen that in CUSA, where Louisiana Tech has pulled out all the stops to NOT be in a conference with ULL and ULM.

With Hair working out the Boise Bowl invite with BYU, it may be a ray of light for BYU joining the new-generation MWC.

Perhaps Hair can sell them on a brand new vision of marketing the league. GONZAGA would've forced BYU's hand.

It makes me wonder if Hair has any kind of sweeteners that he can offer the ZAGS.

Time is running out with TV negotiations about to commence. If Thompson can pull off 1. Gonzaga to net 2. BYU, the MWC may be able to make up significant ground in TV talks...

But would BYU be able to concede equality to Utah State?

And who would the 14th team be? UTEP? 

USU > BYU

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 hours ago, ToTheMountains said:

I will admit that I am a Bison fan but do enjoy watching Mountain West football with Boise State being the team that I follow or try to watch the most but will always try to watch the games when I can. It is challenging some times to stay up till midnight or so to see the end of a game here being in the central time zone.

There aren't really any good options to add for the MWC right now. All of the teams in our geographical footprint not in our conference (or PAC12) suck. NMSU, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, UNT, Rice all have major drawbacks. BYU would be one to add, but I don't see anyone else. If we're adding FCS teams, I'd rather see UC Davis added than NDSU because they're closer, they're a huge school, they "bring" the Sacramento market, and have a proud century long football tradition. And their new stadium was built to expand to 30k.

But NDSU certainly has a great fanbase. If we could trade SJSU for you, I'd be for it.

13 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Nope.  I referenced this season, last season, the season before that, and the season before that....well, a smart guy like you can even figure this one out.  You arbitrarily pointed out a 5 year stretch and I arbitrarily pointed out a 30 year stretch.  Like I said, what's your point?   The only thing truly relevant will be the results the next time the two teams square off in 2019.  And even then, the relevance lasts for about 4 hours. So BYU got 3 for 1 over the last 30 year stretch?  Thought so.

Well, five years ago Utah State joined the Mountain West conference and began playing a home and home series with BYU. A level playing field if you will.

well, hold on. Rumors that the Big 10 is seriously targeting Oklahoma AND Texas in 2024-25. they're just going to have to find a way to get around the two state legislatures to not have to take Okie lite and TTech, lol.

anyway, going to be a different scenario in a few years, and I wouldn't take Rice and Utep any time soon.

3 hours ago, jackmormon said:

Well, five years ago Utah State joined the Mountain West conference and began playing a home and home series with BYU. A level playing field if you will.

C'mon Jack, you are a much better poster than this.  Utah State joined the MWC 8.5 years ago.  If you look at the totality of the BYU/USU series, I can only see one stretch of two 3 for 1's, and more 2 for 1's over the past 30 years.  I have no problem with H and H, as it is how it should be.  Utah State is on the rise right now, and BYU isn't.  It will be interesting to see if USU can maintain an upward trajectory, and I hope they do.

14 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

C'mon Jack, you are a much better poster than this.  Utah State joined the MWC 8.5 years ago.  If you look at the totality of the BYU/USU series, I can only see one stretch of two 3 for 1's, and more 2 for 1's over the past 30 years.  I have no problem with H and H, as it is how it should be.  Utah State is on the rise right now, and BYU isn't.  It will be interesting to see if USU can maintain an upward trajectory, and I hope they do.

Utah State joined the MWC on July 1, 2013. Starting in 1983, it has been all 2-1s and 3-1s until 2013.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Utah State joined the MWC on July 1, 2013. Starting in 1983, it has been all 2-1s and 3-1s until 2013.

When did USU join the WAC?  You know....the conference with Fresno, Boise, SJSU, Nevada, and Hawaii.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, nvspuds said:

OK.   Not sure why USU could never compete in the WAC, but has done much better in the MWC.

But even then, I wouldn't say USU has necessarily taken off as a football program, just because of MWC membership.

Their coach was on the verge of getting fired, and turned it around (and into a job with Texas Tech) by playing, and winning, an incredibly weak schedule this past season.  I mean, USU's best wins were against BYU (6-6) and Wyoming (6-6), and I think they've only won 1 P5 game in like 20 years.   They can be glad that they didn't play SDSU or Fresno.

A lot to prove still, if JackMormon's assertion that USU is now an elite power is to be taken seriously.

35 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Sorry Jack, I stand corrected.  For some reason I thought all of the WAC members came on board together, but I was wrong.