Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProprietyofLeyluken

Is Utah State keeping BYU out of the MWC?

It will be interesting to see how the negotiations go between BYU and ESPN next year.  No one knows for sure what the current contract is paying the zoobs.  Likely between $5 and $6 million per season.  Plus the provision that ESPN will provide a bowl for BYU on its network should the zoobs be bowl-eligible.  That’s what bumped BYU to the tater bowl.  BYU didn’t “steal” a bowl from Wyoming.  ESPN was contracturally required to place the zoobs.

IMO BYU is destined for continued sports mediocrity if it stays independent.  That’s absolutely fine with me. Would I be OK with them coming back to the MWC?  I’d prefer that the zoobs weren’t invited.  I don’t think they’d bring many more $ (<$500,000/school?) if they were invited and they bring a whole lot of baggage.  They can’t be trusted.  They would bolt at the first opportunity.  They sew discord.  Their fans are intolerable.  They’d expect privileges and accomodation.  And absent BYU’s conference affiliation with the MWC our schools are already playing them.  The zoobs desperately need MWC teams to fill out their schedule.  So what’s the point?

It's 5 of the original 6  MW members that will keep byu out, suds are traitors. We remember when byu tried to end the MWC and then got their own deal with espn. That's why we don't schedule them. If USU is joining us on not letting them in then I have a whole new respect for them. :friends:

4 hours ago, utaggies said:

Excellent point.  Zoobs seem happier as indy.

Their annual barnstorming tour of a handful of P5 programs on the road is followed by the middle of their schedule which looks a lot like the schedule of a G5 independent. At least they close out most years with something that resembles an MWC-ish schedule.

Enjoy that ride to Boise.  It is actually a decent bowl.  Fans in Boise are knowledgeable about the game.  Big switch from LES, and I am sure a few of them won't be too vocal about their support of anybody other than BYU.

9 hours ago, AggieSox said:

BYU is now our little sister in Football and they look like crap again this year in bball, not sure how USU will do.  But USU is glad to be in MWC and BYU is the jealous old girlfriend 

There is a lot of truth here.  GL in your bowl. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

well at least we know the final answer as to "why Utah State is so hated on here"

What?

The made up fantasy behind this thread, that BYU is somehow actively trying to rejoin the MWC (not true), and that Wyoming and USU are "big timing" BYU and keeping BYU out?

This is probably a fun fantasy for some of the people on this board that have BYU derangement syndrome (they appear to have lived out this fantasy in their head many times). 

But the reality is that BYU has expressed ZERO interest in rejoining the MWC, and didn't even do so last Spring when Gonzaga was using the MWC for a better payout from the WCC.   

Sorry.... but BYU is already in a non-football conference that has better or equal sports to the MWC, and is doing fine with scheduling as an Indy in football (just needs to have Sitake actually win some games, or fire his ass).  I don't think BYU is looking to jump back into the MWC (which isn't even the best G5 conference), where a large portion of the football and basketball games aren't even televised, and the Bowl situation is in rapid decline (losing the Poinsettia and the Las Vegas Bowls).

It is what it is. . . .

https://www.cougarboard.com/cougarsports/future_schedule.html

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What?

Things have changed.  Most here are pleased with Utah State stepping up.  I am not 100 percent sure Utah State votes NO on your attempt to return but I believe they will.  It takes more than 2 schools to block this.  Don’t just blame Utah State and Wyoming.  There are other MW schools that just don’t want to be associated with your school anymore.  With improved athletics maybe some might entertain this, but as it stands now it is just headaches. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, slappy said:

Things have changed.  Most here are pleased with Utah State stepping up.

I am not 100 percent sure Utah State votes NO on your attempt to return but I believe they will.  It takes more than 2 schools to block this.  Don’t just blame Utah State and Wyoming.  There are other MW schools that just don’t want to be associated with your school anymore.  With improved athletics maybe some might entertain this, but as it stands now it is just headaches. 

First, congrats to USU on a great football season.  Their fans can be proud that USU was ranked, and earned a reward of playing North Texas in the New Mexico Bowl (not a bad bowl game IMO).  USU's best win on the season was beating 6-6 BYU.   It's too bad that they played so many teams with losing records in their division (not their fault).  If their division had any good teams besides just Boise, they might have been ranked even higher.

Second, you hang tight to that fantasy you've created that BYU is actively trying to rejoin the MWC, and that BYU "doesn't have the votes" to get back in.   I can see why that fantasy excites you.  In your fantasy, a school like Wyoming is blocking BYU from rejoining the MWC (that'd be cool for you, I'm sure).    But at the end of the day....it's just a fantasy (sorry). 

32 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

First, congrats to USU on a great football season.  Their fans can be proud that USU was ranked, and earned a reward of playing North Texas in the New Mexico Bowl (not a bad bowl game IMO).  USU's best win on the season was beating 6-6 BYU.   It's too bad that they played so many teams with losing records in their division (not their fault).  If their division had any good teams besides just Boise, they might have been ranked even higher.

Second, you hang tight to that fantasy you've created that BYU is actively trying to rejoin the MWC, and that BYU "doesn't have the votes" to get back in.   I can see why that fantasy excites you.  In your fantasy, a school like Wyoming is blocking BYU from rejoining the MWC (that'd be cool for you, I'm sure).    But at the end of the day....it's just a fantasy (sorry). 

I am rarely wrong with these types of dealings.  Time will show me to be right.  

47 minutes ago, slappy said:

Things have changed.  Most here are pleased with Utah State stepping up.  I am not 100 percent sure Utah State votes NO on your attempt to return but I believe they will.  It takes more than 2 schools to block this.  Don’t just blame Utah State and Wyoming.  There are other MW schools that just don’t want to be associated with your school anymore.  With improved athletics maybe some might entertain this, but as it stands now it is just headaches. 

USU will vote how BYU tells them to.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Ya gotta love our wonderful Cougar guests.  

It appears, though, that we’ve struck the perfect deal.  No one wants BYU in the MWC and they don’t want to be here.  The only thing better would be for all MWC teams to quit playing them.  We wouldn’t want them to feel sullied.  I hear New Mexico St. would be willing to playnthem home and away.  If not them, perhaps Liberty.

9 minutes ago, utaggies said:

Ya gotta love our wonderful Cougar guests.  

It appears, though, that we’ve struck the perfect deal.  No one wants BYU in the MWC and they don’t want to be here.  The only thing better would be for all MWC teams to quit playing them.  We wouldn’t want them to feel sullied.  I hear New Mexico St. would be willing to playnthem home and away.  If not them, perhaps Liberty.

If they lose their bowl game they will again finish below .500. 

They need to schedule down a little to get back above .500. 

Espn is not happy with their investment.  You don’t pay$ to have a program that can not finish above .500

6 minutes ago, slappy said:

Espn is not happy with their investment.  You don’t pay$ to have a program that can not finish above .500

How do you know ESPN is not happy with their contract? Do you have a link?

v0icAvfW.jpg

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

How do you know ESPN is not happy with their contract? Do you have a link?How do you know ESPN is not happy with their contract? Do you have a link?

Common sense.  Better question for you is 

who is happy with below .500 football?

seriously you are smarter than that. 

11 minutes ago, slappy said:

You’d have to look at how well BYUs games have drawn viewers. What are the ratings? I think espn cares more about that than whether BYU wins or not, though those things are often tied together.

i haven’t looked at the ratings to make a compelling argument one way or the other. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

You’d have to look at how well BYUs games have drawn viewers. What are the ratings? I think espn cares more about that than whether BYU wins or not, though those things are often tied together.

i haven’t looked at the ratings to make a compelling argument one way or the other. 

There are articles out there demonstrating how BYU’s viewership #’s in their timeslots are favorable to the average.  There are many quotes from ESPN leadership saying they’re thrilled with the BYU relationship.  ESPN exercised the extension clause in the contract.  None of these things support slappy’s ignorant assumption.

v0icAvfW.jpg