Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

No Bowl For Wyoming

10 hours ago, renoskier said:

Wait, are you saying Boise is closer to more population and easier to get to than Denver/Fort Collins?

Image result for okay gif

Boise has an airport 5 minutes from the stadium

DIA is somewhere between Denver and Kansas and gets you about 2 hours from Fort Collins if it isn't snowing.

22 minutes ago, easybronc said:

Boise has an airport 5 minutes from the stadium

DIA is somewhere between Denver and Kansas and gets you about 2 hours from Fort Collins if it isn't snowing.

DIA has hundreds of direct flights from all over the country....Boise, not so much.

BTW, Fort Collins is 1 hour from DIA.

Also, I'm not saying get rid of the Potato Bowl, just saying that if a bowl could work in Boise, and it has for 20+ years, adding a new bowl in Fort Collins could work.

18 minutes ago, renoskier said:

DIA has hundreds of direct flights from all over the country....Boise, not so much.

BTW, Fort Collins is 1 hour from DIA.

Also, I'm not saying get rid of the Potato Bowl, just saying that if a bowl could work in Boise, and it has for 20+ years, adding a new bowl in Fort Collins could work.

I guess they built a new road since I lived in Fort Collins but its still not viable for a bowl.  There isn't enough local support, not enough college football fans in the area, and 7-5 MAC and Sunbelt teams don't travel more than 100 fans.  

48 minutes ago, easybronc said:

I guess they built a new road since I lived in Fort Collins but its still not viable for a bowl.  There isn't enough local support, not enough college football fans in the area, and 7-5 MAC and Sunbelt teams don't travel more than 100 fans.  

If/when the Las Vegas Bowl goes away, should the conference just stand pat?

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

If/when the Las Vegas Bowl goes away, should the conference just stand pat?

NO.  The MW needs to create and fund its own bowl for our champion or the runner up some years.  Conference dollars need to be funneled to this bowl.  The payout needs to be large enough to attract P5 participants and the location should be SD or LV.  Take our money and invest in ourselves.   300k per school per year should cover this.  It is a drop in the bucket and this would provide us with a much needed bowl game that has value.  

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

SD is a not a great location for people to get to. Way too expensive to travel there and stay there

Ok Bob Vegas it is.  Unlv is building a fancy new stadium.  State of the art I hear.  Point is why not create our own solution.  Why not fund it ourselves.  Makes no sense to me.  

8 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

¡¡¡WRONG!!!

A hotel tax is a specific type of "sales tax."

The hotel tax is separate from the sales and use tax.  It is created by a completely different statute, controlled by different administrative law, and used to tax a different realm of financial transactions.  Sales and use taxes are used, generally, to tax the transfer of personal property.  The hotel tax is used to tax the occupancy of short-term lodging.  They are not analogous taxes.  One tax is not included within the other.

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

Wait, are you saying Boise is closer to more population and easier to get to than Denver/Fort Collins?

Image result for okay gif

Nope, but you didn't compare Boise to Denver/ FoCo. Based on your broad statement, I presented facts that say otherwise.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

56 minutes ago, Pelado said:

The hotel tax is separate from the sales and use tax.  It is created by a completely different statute, controlled by different administrative law, and used to tax a different realm of financial transactions.  Sales and use taxes are used, generally, to tax the transfer of personal property.  The hotel tax is used to tax the occupancy of short-term lodging.  They are not analogous taxes.  One tax is not included within the other.

Sales Tax

What is a 'Sales Tax'

A sales tax is a consumption tax imposed by the government on the sale of goods and services. A conventional sales tax is levied at the point of sale, collected by the retailer, and passed on to the government. A business is liable for sales taxes in a given jurisdiction if it has a nexus there, which can be a brick-and-mortar location, an employee, an affiliate, or some other presence, depending on the laws in that jurisdiction. 

Read more: Sales Tax https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/salestax.asp#ixzz5YkduRmNM 

Is the transaction to pay for a night at a hotel room "...the sale of goods...(or) services?"  YES

Is it "...levied at the point of sale?"  YES 

Is it "...collected by the retailer?"  YES

Is it "...passed on th the government?"  YES

I'm guessing in your specific type of wrk, y'all classify taxes hyper-specifically.  However to the casual civilian & invetopedia.com, a Hotel Tax is a type of Sales Tax.

¿@mugtang are you at Tax or Audit guy?

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

Is the transaction to pay for a night at a hotel room "...the sale of goods...(or) services?"  YES

I'm guessing in your specific type of wrk, y'all classify taxes hyper-specifically.  However to the casual civilian & invetopedia.com, a Hotel Tax is a type of Sales Tax.

The hotel tax is completely separate from a sales & use tax.  Yes, I am a tax accountant. 

down in a hole.jpg

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Nope.  Not for goods or services.  It's for the right to occupy a room on a short-term basis.

8 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Nope.  Not for goods or services.  It's for the right to occupy a room on a short-term basis.

How is staying in a hotel room not receiving a service?

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

How is staying in a hotel room not receiving a service?

I'll let Wikipedia pick up wherever CSU has failed you:

Services are activities provided by other people, who include doctors, lawn care workers, dentists, barbers, waiters, or online servers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goods_and_services

1 hour ago, Broncomare said:

The hotel tax is completely separate from a sales & use tax.  Yes, I am a tax accountant. 

Is the hotel tax a flat fee or a percentage of the cost of a room?