Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boise fan

New Years Six Bowls

So far it's what's rational:

Orange - Alabama SEC Champ(1) vs Oklahoma B12 Champ (4)

Cotton - Clemson ACC Champ (2) vs Notre Dame (3)

Rose - Washington PAC champ (9) vs Ohio State B1G Champ (6)

Peach - ? vs ?  Guessing Michigan (7) vs....Florida (10)?

Fiesta  LSU (11) Vs UCF AAC Champ (8)

Sugar - Texas(?) (15) vs Georgia (5)

Why the hell is Texas playing Georgia?    The affiliation (which I hate) is with the SEC.  Why isn't Penn State (12) playing Georgia?

That's 4 SEC teams in the NY 6 bowls btw.  Do their schedules really deserve it?

Anyone?

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

3 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Orange - Alabama SEC Champ(1) vs Oklahoma B10 Champ (4)

Rose - Washington PAC champ (9) vs Ohio State B10 Champ (6)

Why the hell is Texas playing Georgia?    The affiliation (which I hate) is with the SEC.  Why isn't Penn State (12) playing Georgia?

Anyone?

The Sugar Bowl is contracted to take the champions of the Big 12 and SEC.  If the champions are unavailable, they get the second place teams, at least on the years where the Sugar Bowl is not part of the playoff.

Good slate.

Watching Kyler going up against that Bama D might the funnest matchup we see all year. Sadly I don't think Tua going against that OU D will be very fun. As a Notre Dame fan I'm bummed we're playing first because if we lose I'll be in no mood to watch this.

Clemson and ND are 2 very similar teams  in their strengths and weaknesses, though I think Clemson is slightly better than ND at almost everything. Lawrence has shrunk at times this year though, and Book is insanely efficient, that could equalize things a bit.

OSU probably has the 2nd best offense and they're going up against a top 10 Washington Defense. Also the very average UW offense going against the very average OSU defense should provide a fairly even matchup. It should be a good game, though I think The Buckeyes have too much talent to not win.

I think Herman is a douche but he's done a good job turning that Texas program around, however Texas really shouldn't be in an NY6 bowl. Georgia is an elite team taking on a decent team and I think they'll win easily. The only fear is that they come out flat with no motivation.

LSU has looked anywhere from elite to average all season, throw in UCF playing a backup and I have zero idea what to expect. Go Knights though!

Florida vs Michigan is garbage and will probably end 10-7

17 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

The Sugar Bowl is contracted to take the champions of the Big 12 and SEC.  If the champions are unavailable, they get the second place teams, at least on the years where the Sugar Bowl is not part of the playoff.

Yeah, that's part of the thing that bothers me.  New Years Six bowls should be hosting the top teams in the CF Rankings, not catering to specific conferences.  That's a money fix.  It's part of what's wrong with the whole system.

As for the 4 "vaunted" SEC teams.  Here were their OOC schedules this year.

LSU

(2-11) Rice(42-10), (7-5) Louisiana Tech (38-21), (4-7) Southeastern Louisiana (31-0), (7-5) Miami (33-17)

Florida

(5-6) Charleston Southern (53-6), (3-9) Colorado State (48-10), (4-7) Idaho  (63-10)

Georgia

(5-6) Austin Peay (45-0), (8-5) Middle Tennesee (49-7), (4-8) UMass (66-27)

Alabama

(2-10) Louisville (51-14), (8-4)Arkansas St (57-7), (7-6)ULL (56-14),(5-6) Citadel (50-17)

I'm seriously not impressed.  Georgia shouldn't be 5th, LSU and Florida should be ranked lower too. 

SEC is definitely slipping by based on conference play only.  And many of those wins are of questionable value. 

It's such a fix.

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

Orange - Alabama SEC Champ(1) vs Oklahoma B10 Champ (4)

Rose - Washington PAC champ (9) vs Ohio State B10 Champ (6)

That's 4 SEC teams in the NY 6 bowls btw.  Do their schedules really deserve it?

Anyone?

The NY 6 Bowls also have backup agreements for when they aren't hosting the playoff which have to be followed as well. 

The backup agreement for Sugar Bowl is the SEC Champion vs. B12 Champion I believe and if they aren't avaiable the second place would go. So that is why its Texas vs. Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Rose Bowl when not in the playoff will get the Big 10 Champion against Pac 12 Champion.

Orange Bowl when not in the playoff will get the ACC Champion.

The stuff on the bottom of our shoe team, will usually go to either Fiesta Bowl or Peach Bowl when they are selected. 

So when all the agreements are meant there are really only three spots left and as has been shown in the past, usually the three highest major conference teams left are taken. For this year that was Michigan, Florida and LSU. That is why Washington St was on a press tour to get higher in the vote because then they would have gone to one of those bowl games.

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

The NY 6 Bowls also have backup agreements for when they aren't hosting the playoff which have to be followed as well. 

The backup agreement for Sugar Bowl is the SEC Champion vs. B12 Champion I believe and if they aren't avaiable the second place would go. So that is why its Texas vs. Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Rose Bowl when not in the playoff will get the Big 10 Champion against Pac 12 Champion.

Orange Bowl when not in the playoff will get the ACC Champion.

The stuff on the bottom of our shoe team, will usually go to either Fiesta Bowl or Peach Bowl when they are selected. 

So when all the agreements are meant there are really only three spots left and as has been shown in the past, usually the three highest major conference teams left are taken. For this year that was Michigan, Florida and LSU. That is why Washington St was on a press tour to get higher in the vote because then they would have gone to one of those bowl games.

Yeah I know, see my post a few places up on this page.  The CF Playoff will never be legitimate until they look at things honestly instead of it being a money grab by the P5 conferences.   The NY 6 bowls should involve the top twelve teams in the rankings, period.  And the rankings have to be honest, not this bullshit that SEC teams get to skate by with conference play only.  That's crap.

I feel really bad for Fresno State.  They deserve better than 7-5 Arizona State in the dregs bowl.  Prolly cost nearly the million they will receive from it.

Cal must be laughing, as they get to play a 6-6 TCU in the Cheez-dick bowl for $3.35 Million each.

The bowls are a phucking disgrace.  As usual.

39 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Yeah I know, see my post a few places up on this page.  The CF Playoff will never be legitimate until they look at things honestly instead of it being a money grab by the P5 conferences.   The NY 6 bowls should involve the top twelve teams in the rankings, period.  And the rankings have to be honest, not this bullshit that SEC teams get to skate by with conference play only.  That's crap.

That isn't what the rankings were designed for, they were designed to have the top 4 teams play each other. That is pretty much it, they don't even have to be the best 4 teams just the top 4 teams.

From day one I have said this is a big step backward of where they want to go. Hell they don't even follow their own "criteria" until everything is equal then we will look at it. I mean if people didn't see how this whole committee thing was a farce when TCU and Baylor situation happened, then well nothing we can do about that.

21 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

I feel really bad for Fresno State.  They deserve better than 7-5 Arizona State in the dregs bowl.  Prolly cost nearly the million they will receive from it.

Cal must be laughing, as they get to play a 6-6 TCU in the Cheez-dick bowl for $3.35 Million each.

On the plus side for Fresno there is a pretty decent chance we beat ASU. Thus we would finish the season ranked in the 16-18 range. That should help with recruiting/at least get us in the mid 30's it the rankings to start next season. 

The only part that really upsets me is playing on the first day of the bowl season. I do not think ANY conference champ should play the first day of the bowl season. I would be much happy if this was the 2nd weekend of bowls to make it easier to recruit/give us more practices. 

Cause if we are being honest unless the MWC champ in in the access bowl the best case would be playing a 8-4 big 5 school. So a 7-5 ASU is really not that far off our "best" case. Also given they have 7 wins they will still have a winning record even if we beat them. Hard to call something a "quality" or even "good" win if the opponent has a losing record.

33 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

This is the time of year when I am reminded that college football is the most anticlimactic of all sports. Disgrace is a great word.

and btw can we please require a team to have a WINING record to qualify for a bowl? Tulane, BYU, Wake Forest, Minny, TCU, Baylor, Vandy, Purdue, Virginia Tech, Ok State have no business being in a bowl at 6-6. Plus you you knock those 10 teams/5 bowls out the equation then a bowl would also mean a tiny bit more.

I know it will never happen cause it would hurt the big-5 schools more than the little 5. In the current setup every single 6-6 big 5 school makes a bowl game but some little 5 6-6 schools (ie WY) get left out. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

This is the time of year when I am reminded that college football is the most anticlimactic of all sports. Disgrace is a great word.

But I love the fact that the regular season is so important. College football has by far the best regular season in all off sports.

If you expand the playoffs to 16 team (10 conference champs and 6 at large bids) the regular season is hugely devalued. 

25 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

But I love the fact that the regular season is so important. College football has by far the best regular season in all off sports.

If you expand the playoffs to 16 team (10 conference champs and 6 at large bids) the regular season is hugely devalued. 

That’s true for about a dozen or so teams after the first month of the season. More than 100 teams’ games are all but meaningless by October in terms of the title. That includes every team in the G5, where every game is meaningless before Labor Day.

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

And what the first round should look like:

8) Washington @ 1) Alabama
5) UGA @ 4) Okie

6) Ohio State @ 3) Domer
7)UCF @ 2) Clemson

Alabama shouldn't be #1 with 4 dogshit OOC wins.   UGA shouldn't be #5 with 3 OOC dogshit wins either.  They were placed in those spots on their SEC records alone.  That's ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Boise fan said:

Alabama shouldn't be #1 with 4 dogshit OOC wins.   UGA shouldn't be #5 with 3 OOC dogshit wins either.  They were placed in those spots on their SEC records alone.  That's ridiculous.

What's your top 4? I've heard who shouldn't be considered. Who should be?

8 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

And what the first round should look like:

8) Washington @ 1) Alabama
5) UGA @ 4) Okie

6) Ohio State @ 3) Domer
7)UCF @ 2) Clemson

Yeah, this would be so fun to watch.