Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Former President George H.W. Bush Dies At 94

George H.W. Bush was the definition of establishment success: Yale graduate. Prosperous business career. Forty-first president of the United States.

But to one admittedly biased observer, the elder Bush has always been shortchanged.

"As a result of him being a one-term president, historians hadn't paid much attention to him," George W. Bush told NPR in a 2014 interview. He called his father "one of the greatest one-term presidents in the nation's history."

George Herbert Walker Bush died Friday at the age of 94. He had been hospitalized for low blood pressure and fatigue in May, a week after arriving in Maine to spend the summer.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/423556608/former-president-george-h-w-bush-dies-at-94

Trump will attend the funeral. He has designated Wed as a National Day of Mourning and offered a very positive and thoughtful statement.

I can't stand Trump however his behavior thus far in the matter has been positive and IMO a plus. I am happy to see the acrimony put aside for this instance.

One of the Final Five..........

13 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Trump will attend the funeral. He has designated Wed as a National Day of Mourning and offered a very positive and thoughtful statement.

I can't stand Trump however his behavior thus far in the matter has been positive and IMO a plus. I am happy to see the acrimony put aside for this instance.

The Bush family deserve some credit as well. Lord knows they have as much reason to despise Trump as anyone, yet they set all that aside.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

He was the good Bush, imo. Best Republican president in the past 40 some years.  Lived a damn good life, excluding the Alzheimers.  Very interesting life too.  Rest in peace, President Bush.  

Really hoping Dear Cheeto keeps his yapper shut and doesn't try to make this about him. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

It is funny that HW Bush was the last president to not gain two terms and probably the only one that deserved a second term since Eisenhower.

He proved that breaking a political promise for the overwhelming good of the country.  Would not be rewarded by the ignorance of voters.

I wish his character and accomplishments were not such an outlier when it comes to our elected leaders.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It is funny that HW Bush was the last president to not gain two terms and probably the only one that deserved a second term since Eisenhower.

He proved that breaking a political promise for the overwhelming good of the country.  Would not be rewarded by the ignorance of voters.

I wish his character and accomplishments were not such an outlier when it comes to our elected leaders.

I want to like this post more than once.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

HW Bush was the last politician in the mold of our founders.

He fought for freedom.

He made his own money.

He served honestly and with character at every level of government.

There are politicians, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, and there are statesmen.  Bush was the latter.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, bluerules009 said:

Well said @bluerules009

He gets little credit for his handling of the Cold War and bringing it to a peaceful end.   He was a very good President and a better person.  

30 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well said @bluerules009

He gets little credit for his handling of the Cold War and bringing it to a peaceful end.   He was a very good President and a better person.  

What he gets little credit for is; 

1) a 100 hour war that met all its goals and didn't destroy any governments or kill a whole bunch of civilians.  While our boys didn't have to die for no reason at all.

2) signing a small tax cut even though it broke his campaign promise and eventually cost him re-election because voters are fucking stupid.   So he could rewrite spending and taxing rules that led to a massive boom in the economy.

http://time.com/4754901/president-george-hw-bush-accomplishments/

3)  Fixing the savings and loan crisis, without creating massive debt.   Too bad Obama was too +++++ing stupid to look back at history when dealing with a recovery of a sector of the banking industry.

4) other smaller things like update the clean air act.  Republicans are actually the party of the environment.  Reduced military spending, reduced the deficit and set the stage for a healthy recovery from some of the Reagan era over spending.  

Bush proved that voters especially females could care less about success and qualifications.  they would rather elect a good looking, philandering draft dodger.

26 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

What he gets little credit for is; 

1) a 100 hour war that met all its goals and didn't destroy any governments or kill a whole bunch of civilians.  While our boys didn't have to die for no reason at all.

2) signing a small tax cut even though it broke his campaign promise and eventually cost him re-election because voters are fucking stupid.   So he could rewrite spending and taxing rules that led to a massive boom in the economy.

http://time.com/4754901/president-george-hw-bush-accomplishments/

3)  Fixing the savings and loan crisis, without creating massive debt.   Too bad Obama was too +++++ing stupid to look back at history when dealing with a recovery of a sector of the banking industry.

4) other smaller things like update the clean air act.  Republicans are actually the party of the environment.  Reduced military spending, reduced the deficit and set the stage for a healthy recovery from some of the Reagan era over spending.  

Bush proved that voters especially females could care less about success and qualifications.  they would rather elect a good looking, philandering draft dodger.

Ignoring you usual hyper partisan BS, I agree with the things you said about Bush.