Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

No Bowl For Wyoming

19 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Is the hotel tax a flat fee or a percentage of the cost of a room?  

%...% of the Sale, thus a Sales Tax.

29 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Is the hotel tax a flat fee or a percentage of the cost of a room?  

Occupancy tax is a tax on the rental of rooms that your state or locality may require. In many places this is known as an occupancy tax, but may also be known as a lodging tax, a room tax, a sales tax, a tourist tax, or a hotel tax. Occupancy tax rates and rules vary by city, county, state, and country.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

20 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Laramie Lanes and all the White Russians we can drink!!!

I'm surprised that Chippers Lanes and Jims Wings didn't put together a package deal for a trip to Fort Collins.

20 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Occupancy tax is a tax on the rental of rooms that your state or locality may require. In many places this is known as an occupancy tax, but may also be known as a lodging tax, a room tax, a sales tax, a tourist tax, or a hotel tax. Occupancy tax rates and rules vary by city, county, state, and country.

To an accountant, a hotel tax is not a sales tax because it is not tax deductible.  To the consumer it has the same characteristics as a sales tax. The reason local governments implement hotel or room taxes is because they want to take extra money from visitors and not burden their residents.

5 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I'm surprised that Chippers Lanes and Jims Wings didn't put together a package deal for a trip to Fort Collins.

Chippers doesn't have the Burns boys presiding over the fun!!!

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Artist formerly known as Hal said:

Taxation is theft 

Just the price we pay for living in a civilized society........oh wait, I forgot, you live in Idaho

30 minutes ago, HiCountryCowboy said:

And the cocksuckers can’t find enough ways to do it or ever get enough 

and you live in Wyoming:rimshot1:

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

To an accountant, a hotel tax is not a sales tax because it is not tax deductible.  To the consumer it has the same characteristics as a sales tax. The reason local governments implement hotel or room taxes is because they want to take extra money from visitors and not burden their residents.

I agree with you.  It's a sales tax in my opinion.  In some states, such as Wyo, it is in the same statute as sales tax.  Lodging tax is deductible if it's for business, right?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 hours ago, pokebball said:

As an aside, occupancy taxes are often used to fund things like convention and visitors bureaus. Which in turn are expected to increase visitors that will spend money in your city, which increases sales tax revenues, and brings income to local employers, that at least is the theory. 

12 hours ago, renoskier said:

Just the price we pay for living in a civilized society........oh wait, I forgot, you live in Idaho

and you live in Wyoming:rimshot1:

Actually live in CO. The Californians that ran from excessive taxes have flooded us and passed new taxes once they got here. Head scratching. 

Edit: We do have a Tax Payers Bill of Rights amendment in the state constitution that is the only thing keeping them from ALL of our hard earned money :)

9 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Lodging is not a sale. There is no transition of ownership.

Why is there “Sales Tax” when you rent a car then?