Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thespywhozaggedme

O.T. Look at Bama's schedule for next season

10 minutes ago, alum93 said:

It's also highly unlikely that a 2 win team leapfrogs a 1 loss conference champion like Georgia would have had to this year over Oklahoma or Ohio State.  3 losses?  No chance, even if your name is Alabama.  Of course, the odds of Alabama losing 3 are also pretty small as long as Saban is roaming the sidelines.

Especially with that weak a$$ schedule.

6 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

And that's my point. They are the best team in college football they do not need to play that disgraceful out of conference schedule. A few posters here don't seem to grasp the fact that you can be the best team and still play a God awful out of conference schedule. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive and Alabama is evidence of that.

15 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Right, because South Carolina, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi State, and Auburn is so easy.  Got it.  What's the MWC record against the SEC for last 10 years?  Or BiG?  Or ACC?   Just curious.

1 minute ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

And that's my point. They are the best team in college football they do not need to play that disgraceful out of conference schedule. A few posters here don't seem to grasp the fact that you can be the best team and still play a God awful out of conference schedule. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive and Alabama is evidence of that.

I would like to see Bama play at least one top team OOC, but they know that all they have to do is finish 1st or 2nd in the SEC and no one will care about what they did against anyone else, so why risk it. At this point they're just taking advantage of the situation. We need for the playoff committee to put a little more stock into non conference schedules.

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

No, I'm not. I've just been around long enough to understand how the game of big time college football developed. It's always been an embarrassment of riches for the big time blue bloods of the sport. As well it should be, they have been playing big time college football for 100+ years. Their boosters and fans have provided huge support for 100+ years. Check out some of the construction dates of the huge stadiums many of these teams play in; I just find it interesting that so many relative newcomers bitch and moan about the way things are and want to pass rules so things a "fairer".  Big time college sports aren't a freaking charity, they're business, always have been.

Also, let's not forget that the Alabama's, Michigan's, Ohio State's, etc. also pay big dollars for those extra home games; often $1-2 million. Big dollars which help fund many smaller and up and coming programs. Big dollars which they can afford because they have 100,000 fans/boosters who will buy expensive tickets for 7 home games a year. Get back to me when any of the smaller conference teams can pay that kind of money for extra home games.

Like I said in the other thread, a little less idealism and a little more pragmatism.

I understand that college football has always been business, but it is also a sport, which in my naive, purist world, should have somewhat of a level playing field for the sake of the competitors.

I've been financially supporting my golf habit for years on great courses with the finest equipment money can buy, so let's you and I play for money.  I'll even pay for your green fees, to complete the "paying for extra home games" analogy. 

BTW, you only get to use rope, not golf clubs...best of luck! :ph34r:

Or more analogy-accurate, I'll only play for money on my home course, where I know every subtle break on the greens and every hidden landing spot on blind shots.  And for my out of conference golf matches, I refuse to travel more than 100 miles (as I need a good night's sleep in my own bed and... well, I've been playing big time golf for quite some time and am just entitled to it!)

19 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

I understand that college football has always been business, but it is also a sport, which in my naive, purist world, should have somewhat of a level playing field for the sake of the competitors.

I've been financially supporting my golf habit for years on great courses with the finest equipment money can buy, so let's you and I play for money.  I'll even pay for your green fees, to complete the "paying for extra home games" analogy. 

BTW, you only get to use rope, not golf clubs...best of luck! :ph34r:

Or more analogy-accurate, I'll only play for money on my home course, where I know every subtle break on the greens and every hidden landing spot on blind shots.  And for my out of conference golf matches, I refuse to travel more than 100 miles (as I need a good night's sleep in my own bed and... well, I've been playing big time golf for quite some time and am just entitled to it!)

If i'm Tiger Woods in my prime and you are an average or even above average pro golfer,  i would destroy you on your home course, my home course, and pretty much anywhere else.  Alabama is Tiger Woods in his prime.  Clemson and Oklahoma can give them a game and even beat them because they are top 5 programs.  i suppose Notre Dame has a puncher's chance.  But until other programs can start consistently beating the top SEC team in the biggest games year after year after year, they have earned their reputation.  What would the perception of Ohio State and Michigan be if the BiG had won 8 out of the last 10 national championship and favored for another?  Eventually, the SEC may not be top dog, ditto for Alabama.  Right now though they are.  

46 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Right, because South Carolina (7-5), Ole Miss (5-7), Texas A&M (8-4), Tennessee (5-7), Arkansas (2-10), LSU (9-3), Mississippi State (8-4), and Auburn (7-5) is so easy.  Got it.  What's the MWC record against the SEC for last 10 years?  Or BiG?  Or ACC?   Just curious.

Those are teams that all know each other very well, which matters a lot. I used to bet on college football a lot and one thing I realized is that it became a lot tougher to bet once conference play started because the teams know each other so well and upsets start to happen far more often because of that familiarity. If Boise or Fresno were in the SEC they'd eventually keep up. Plus, is the SEC really that good, or are they another product of the ESPN hype machine. (Alabama IS currently that good and they've proven it, I'm talking about the rest of the SEC, although I do like Georgia)

Again, lets take a look at the OOC schedules for those SEC teams you listed.

South Carolina - Coastal Carolina, Marshall (CXLD), Chattanooga, Akron

Ole Miss - Texas Tech - W, So. Illinois, Kent St, Louisiana-Monroe

Texas A&M - NW State, Clemson - L, Louisiana-Monroe, UAB

Tennessee - W. Virginia - L, ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte 

Arkansas - E. Illinois, Colorado St., North Texas, Tulsa

LSU - MIami - W, SE Louisiana, LA Tech, Rice

Miss. State - Stephen F. Austin, Kansas St., LA-Lafayette, LA Tech

Auburn - Washington - W, Alabama St., So. Miss, LIberty

So out of all those non conference games, I see 5 tough games and the SEC went 3-2. So its not like the SEC is dominating the nation. I guarantee you if the SEC teams played tougher non conference opponents, their chances of making the CFP would drop significantly, which is why they don't do it, because they'd get a little exposed.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

That'd be fine and good if they weren't actively trying to shut the door behind them. 

Also, they are actually a nonprofit, and not a business. Make a donation to Nevada football, and enjoy the deduction.

Like a megachurch is a nonprofit, I gets it.  Staff get raises, no profit made, amirite? :banana:

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Like a megachurch is a nonprofit, I gets it.  Staff get raises, no profit made, amirite? :banana:

Having unpaid labor certainly helps the bottom line, too.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Right, because South Carolina, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi State, and Auburn is so easy.  Got it.  What's the MWC record against the SEC for last 10 years?  Or BiG?  Or ACC?   Just curious.

A. All of those teams other than TAMU and LSU are average or below average, I think you're basing them off of the name on the front of the jersey as opposed to the talent, or lack thereof inside them and  B. You know very well that we were specifically discussing their ooc. 

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

If i'm Tiger Woods in my prime and you are an average or even above average pro golfer,  i would destroy you on your home course, my home course, and pretty much anywhere else.  Alabama is Tiger Woods in his prime.  Clemson and Oklahoma can give them a game and even beat them because they are top 5 programs.  i suppose Notre Dame has a puncher's chance.  But until other programs can start consistently beating the top SEC team in the biggest games year after year after year, they have earned their reputation.  What would the perception of Ohio State and Michigan be if the BiG had won 8 out of the last 10 national championship and favored for another?  Eventually, the SEC may not be top dog, ditto for Alabama.  Right now though they are.  

The difference is Tiger Woods got to where he was by practicing, practicing, practicing.  Now I understand that Tiger also had the DNA for that hard work to pay off like it never would for me, regardless of how much time I spent on the driving range/putting green, but nonetheless, he did truly "earn" his reputation.

In many cases, the early foundation of some if not most of the Blue Bloods was at best, bought, not earned and at worst, built through outright cheating. Unlimited scholarships prior to '73 giving some schools at the time as many as 150 scholarship players (as many as you could afford was the rule of the day), paying of top athletes or athlete's families to get them to your school, poor to non-existent academic standards for athletes, etc., etc., etc.

Nebraska is a great case study (at least for my agenda!):  One of the big "unlimited scholarship" schools that built their winning reputation on the fact that they could afford to have great athletes as starters AND great depth due to paying for anyone's education that was a good enough football player.  With a tradition of winning and winning and winning, they built/bought their Blue Blood reputation and the fans and the money kept growing.  With scholarship limits applied (and I'm sure some other NCAA rules that exposed Nebraska's poor location and less-than-ideal circumstances) to level the playing field, Nebraska has faded tremendously.  

I'm not saying a balanced home and away schedule would change Alabama's reputation or their enviable record instantly, but it would be to me an equitable solution to an obviously unfair competitive advantage.  Are you against scholarship limits?  I think it's a comparable existing rule to a potential rule of mandatory balanced home and away schedules.

2 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

Those are teams that all know each other very well, which matters a lot. I used to bet on college football a lot and one thing I realized is that it became a lot tougher to bet once conference play started because the teams know each other so well and upsets start to happen far more often because of that familiarity. If Boise or Fresno were in the SEC they'd eventually keep up. Plus, is the SEC really that good, or are they another product of the ESPN hype machine. (Alabama IS currently that good and they've proven it, I'm talking about the rest of the SEC, although I do like Georgia)

Again, lets take a look at the OOC schedules for those SEC teams you listed.

South Carolina - Coastal Carolina, Marshall (CXLD), Chattanooga, Akron

Ole Miss - Texas Tech - W, So. Illinois, Kent St, Louisiana-Monroe

Texas A&M - NW State, Clemson - L, Louisiana-Monroe, UAB

Tennessee - W. Virginia - L, ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte 

Arkansas - E. Illinois, Colorado St., North Texas, Tulsa

LSU - MIami - W, SE Louisiana, LA Tech, Rice

Miss. State - Stephen F. Austin, Kansas St., LA-Lafayette, LA Tech

Auburn - Washington - W, Alabama St., So. Miss, LIberty

So out of all those non conference games, I see 5 tough games and the SEC went 3-2. So its not like the SEC is dominating the nation. I guarantee you if the SEC teams played tougher non conference opponents, their chances of making the CFP would drop significantly, which is why they don't do it, because they'd get a little exposed.

In LSU's defense, Miami was a preseason Top 10 but fell on their face this season so when that was scheduled I think that might have been though the best OOC game SEC had this year.

Don't teams like Bama and LSU regularly schedule really good teams to start the season? Duke is pretty meh, but we're just one year removed from them opening with the preseason #3 team and The Rose Bowl Champs the year before the that. 

The biggest gripe with SEC scheduling is that they won't move to 9 games, but that seems like something Go5 fans should be very opposed to.