Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

No Bowl For Wyoming

10 hours ago, sactowndog said:

True if BYU was 7-5 or 8-4 I would be less concerned.  But why should a 6-6 BYU bump a 6-6 Wyoming from a MWC affiliated bowl?  

Uh, dude this was all explained on the very first page. What are you missing here?

It should bother you.  ESPN is taking care of its core properties (BYU and Boise) at the expense of the rest of the MWC.  Thompson is just the ***** along for the ride. 

No, again, Wyo was screwed, they weren't going to a Bowl game, end of story.

I get BYU’s agreement undercuts the MWC’s poor and already limited bowl opportunities.   I also get Thompson is a piss poor negotiator.   

1) Thompson should be clear ESPN quit placing BYU over MWC teams in MWC bowl slots or refuse to clear open dates in Oct/Nov and reserve them for league games only.   

2) Thompson should only agreed to the trade if BYU was put in a non MWC affiliated bowl.   

Man everyone is explaining it to you right after you post. Are you not reading the replies?

Perhaps.  Boise playing in Boise like the rest of us is a problem? 

Oh now I get it.

So fuking butthurt, even after you guys win the Conference you still have some massive inferiority complex regarding Boise State. I was wondering what you were going on about, but you just feel like such a small-time piss ant you wanted Boise State to "have to" play in the Potato Bowl and all your hopes and dreams got smashed over the weekend.

LMFAO! So pathetic. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

My guess is the MWC will lose its tie in to the LV Bowl and be replaced by a P5. I would like to see the Kraft Bowl at AT&T Park come back, the MWC vs a P5, no BYU wild card allowed. Play the game later like when Nevada played Boston College when there are less games to compete with, it's a tourist area and a fun place to visit.

12 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

No we don't own Lawlor Events Center. Board of Regents owns Lawlor and every time an event is held there they must pay rent to Board of Regents. The only people except from paying rent is Nevada men's and women's basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas & Mack Center in Vegas is under the same deal. And again no, UNLV has no leverage with the deal, they are piggybacking on it because that is the only way they can get a new stadium to play in and get out of Sam Boyd. However visitors to Las Vegas are also paying the tax as well as they put a hotel tax as a way to pay for it also. So every person coming and staying in Vegas is paying for it. Same way they helped raise money for Thomas & Mack back in the day. 

That's semantical BS.  The BoR is your Board of Dir.  So your board owns your arena.  UNR is a subset of the Board.  Y'all are all part of the same entity.  

From where I sit, UNR owns Lawlor.  

BTW...I saw The Dave Mathews Band there in the mid-'90's.  Like most buildings that size...HORRIBLE ACOUSTICS.

1 hour ago, SparkysDad said:

Obviously you haven't spent any time in Nevada (as a citizen).

There's only one group in Vegas and/or Reno that controls local politics.  I'll give you a hint...it isn't UNLV or UNR and you've probably "donated" to this business group.

Any guesses?

I lived in NoNV briefly in the mid-'90's, wrk'g for NewsChannel8/KOLO-TV/ABC in Reno.

Oh ya...that "business group" wasn't built on winners.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

This shows you don't know what you're talking about. Sales tax is not being used to fund this stadium.

The bonds are being funded by a .88% increase in the hotel room tax. Collections are currently ahead of the projected budget.

???

Hotel rooms are sold/rented ¿NO?  Thus, your "hotel room tax" is a type of Sales Tax ¿NO?

2 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

???

Hotel rooms are sold/rented ¿NO?  Thus, your "hotel room tax" is a type of Sales Tax ¿NO?

No, it isn't. Completely different. Different taxing authority and the cost fall to a different population. 

I would have liked if Pokes got in a bowl game.  But as it is, they don't deserve a bowl over any other MW team that got bowl games.  Wyoming beat the teams they were supposed to but didn't win against the better teams.  They basically just salvaged their 2-6 season with the last 4 wins.  Next year, offensively looks more promising although defense may not be quite as good, we'll see.  So disappointed with no bowl game but optimistic with the way the season ended. 

14 hours ago, Utefan1211 said:

Eyeballs. The Bay Area has 10 million eyeballs and Vegas has 2 million. A few  hundred thousand in these cities will watch simply because of the city names. People won’t watch Wyoming because of the name. 

If BYU, UNLV, San Jose State and Wyoming all end up 6-6 and only 3 get in a bowl, Wyoming will ALWAYS be on the outside looking in. 

Eyeball$

Got it?

14 hours ago, pokebball said:

Where do you suppose all those San Jose State eyeballs are during season play?

https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

According to this research, Wyoming is second only to Boise State in terms of solid fan base. We're already seeing the fallout from TV trying to use simple, unsophisticated metrics in measuring TV market. Wyoming delivers all of the markets that encompass Wyoming, good chunks of the Colorado and Northern Utah markets, and then there are the diaspora eyes from coast to coast. I'd bet pretty good money that no other fan base has a higher percentage of fans and alumni beyond its borders...

Fan support also bears out in merchandise sales, social media activity, booster club numbers, and even membership on this board...

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-mtwest-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-westathletic-blog480.png

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

I don’t understand all the squabbling about a 6-6 Wyoming team not getting into the Potato Bowl. Especially a crappy bowl like the Potato Bowl in freezing weather. Last year Wyoming brought about 2,000-3,000 fans if that. If Boise State were 6-6 I wouldn’t care if they were in a bowl or not. It’s just another shot at embarrassing yourself. The extra few weeks of practice time doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. 

Basically Wyoming and some MWC fans are pissed BYU is playing at a MWC bowl site. However, it was just a matter of switching Bowl sites with Boise State and BYU which was better for Boise State and the MWC. Better payout and the Potato Bowl survives another year. Wyoming wasn’t going to get invited in any scenario. 

15 hours ago, Utefan1211 said:

BYU will be back in the conference one day. They bring in $$$.  Not beer money but bring good crowds and they will compete for championships right away. 

You all secretly want them back. 

If BYU wanted back in the MWC for all sports and no special treatment, I'd be fine with that - But BYU made their choice to go it alone and it's not the MWC's responsibility to help BYU in any manner, especially after BYU basically told the MWC to F*ck Off 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If BYU wanted back in the MWC for all sports and no special treatment, I'd be fine with that - But BYU made their choice to go it alone and it's not the MWC's responsibility to help BYU in any manner, especially after BYU basically told the MWC to F*ck Off 

How about if they wanted back in only if the special Boise deal went away?:thumbsup::cheer::rimshot1:

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

How about if they wanted back in only if the special Boise deal went away?:thumbsup::cheer::rimshot1:

Trade BYU for BSU ? :hmmm:

1) BYU would bring a more stable basketball program to the MWC. BYU has been better for longer than BSU in BB

2) BYU brings fans that no other MWC school brings to road games, so selling tickets to BYU fans is a plus ( :stop: Doesn't mean I want to schedule them after 9/30 as a non-conference opponent)

3) BYU brings a decent level of FB that while not bad, doesn't match BSU over the last decade + 

4) BYU gets NO special concessions at all 

Conclusion = I would take BYU back in the MWC for all sports with no special conditions and keep BSU :oldman:

17 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Trade BYU for BSU ? :hmmm:

1) BYU would bring a more stable basketball program to the MWC. BYU has been better for longer than BSU in BB

2) BYU brings fans that no other MWC school brings to road games, so selling tickets to BYU fans is a plus ( :stop: Doesn't mean I want to schedule them after 9/30 as a non-conference opponent)

3) BYU brings a decent level of FB that while not bad, doesn't match BSU over the last decade + 

4) BYU gets NO special concessions at all 

Conclusion = I would take BYU back in the MWC for all sports with no special conditions and keep BSU :oldman:

No, that's not what I said, I just want the "term sheet" deal to go away.

Do you think Boise would leave if they didn't get extra ESPN money?

Where would they go?

4 hours ago, westfan said:

My guess is the MWC will lose its tie in to the LV Bowl and be replaced by a P5. I would like to see the Kraft Bowl at AT&T Park come back, the MWC vs a P5, no BYU wild card allowed. Play the game later like when Nevada played Boston College when there are less games to compete with, it's a tourist area and a fun place to visit.

¡IMPOSSIBLE! 

It's be re-branded as the Redbox Bowl & is played in the 49-ers home:  

Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, NoCal

12-Pack -vs- B1G

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbox_Bowl

6 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

¡IMPOSSIBLE! 

It's be re-branded as the Redbox Bowl & is played in the 49-ers home:  

Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, NoCal

12-Pack -vs- B1G

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbox_Bowl

You seem to be an expert on this bowl stuff.

Why don't the Fort Collins movers and shakers start a new Bowl with MWC tie-ins in that shiny new stadium?

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

No, it isn't. Completely different. Different taxing authority and the cost fall to a different population. 

The tax is a direct derivative of financial transaction...a "sale" if you will.  Thus, it's a Sales Tax.  

Call it what every you like.  Give the money to whom ever you like.  Charge the tax to whom ever you like.  Who pays it, or who receives the revenue doesn't change the fact is a:  SALES TAX.

There's no getting around it:  it's a form of Sales Tax.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You seem to be an expert on this bowl stuff.

Why don't the Fort Collins movers and shakers start a new Bowl with MWC tie-ins in that shiny new stadium?

No...not at all.  I'm just not shy when it comes to using this new internet tool called:  GOOGLE

=========================================

Ave Low in Dec in FoCo:  +17.2*f

The same reason a bowl game is boise is an AWFUL IDEA:

Climate data for Fort Collins, Colorado (1981–2010 normals)
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Record high °F (°C) 73
(23)
(24)
(27)
(32)
(36)
(39)
(39)
(38)
(36)
(31)
(27)
(24)
(39)
Average high °F (°C) 44.2
(6.8)
(8.1)
(12.6)
(16.8)
(21.7)
(26.9)
(30.3)
(28.9)
(24.4)
(17.7)
(10.8)
(6)
(17.6)
Average low °F (°C) 17.5
(−8.1)
(−6.4)
(−2.4)
(1.7)
(6.7)
(11.2)
(14.4)
(13.5)
(8.4)
(2.2)
(−3.6)
(−8.2)
(2.4)
Record low °F (°C) −38
(−39)
−41
(−41)
−31
(−35)
−10
(−23)
(−11)
(−2)
(2)
(0)
(−8)
−8
(−22)
−21
(−29)
−35
(−37)
−41
(−41)
Average precipitationinches (mm) 0.40
(10.2)
(10.7)
(40.6)
(52.3)
(61.7)
(55.1)
(43.4)
(40.6)
(33.8)
(29.2)
(19.3)
(12.7)
(409.6)
Average snowfall inches (cm) 7.3
(18.5)
(17.3)
(30.7)
(15.2)
(1.8)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(2.3)
(9.1)
(21.8)
(21.3)
(138)
Average precipitation days (≥ 0.01 in) 4.1 4.9 6.4 8.6 11.2 10.0 9.0 9.4 7.6 6.3 5.2 4.5 87.2
Average snowy days (≥ 0.1 in) 4.4 5.0 5.3 3.1 0.4 0 0 0 0.4 1.4 4.1 4.7 28.8
Source: NOAA[23]