Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

No Bowl For Wyoming

52 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Look I get it, it was a bad divorce, but a rival is a rival. They’re weaker now as an independent right? Recruiting is hurting right? Why not have MWC teams play them, make more money at the gate, make more money on ice cream sales and make sure they don’t hit 6 wins? If they played Wyoming and Nevada this year, rather than UMass and NMSU, then they’re not going bowling. And then they have to re-think the P5 teams on the schedule because they can’t afford to go 5-7 every year... So if you really want them to spiral, help them spiral. 

No. The word "rival" implies a certain level of respect. A great and worthy adversary. If Provostan caught on fire I'd show up with a comfy camp chair and lighter fluid.

Scheduling them is giving them oxygen. Stop scheduling them and they asphyxiate.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Good. This will give @LaradiseCowboy and @slappy something to bitch about over the summer. 

No bitching from me.  .500 football doesn’t deserve a bowl.  Too many teams with sub par seasons will be playing football over the next few weeks.  GL to all the MW teams that have a bowl.  I will be watching and gambling as usual.  

Just now, Headbutt said:

Exactly!  I'm being sarcastic though.  You can't swing a dead cat in Colorado without hitting a Poke fan.

Of course they usually grab the cat and start a cooking fire, but it is what it is.

Of course it would be cooked up.  What the hell are they teaching down there.  Although I guess the act of swinging a dead tofu around does pose a problem.

30 minutes ago, Utefan1211 said:

BYU will be back in the conference one day. They bring in $$$.  Not beer money but bring good crowds and they will compete for championships right away. 

You all secretly want them back. 

YBU would be welcomed back into the conference but they still suck a$$.  Utah leaving them in the cold like the Y did to USU was too much for them to handle.  If MWC schools didn’t continue to schedule late season games they probably would have withered on the vine by now or returned.  All their revenue sports are declining in quality as a result of their “independence”, though they are still highly dependent on the MWC.  Stunner (a closet Wyoming fan) and the rest of the Coog faithful who frequent the board have many excuses for all of their sins but even though they were Big 12 bound “guaranteed” and they are making money hand over fist through Y tv....they will soon struggle if ESecPN doesn’t renew their deal and they have to negotiate games without their support and dollars.

It SUCKS to be a CSU Ram!

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

He caught hell over the bowl situation today. Don't kid yourself. About half the donor base wants his head right now, and the way basketball is going, we'll probably get it ...

This.  Thin ice, should not be jumped on. 

1 minute ago, nashvillepoke said:

Of course it would be cooked up.  What the hell are they teaching down there.  Although I guess the act of swinging a dead tofu around does pose a problem.

Always joked about setting up a tourist trap off of I-80 and calling it a tofu ranch. Just sit back and count the California plates in the parking lot while they buy free range tofu in the gift shop...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Just now, Wyovanian said:

Always joked about setting up a tourist trap off of I-80 and calling it a tofu ranch. Just sit back and count the California plates in the parking lot while they buy free range tofu in the gift shop...

That coupled with Colorado specific boat passes, and you might have yourself an effective business model.

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Liberty was eligible to go to a bowl this year and signed an agreement with Cure Bowl for 2018 and 2019 to be a back up to that bowl if the Sun Belt or American Conference were unable to fill their spots in the bowl. The received some kind of waiver from the NCAA before the season began when their program met certain criteria from the NCAA.

Not exactly. Liberty was considered ineligible as a transitional FBS member this year, just as a 5-7 team is ineligible for a bowl game. However, should there not have been enough eligible teams (and also if the bowl tie ins for the Cure Bowl fell through) then special rules would have come into effect which would allow Liberty to fill a backup position for the bowl. 

Because there were more eligible teams than bowl spots this year, Liberty's status remained unchanged-- bowl ineligible. They could have gone 12-0 this year and still would not have gone to a bowl.

10 minutes ago, slappy said:

No bitching from me.  .500 football doesn’t deserve a bowl.  Too many teams with sub par seasons will be playing football over the next few weeks.  GL to all the MW teams that have a bowl.  I will be watching and gambling as usual.  

True if BYU was 7-5 or 8-4 I would be less concerned.  But why should a 6-6 BYU bump a 6-6 Wyoming from a MWC affiliated bowl?  

Just now, sactowndog said:

True if BYU was 7-5 or 8-4 I would be less concerned.  But why should a 6-6 BYU bump a 6-6 Wyoming from a MWC affiliated bowl?  

Honestly I don’t have all the details.  And I don’t know how things went down.  I had my attention in other places for most of the weekend.  I’m sure most of the dealings will come out shortly.   But really it does not bother me.   We were .500.  Weight room time for the players.   recruiting for the coaches and facilities for the rest of us.  

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Last night I thought BYU was going to end up at Frisco since there was an open spot there and with the ESPN guarantee they would be getting a bowl if they got to 6 wins

Just now, slappy said:

Honestly I don’t have all the details.  And I don’t know how things went down.  I had my attention in other places for most of the weekend.  I’m sure most of the dealings will come out shortly.   But really it does not bother me.   We were .500.  Weight room time for the players.   recruiting for the coaches and facilities for the rest of us.  

With how things were setting up, I thought Wyoming was a long shot to get in however if somehow Washington St got one of those higher bowls that would have opened the door for Wyoming to go bowling. Personally I am just surprised they got to six wins this year

3 minutes ago, slappy said:

It should bother you.  ESPN is taking care of its core properties (BYU and Boise) at the expense of the rest of the MWC.  Thompson is just the ***** along for the ride. 

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

BYU didn't bump Wyoming.  

Maybe @MWC Tex can walk you through it.

5 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Last night I thought BYU was going to end up at Frisco since there was an open spot there and with the ESPN guarantee they would be getting a bowl if they got to 6 wins

Yeah if BYU gets in fine but the order should be: 

1) 7 win teams

2) Conference affiliated bowls

3) at large 6-6 teams

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah if BYU gets in fine but the order should be: 

1) 7 win teams

2) Conference affiliated bowls

3) at large 6-6 teams

Hint:

How many bowl ties does the MWC have?

How many MWC teams are going to a bowl game?

The only reason BYU is going to the Potato is because ESPN swapped with the First Responder.  MWC came out ahead...

MWC problem is not BYU.  It's that it doesn't have enough bowl ties.