Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

No Bowl For Wyoming

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Northern NV's stadium? Typo?

It's played in UNLV"s stadium; Sam Boyd.

That's coming to an end and unfortunately the conference tie in is also coming to an end.  UNLV won't have any ownership interest in the new stadium. 

YES...Southern NV.  I'm VERY SORRY.  The alliteration always sucks me in.

I disagree that Southern NV "...won't have any ownership interest in the new stadium."  A HUGE part of the new stadium was funded by local tax $$$, which allowed the Rebs to be one of the two-main tenants.  ¿How come the university & the conf weren't there making the bowl game part of the transition tied to the tax $$$?

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Hair could have played his hand better.   Yes some risk Boise stayed in the Potato Bowl but not the end of the world.  

Conferences have total control on open dates and dates they want to reserve.  

He could have? How? The bowl agreements are what they are and he did a pretty good job of landing MWC teams in some good locations. Wyoming wasn't going to get a spot. There were no locations that were available (or that made any sense).

All of our schools have winnable but competitive games. Given the situation, this is the conference's best bowl lineup in years.

39 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Northern NV's stadium? Typo?

It's played in UNLV"s stadium; Sam Boyd.

That's coming to an end and unfortunately the conference tie in is also coming to an end.  UNLV won't have any ownership interest in the new stadium. 

The bowl isn't coming to end, our agreement with the bowl is coming to an end. The Las Vegas Bowl is still around, just moving stadiums and they want to replace MWC with SEC. However one of the new bowls coming in 2020 that was approved by NCAA certification board, is suppose to have an agreement for MWC team. However the game is in the midwest or east if i remember correctly.

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

If that was your conference bowl and you were selected for it.

What kind of bat shyte crazy never gonna happen scenario are you cooking up?

This isn't even worth of a response.

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

How could Thompson, Southern NV & the powers that be in Vegas allowed the Raiders to take the Vegas Bowl away from the MWC???

56 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

The game is played in Southern NV's stadium.  That's the MWC's anchor to the game.

No stadium...no game ¿RIGHT?

5 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

The bowl isn't coming to end, our agreement with the bowl is coming to an end. The Las Vegas Bowl is still around, just moving stadiums and they want to replace MWC with SEC. However one of the new bowls coming in 2020 that was approved by NCAA certification board, is suppose to have an agreement for MWC team. However the game is in the midwest or east if i remember correctly.

@wolfpack1:  Southern NV & to a lesser extent the conf had all sorts of leverage when the lease to the new building was being hashed-out given the funding was from Local Sales Tax Revenue.  Where was Commissioner Thompson & the Southern Nevada President & AD, when this was going down???

2 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

@wolfpack1:  Southern NV & to a lesser extent the conf had all sorts of leverage when the lease to the new building was being hashed-out given the funding was from Local Sales Tax Revenue.  Where was Commissioner Thompson & the Southern Nevada President & AD, when this was going down???

Thompson and the "conference" had absolutely no standing or influence in regard to stadium deal. Maybe UNLV could have had some influence but I doubt it.

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Thompson and the "conference" had absolutely no standing or influence in regard to stadium deal. Maybe UNLV could have had some influence but I doubt it.

¡¡¡ BULLSHIT...TOTAL BULLSHIT !!!

The conf, Southern Nevada & to a lesser extent UNR were asleep at the wheel on this one.

Thompson's "standing"/leverage...Keep the bowl or you & CSU-San José are GONE.

Southern Nevada's leverage...this is our sales tax revenue, our stadium & our bowl game.  Hold the local politician's feet to the fire.

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

My understanding was UNLV had like 0-5% influence on the stadium. The Stadium Authority and Clark County Commission are the ones dealing with the Raiders. MWC and Hair have absolutely nothing to do with the stadium building. Hair can only lobby to keep the bowl agreement but the bowl can sign a contract with whoever they want and starting in 2020 they want SEC team there which will probably bring in more money than a P12 vs. MWC game.

Wow we got all kinds of crazies on the board tonight

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

My understanding was UNLV had like 0-5% influence on the stadium. The Stadium Authority and Clark County Commission are the ones dealing with the Raiders. MWC and Hair have absolutely nothing to do with the stadium building. Hair can only lobby to keep the bowl agreement but the bowl can sign a contract with whoever they want and starting in 2020 they want SEC team there which will probably bring in more money than a P12 vs. MWC game.

Wow we got all kinds of crazies on the board tonight

How can you tell me UNLV & UNR (to a lesser extend) don't have any sway w/local politicians visa vie the Stadium Authority & Clark County???  

¡¡¡ That's PURE 100% HORSE SHIT !!!

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

How can you tell me UNLV & UNR (to a lesser extend) don't have any sway w/local politicians visa vie the Stadium Authority & Clark County???  

They don't. I don't know what world you live in but UNLV and UNR have absolutely no sway for something like that. They don't even have sway to get more funding for universities. Hell Nevada doesn't even own Lawlor that is an outside company and same with the new stadium in Vegas. UNLV doesn't own it, this is the Raiders stadium. Hell the Raiders tried like hell to not have UNLV involved at all in the stadium. I think Raiders might be leasing it to UNLV but not 100% sure on that part.

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

They don't. I don't know what world you live in but UNLV and UNR have absolutely no sway for something like that. They don't even have sway to get more funding for universities. Hell Nevada doesn't even own Lawlor that is an outside company and same with the new stadium in Vegas. UNLV doesn't own it, this is the Raiders stadium. Hell the Raiders tried like hell to not have UNLV involved at all in the stadium. I think Raiders might be leasing it to UNLV but not 100% sure on that part.

How can UNLV & UNR be so f-king weak when it comes to local politics???  I'm not buying it.

You don't own your on-campus basketball arena???

Local Sales Taxes bank rolled this thing, thus UNLV has leverage via the local politicians.

Just now, GoState99755 said:

How can UNLV & UNR be so f-king weak when it comes to local politics???  I'm not buying it.

Local Sales Taxes bank rolled this thing, thus UNLV has leverage via the local politicians.

No we don't own Lawlor Events Center. Board of Regents owns Lawlor and every time an event is held there they must pay rent to Board of Regents. The only people except from paying rent is Nevada men's and women's basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas & Mack Center in Vegas is under the same deal. And again no, UNLV has no leverage with the deal, they are piggybacking on it because that is the only way they can get a new stadium to play in and get out of Sam Boyd. However visitors to Las Vegas are also paying the tax as well as they put a hotel tax as a way to pay for it also. So every person coming and staying in Vegas is paying for it. Same way they helped raise money for Thomas & Mack back in the day. 

9 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Some Wyoming fans of a certain faith got Burman's ear and convinced him that it would be a good idea. He did a lousy job of seeking others' opinions. After it got scheduled, sh-t hit the office fan. One of the reasons Collins bailed...

Burman has long proven he's in over his head with this job. Hopefully he finally gets fired.

8 hours ago, Spot50B said:

He could have? How? The bowl agreements are what they are and he did a pretty good job of landing MWC teams in some good locations. Wyoming wasn't going to get a spot. There were no locations that were available (or that made any sense).

All of our schools have winnable but competitive games. Given the situation, this is the conference's best bowl lineup in years.

Because ESPN didn’t want a 6-6 BYU going against Boston College.   They wanted a much better 10-3 Boise team.   So instead of hurrying to please Boise as Thompson always does he could have held out until ESPN sent BYU elsewhere than our bowl tie-in.   

Its that simple.  

7 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

You obviously don't know Nevada politics. Education there is treated like an unwanted, mentally ill stepchild.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

7 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

No we don't own Lawlor Events Center. Board of Regents owns Lawlor and every time an event is held there they must pay rent to Board of Regents. The only people except from paying rent is Nevada men's and women's basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas & Mack Center in Vegas is under the same deal. And again no, UNLV has no leverage with the deal, they are piggybacking on it because that is the only way they can get a new stadium to play in and get out of Sam Boyd. However visitors to Las Vegas are also paying the tax as well as they put a hotel tax as a way to pay for it also. So every person coming and staying in Vegas is paying for it. Same way they helped raise money for Thomas & Mack back in the day. 

It’s not under the same deal.   UNLV gets quite a bit of revenue from the Thomas and Mack center.   For someone calling others crazy you don’t seem that informed. 

Obviously you haven't spent any time in Nevada (as a citizen).

There's only one group in Vegas and/or Reno that controls local politics.  I'll give you a hint...it isn't UNLV or UNR and you've probably "donated" to this business group.

Any guesses?

This shows you don't know what you're talking about. Sales tax is not being used to fund this stadium.

The bonds are being funded by a .88% increase in the hotel room tax. Collections are currently ahead of the projected budget.

12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

It's the Potato Bowl....

Against W. Michigan (whose colors are poop brown and pee yellow).....

You telling me that Wyoming fans are really that upset about not getting the Potato? 

How many Wyoming fans would have really traveled to Boise for the Potato Bowl?   A thousand?   Probably fewer than what BYU will bring.

Goddamnit Stunner we want to beat the Broncos on the blue and we don't give a shit which Broncos they are!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.