Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

No Bowl For Wyoming

5 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

Obviously you haven't spent any time in Nevada (as a citizen).

There's only one group in Vegas and/or Reno that controls local politics.  I'll give you a hint...it isn't UNLV or UNR and you've probably "donated" to this business group.

Any guesses?

3 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

I lived in NoNV briefly in the mid-'90's, wrk'g for NewsChannel8/KOLO-TV/ABC in Reno.

Oh ya...that "business group" wasn't built on winners.

4 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Ah you do know...I take it all back!

¡GRACIAS @SparkysDad!

On top of that, I enjoyed my time up there last-month for CSU-@-Nevada in f'ball.  @mugtang & his fellow boosters know how to do the game day experience right!!!

15 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

No...not at all.  I'm just not shy when it comes to using this new internet tool called:  GOOGLE

=========================================

Ave Low in Dec in FoCo:  +17.2*f

The same reason a bowl game is boise is an AWFUL IDEA:

And yet they've successfully held one for more than 20 years.

You're the one who's bitching about Bowl access for the conference. Instead of whining, why don't you propose some constructive solution?

33 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You're the one who's bitching about Bowl access for the conference. Instead of whining, why don't you propose some constructive solution?

I guess we have different definitions of "successful."

I have "proposed some constructive solutions..." in the past.  In SoCal alone there are some GREAT venues that could host a new Bowl w/MWC tie-ins:

StubHub Center - Dominguez Hills, SoCal (home to the LA Galaxy & temp home for the SD Chargers)

Angeles Stadium - Anaheim, SoCal (frmrly the Big A & host of the Freedom Bowl)

Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles, SoCal (BRAND NEW...home to Los Angeles FC (MSL))

LA Colosseum - Los Angeles, SoCal (Home to USC...frmr site of 2-Olympiads)

...the P5's attempt to blackball the G5 schools from bowl match-ups makes the viability of bowl at these venues somewhat dicey.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

No, that's not what I said, I just want the "term sheet" deal to go away.

Do you think Boise would leave if they didn't get extra ESPN money?

Where would they go?

NO SPECIAL DEALS - Eventually BSU & the MWC will have to come to terms on BSU's TV deal I'm guessing, especially if TV $$ are down next time around............Unless BSU gets an ESPN deal, that requires the opponent to be other MWC teams, at least that way some other MWC teams get some ESPN time 

35 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I actually agree with GoState (rarely is that true).  However, after watching the CSU-Idaho ice rink debacle and the Wyoming game last year, I don't believe that the Potato Bowl is a viable long term location. 

If someone gave me a magic wand, I would create a novel concept of a 2 for 1 bowl package in Vegas on the same day (i.e. the MWC has 2 bowl tie-ins in Vegas with every person that buys a ticket gaining access to both games similar to the NCAA basketball tournament).  This would create a unique all day football event and would be a positive for the MWC because likely the fans from the MWC schools that stick around and watch both games will be rooting for the MWC teams.  Vegas travel is pleasant, simple and relatively cheap for just about the entire United States.

10 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I actually agree with GoState (rarely is that true).  However, after watching the CSU-Idaho ice rink debacle and the Wyoming game last year, I don't believe that the Potato Bowl is a viable long term location. 

If someone gave me a magic wand, I would create a novel concept of a 2 for 1 bowl package in Vegas on the same day (i.e. the MWC has 2 bowl tie-ins in Vegas with every person that buys a ticket gaining access to both games similar to the NCAA basketball tournament).  This would create a unique all day football event and would be a positive for the MWC because likely the fans from the MWC schools that stick around and watch both games will be rooting for the MWC teams.  Vegas travel is pleasant, simple and relatively cheap for just about the entire United States.

I'm not trying to defend Boise as some ideal Bowl location but maybe we should ask some Boise residents if the game is considered a success. How long does it have to survive to be considered viable? I think this year will be #22.

I like your 2 for 1 concept.

58 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You seem to be an expert on this bowl stuff.

Why don't the Fort Collins movers and shakers start a new Bowl with MWC tie-ins in that shiny new stadium?

There some support for you idea over at RamNation.com

https://coloradostate.sportswar.com/mid/11098090/board/ramnationathletics/

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

There some support for you idea over at RamNation.com

https://coloradostate.sportswar.com/mid/11098090/board/ramnationathletics/

IMO, although not ideal,  it would be a better location than Boise.

Closer to large population centers and an easier location to get to for most of the country.

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Closer to large population centers and an easier location to get to for most of the country.

ALL TRUE:  "not ideal....(yet) better...than boise."

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

The tax is a direct derivative of financial transaction...a "sale" if you will.  Thus, it's a Sales Tax.  

Call it what every you like.  Give the money to whom ever you like.  Charge the tax to whom ever you like.  Who pays it, or who receives the revenue doesn't change the fact is a:  SALES TAX.

There's no getting around it:  it's a form of Sales Tax.

By your "logic", any tax that is a direct derivative of a financial transaction would be considered a sales tax.

A common type of financial transaction is payroll - an employee being paid for his/her services.  The income tax is a direct derivative of that financial transaction.  As such, the personal income tax must also be a sales tax.

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

The tax is a direct derivative of financial transaction...a "sale" if you will.  Thus, it's a Sales Tax.  

Call it what every you like.  Give the money to whom ever you like.  Charge the tax to whom ever you like.  Who pays it, or who receives the revenue doesn't change the fact is a:  SALES TAX.

There's no getting around it:  it's a form of Sales Tax.

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

By your "logic", any tax that is a direct derivative of a financial transaction would be considered a sales tax.

A common type of financial transaction is payroll - an employee being paid for his/her services.  The income tax is a direct derivative of that financial transaction.  As such, the personal income tax must also be a sales tax.

GREAT...you can read the first phrase & stop.  Thus taking my comment out-of-context.

Read the first two sentences & you'll be all good.

Just now, GoState99755 said:

GREAT...you can read the first phrase & stop.  Thus taking my comment out-of-context.

Read the first two sentences & you'll be all good.

A hotel tax is not a sales tax.  Can you make it through that sentence?

6 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

That's semantical BS.  The BoR is your Board of Dir.  So your board owns your arena.  UNR is a subset of the Board.  Y'all are all part of the same entity.  

From where I sit, UNR owns Lawlor.  

BTW...I saw The Dave Mathews Band there in the mid-'90's.  Like most buildings that size...HORRIBLE ACOUSTICS.

No its not. Talk to the Board of Regents and the legislature in Nevada it is very specific, UNR DOES NOT own Lawlor Events Center. If UNR wants to use it, they pay rent to Board of Regents because they are the ones that own it under the state legislature. The women's and men's basketball teams had to pay rent for practice and game days up until 2011 when the BoR Ok'd the teams not paying rent there anymore. However any time any department at the university wants to use Lawlor they have to pay a rent check to BofR. When UNR has their graduation in December, they have to pay to use it. 

I'm sorry you and sactown are so butthurt by something you two developed in your minds as the truth and are trying to find ways to make them true when they aren't.  But I guess the BYU hatred runs deep for you two.

7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

It’s not under the same deal.   UNLV gets quite a bit of revenue from the Thomas and Mack center.   For someone calling others crazy you don’t seem that informed. 

I don't know how UNLV does their stuff down there, sometimes i wonder if UNLV does either, however I can only say for how it is run up here.

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

No its not. Talk to the Board of Regents and the legislature in Nevada it is very specific, UNR DOES NOT own Lawlor Events Center. If UNR wants to use it, they pay rent to Board of Regents because they are the ones that own it under the state legislature. The women's and men's basketball teams had to pay rent for practice and game days up until 2011 when the BoR Ok'd the teams not paying rent there anymore. However any time any department at the university wants to use Lawlor they have to pay a rent check to BofR. When UNR has their graduation in December, they have to pay to use it. 

I'm sorry you and sactown are so butthurt by something you two developed in your minds as the truth and are trying to find ways to make them true when they aren't.  But I guess the BYU hatred runs deep for you two.

Where did I say anything about Lawlor?   All I said is Thompson is a shitty negotiator which has been proven repeatedly.

5 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Novel idea.  Interesting.

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

You seem to be an expert on this bowl stuff.

Why don't the Fort Collins movers and shakers start a new Bowl with MWC tie-ins in that shiny new stadium?

I have been clamoring for a "Mile High Bowl" in Denver  forever.  It would be a success.  Denver is a huge tourist destination over the holidays and this would fit in.  MWC vs B12 would be a perfect fit.  B12 overload DIA that time of year to hit the slopes,

#sellouts

5 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Despite over two decades of play? That's kind of like saying you don't believe the MWC is a viable conference.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

A population of over 700k, and less than eight hours drive and direct flights from Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, as well as direct flights from the Bay Area, SoCal, San Diego, Phoenix, and Denver doesn't fit the criteria?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes