Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

Utah State the biggest riser so far in Kenpom

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I had forgotten that Trent predates USU in the WAC.

Honestly, I still don't see how you couldn't call USU a rival back then.  Those games always brought a packed house with USU usually bringing a decent amount of fans with them. And USU knocked off some Pack teams with 1st round draft picks on the floor.

They also traveled well for the WAC tourney.

At that time, USU easily brought more fans to Lawlor than any other team.

Probably more than any team I can think of before or after 1985 when I first had season tickets.

Good fans, very loud.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I had forgotten that Trent predates USU in the WAC.

Honestly, I still don't see how you couldn't call USU a rival back then.  Those games always brought a packed house with USU usually bringing a decent amount of fans with them. And USU knocked off some Pack teams with 1st round draft picks on the floor.

They also traveled well for the WAC tourney.

Define rival..To me a rival is a school you want to beat even if it is your only win in a given season.  I never felt that way about uSU.  I do not think most USU fans consider Nevada as a rival in the same vein as BYU and Utah.  I personally latched onto Boise, Fresno and UNLV almost 50 years ago and stuck with that..

43 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i never hated nevada but i LOVED playing them and got really excited as a student in the crowd

I’ll bet you did, perv.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's really hard for a BW or WAC team to get out of the first rd. They are almost always the dogs. 

The days of UNLV and then NMSU making runs are long gone :crying:.  Now we're stuck with some Rainbows, Roadrunners and lord knows what else.

5 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

i think we've never been a viable tourney team

we've always been good enough to make it and only one time can I remember us actually competing -- with gary wilkinson and i *think* jared quayle against marquette.  

the rest of the time we looked like dog turd.

Say what? I'll never forget my first year of grad school when I was taking a short-nap after pulling an all-nighter for a take-home final. Just as I drifted off to sleep, my friend called me. "StanfordAggie, you have to get over here now! Utah State is in overtime!" That was during the Ohio State game. Also, you have forgotten about the year when USU could have (and probably should have) beaten Kansas in the first round. A Kansas team that ended up losing to Carmelo Anthony's Syracuse team in the final. As I recall, USU lost by three points after having two layups taken away for bogus charging calls and Desmond Penigar had a 3-pointer that rimmed out as the buzzer expired. Yeah, USU has had plenty of lop-sided first round losses in the NCAA tournament, but we have one tournament victory and several other close calls.

24 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Say what? I'll never forget my first year of grad school when I was taking a short-nap after pulling an all-nighter for a take-home final. Just as I drifted off to sleep, my friend called me. "StanfordAggie, you have to get over here now! Utah State is in overtime!" That was during the Ohio State game. Also, you have forgotten about the year when USU could have (and probably should have) beaten Kansas in the first round. A Kansas team that ended up losing to Carmelo Anthony's Syracuse team in the final. As I recall, USU lost by three points after having two layups taken away for bogus charging calls and Desmond Penigar had a 3-pointer that rimmed out as the buzzer expired. Yeah, USU has had plenty of lop-sided first round losses in the NCAA tournament, but we have one tournament victory and several other close calls.

#moralvictoriesjustlikefootball

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

25 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

#moralvictoriesjustlikefootball

I'll take a win over a moral victory any day. (And Ohio State was, in fact, a win the last time I checked.) But I was disagreeing with the claim that USU has never even been competitive in the tournament. Far too often we weren't, but we have one win and at least two games that jump to mind that went right down to the wire.

Outside of Marquette and Ohio state, we got beat handily. 

So, 2-5 in the big dance

I love stew and I love the Ags. Tons. But tournament performance and competitiveness aren't how I'd define the stew years of aggie basketball 

Hope Smith changes that. 

7 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

I'll take a win over a moral victory any day. (And Ohio State was, in fact, a win the last time I checked.) But I was disagreeing with the claim that USU has never even been competitive in the tournament. Far too often we weren't, but we have one win and at least two games that jump to mind that went right down to the wire.

Oh I know. I just wanted to be a cynical dick head. 

52 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What was his best seed?

he was also 0-4 in the NIT.

it's not like i expected sweet 16 runs.  i think he's only a game or two away from being respectable in the ncaa tournament as it's hard to win as an underseeded team.  what always bugged me about stew was the way the players looked totally surprised in the tournament.  for so long stew refused to allow the aggies to be big-timed and wouldn't play other programs as 1 and done or 2 or even 3 for 1.  it was reported that so very few teams were willing to play us in Logan and by consequence we had to shell out the cash to handle the lopsided deal and that wasn't an option.  we also were never invited to good pre-season tournaments.  it was only later on in his career that he agreed to do that, and the only one i can remember is a 1 and done with georgetown.

i think that in the big west and even the wac, Stew's floor was a post-season tournament appearance, not his ceiling.  nothing in his coach speak or scheduling philosophy showed that he was interested in playing the toughest opponent whenever and wherever he could, given the financial constraints of the program.  to me, our post season performance reflected poor preparation.

3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

he was also 0-4 in the NIT.

it's not like i expected sweet 16 runs.  i think he's only a game or two away from being respectable in the ncaa tournament as it's hard to win as an underseeded team.  what always bugged me about stew was the way the players looked totally surprised in the tournament.  for so long stew refused to allow the aggies to be big-timed and wouldn't play other programs as 1 and done or 2 or even 3 for 1.  it was reported that so very few teams were willing to play us in Logan and by consequence we had to shell out the cash to handle the lopsided deal and that wasn't an option.  we also were never invited to good pre-season tournaments.  it was only later on in his career that he agreed to do that, and the only one i can remember is a 1 and done with georgetown.

i think that in the big west and even the wac, Stew's floor was a post-season tournament appearance, not his ceiling.  nothing in his coach speak or scheduling philosophy showed that he was interested in playing the toughest opponent whenever and wherever he could, given the financial constraints of the program.  to me, our post season performance reflected poor preparation.

The only knock on Stew I have was his OOC scheduling.  He wouldn't do a 2 for 1 or a one time road game with a P5.  And he would sometimes whine about not getting selected or having too low of a seed.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 12/3/2018 at 11:30 PM, AndroidAggie said:

Outside of Marquette and Ohio state, we got beat handily. 

So, 2-5 in the big dance

I love stew and I love the Ags. Tons. But tournament performance and competitiveness aren't how I'd define the stew years of aggie basketball 

Hope Smith changes that. 

Like I said, you should add Kansas to the list of games where we were competitive. I honestly thought that the 2002-2003 team was one of Stew's best teams that ended up with a low seed because of some inexplicable bad losses. I wonder how far that team could have made it if they gotten the upset versus Kansas. But otherwise I unfortunately agree with your sentiment.

It's always struck me how similar our two programs are. Founded the same year, both called Aggies, and our modern NCAA experience has always been tinged with close losses. Our teams this year are very similar in style and depth except y'all are bigger. I think your Kenpom rating is justified, but ours is a bit too low. Beating UNM by 35 jumped us by 20 slots, though, maybe the data needs more time to settle.

Also, you have forgotten about the year when USU could have (and probably should have) beaten Kansas in the first round. A Kansas team that ended up losing to Carmelo Anthony's Syracuse team in the final. As I recall, USU lost by three points after having two layups taken away for bogus charging calls and Desmond Penigar had a 3-pointer that rimmed out as the buzzer expired.

That sounds exactly like the phantom lane violation that lost us the first-round match against Michigan State. That MSU team went to the Final Four. Hopefully we beat Kansas on Saturday.  It'll at least make the UNM fans feel better about their loss. :p

Back in the WAC, since we had no chance in football, we definitely viewed Nevada and USU to be rivals in basketball. I know for sure quite a few USU fans hated us and our team, especially since NMSU had the habit of losing to bad teams and then splitting games with nationally ranked UNR and USU teams and/or winning the conference auto-bid. TBH, I miss those days. GCU and Seattle just aren't as good as Nevada and Utah State.