Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Cincinnati at UNLV

DATE: Saturday, December 1
TIME: 3 p.m.
SITE: Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV: CBS Sports Network (Ben Holden, Steve Lappas)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith, sideline reporter: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com

The UNLV men’s basketball team (4-2) will close out its season-opening seven-game homestand on Saturday, Dec. 1 vs. Cincinnati (6-1) at 3 p.m. at the Thomas & Mack Center

Cincinnati leads the all-time series 5-0 and is 3-0 against UNLV at the Thomas & Mack Center

The Bearcats won the last meeting, 67-65, on Nov. 29, 2008, at the Thomas & Mack Center as part of the Global Sports Classic

UNLV is 27-19 all-time against teams that currently make up the American Athletic Conference

Cincinnati (6-1), coached by Mick Cronin, has played in each of the last eight NCAA Tournaments

Cronin is in his 13th season as head coach at Cincinnati with a record of 274-141, .660

The Bearcats come to the Thomas & Mack Center having won six straight games, most recently vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff (105-49) on Tuesday. Their only loss was to Ohio State (64-56) in the season opener.

So far this season, UNLV leads the MW in scoring defense, allowing just 64.3 ppg. UNLV is also first in offensive rebounding (14.5 rpg, 14th in the country), blocks (5.2 bpg, 35th in the country) and rebounding defense, limiting its opponents to just 29.8 rpg. The Runnin’ Rebels rank second in the league in both rebound margin (+11.8, 11th in the country), rebounds per game (41.7 rpg, 36th in the country) and field-goal percentage defense (.398).

Following the loss to Valparaiso Marvin Menzies is 35-36 (.493) leading the Rebels

Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,045 games played

UNLV has posted an all-time record of 482-120 (.801) in the T & M Arena since it opened in 1983

UNLV has out-rebounded each of its first six opponents this season. UNLV ranks 11th in the country in rebound margin at +11.8 per game

5's are wild - Since the program’s inception in 1958-59, the Runnin’ Rebels have posted an all-time record of 1,275-555 (.697)

UNLV finished 4-4 in the MW-MVC Challenge

Hardy & Robotham have not been to the FT line is 3 of their 6 games played

Diong has fouled out in 2 of his 6 games

Juiston & Clyburn take 34.2% of UNLV's FG attempts (116 of 339)

Robotham has taken 31% of UNLV's 3ptFG attempts (35 of 113) and is 8 of 35 (.229%)

Diong leads UNLV is FT attempts with 27, but is shooting 40.7% 

In 6 games UNLV has been to the FT line 27 more times than opponents

UNLV has made 21 more FG's than opponents, but has tekn 6 less FG attempts than opponents

UNLV is shooting 46.9% as a team while opponents have shot 39.8% against UNLV

UNLV has had 101 turnovers to opponents 87 

UNLV has outscored opponents by 60 points in the 1st half while opponents have outscored UNLV by 14 points in 2nd halves

Juiston has grabbed 35 rebounds in his last two games, which is 57.4% of his season total 61

juiston has had 3 double-doubles this season 

Roy Williams blamed himself the other day for a bad performance. It wasn't really poor coaching, but he fell on the sword for his guys.

Marvin never does this. He's a different coach when he wins than when he loses. That spills over to the team, who plays differently when they are up, than when they are down. Marvin front runs when he's winning and he's all cheery and smiles and jokes. When he's losing he's somber, slumps with his hand on his head, and makes a ton of excuses. I hate excuses and Las Vegas definitely hates excuses.

This game will not determine anything and should not even be used as a measuring stick for anything this season. Because as we all have seen; even if they win this game, they could and probably will follow it up with several stink bomb games that shows regression, not progression.

The only barometer for this season is how this team finishes in the mwc regular season.

If the team stinks up the season, but clicks late and makes a run in the mwc tournament, that could bring hope as well.  

Everything done in the next few games should revolve around getting the teams young core ready to play as many minutes as possible in the mwc regular season. 

Anyone going to the U of Cincinnati/UNLV game? I saw the UC vs Old Miss game on the 24th and this may be a game UNLV can win. Cincy has quite good defense as per norm but the offense is horrible in all ways. If UNLV can force  an up tempo game they may well squeak a win out. Good luck rebs.

25 minutes ago, the former 1066 said:

Anyone going to the U of Cincinnati/UNLV game? I saw the UC vs Old Miss game on the 24th and this may be a game UNLV can win. Cincy has quite good defense as per norm but the offense is horrible in all ways. If UNLV can force  an up tempo game they may well squeak a win out. Good luck rebs.

I'm going, but i'm not as optimistic as you. Cincy's defense will force more than the 25 TOs the rebs had against a mediocre Valpo team, it will be ugly.

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

DATE: Saturday, December 1
TIME: 3 p.m.
SITE: Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV: CBS Sports Network (Ben Holden, Steve Lappas)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith, sideline reporter: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com

The UNLV men’s basketball team (4-2) will close out its season-opening seven-game homestand on Saturday, Dec. 1 vs. Cincinnati (6-1) at 3 p.m. at the Thomas & Mack Center

Cincinnati leads the all-time series 5-0 and is 3-0 against UNLV at the Thomas & Mack Center

The Bearcats won the last meeting, 67-65, on Nov. 29, 2008, at the Thomas & Mack Center as part of the Global Sports Classic

I was at that game and remember being so disgusted that we lost to a team like Cincy, which never should have happened at that time. it was just ugly basketball by the rebs.

I'll be there as usual. I watched Cincy play a game last week. They play a very up tempo and swarming defense. I expect the Rebs to be tested from the get go. Anything can happen but I expect it to be ugly and out of control early. This team is very unsure of itself and does not play with confidence to this point. I'd like to say I've seen that but it is a very big hole in the program.

This UNLV team is too easily sped up. Getting sped up is when turnovers happen. I called it out during the exh gane that they get sped up too easily.

A team like cincy specializes in speeding you up. I think Marv looks to slow this game down, because most of the turnovers were unforced. He cant play guys like jtt and he should not play dembele because they are the easiest guys to speed up because they dont know what to do due to their low bball iq.

Should be 3 guys who are sure wuth the ball, simplify the passing and catching for the 4/5 men and go.

I go heavy

Noah

Bham

Beck

Juis

Diong

And sprinkle in guys that are most sure with the ball. Woodbury, Coupet at pf, Clyburn, Ntambwe (also pf), Hardy. In that order.

Amauri would be in my dog house right now. Id consider pulling Bangais redshirt as well as give a long look at Coleman for back up minutes. But thats me, not Marv. 

Not a fan of the roster construction at all.

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

This UNLV team is too easily sped up. Getting sped up is when turnovers happen. I called it out during the exh gane that they get sped up too easily.

A team like cincy specializes in speeding you up. I think Marv looks to slow this game down, because most of the turnovers were unforced. He cant play guys like jtt and he should not play dembele because they are the easiest guys to speed up because they dont know what to do due to their low bball iq.

Should be 3 guys who are sure wuth the ball, simplify the passing and catching for the 4/5 men and go.

I go heavy

Noah

Bham

Beck

Juis

Diong

And sprinkle in guys that are most sure with the ball. Woodbury, Coupet at pf, Clyburn, Ntambwe (also pf), Hardy. In that order.

Amauri would be in my dog house right now. Id consider pulling Bangais redshirt as well as give a long look at Coleman for back up minutes. But thats me, not Marv. 

Bengai had surgery yesterday. He’s off the table. Marv will go with his usual. I’d like to be surprised. 

7 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I go heavy

Noah

Bham

Beck

Juis

Diong

Now that I think about it, adding Bangai and Anderson next year will be pretty big. Bangai is about as good as Diong and much better than jtt and dembele.

Not sure how good JPL will be, he seems like a project too, but I think he might be better than Hardy as a freshman.

One more impact piece and next year could be promising. This season will definitely be down and if we ride the wave of emotion with each game we will be frustrated to the max. 

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

Now that I think about it, adding Bangai and Anderson next year will be pretty big. Bangai is about as good as Diong and much better than jtt and dembele.

Not sure how good JPL will be, he seems like a project too, but I think he might be better than Hardy as a freshman.

One more impact piece and next year could be promising. This season will definitely be down and if we ride the wave of emotion with each game we will be frustrated to the max. 

No offense, but I question your intelligence when you say that a guy who is a walk on is as good as Diong and better than Dembele and JTT.