Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine

Matt Wells To Texas Tech?

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

That’s the suck part. He’ll make $2-3m per guaranteed for 5 years. Win or lose he has $10-15m in the bank. Feel bad for USU fans. 

And that's another example of the difference between a mid range P5 Athletic Department and G5. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

24 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

WOW...I thought Wells could have done better than Tx Tech.

Better than $2-3M a year coming out of USU?  Just how high a ceiling do you think the guy has right now?  His family would be set for life even if he got canned in 3 years.

Just now, alum93 said:

Better than $2-3M a year coming out of USU?  Just how high a ceiling do you think the guy has right now?

The $$$ is fine.  I meant a pgm w/a better history of excelling at F'ball than the Red Raiders.  Other than the Leach yrs, Tech is a perineal Big-12 seller dweller.

35 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

5 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

The $$$ is fine.  I meant a pgm w/a better history of excelling at F'ball than the Red Raiders.  Other than the Leach yrs, Tech is a perineal Big-12 seller dweller.

At the G5 level after a quality winning/ranked season under your belt you have to strike while the irons hot.  Which means chosing from the jobs that are available now because you never know what next season will look like or if you'll ever get another chance to cash in.  Here's all the head coaching jobs that have come open so far.

Current vacancies:  ECU, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Colorado, Maryland, Central Michigan and UMASS

Recently filled vacancies:  Charolette, Texas State, Bowling Green, North Carolina, WKU and Kansas

Of all these I'd say Texas Tech offers as good or better opportunity to win and cash in a P5 payday.  On the other hand, living in Lubbock........Yikes!

2 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

At the G5 level after a quality winning/ranked season under your belt you have to strike while the irons hot.  Which means chosing from the jobs that are available now because you never know what next season will look like or if you'll ever get another chance to cash in.  Here's all the head coaching jobs that have come open so far.

Current vacancies:  ECU, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Colorado, Maryland, Central Michigan and UMASS

Recently filled vacancies:  Charolette, Texas State, Bowling Green, North Carolina, WKU and Kansas

Of all these I'd say Texas Tech offers as good or better opportunity to win and cash in a P5 payday.

Good pts. However I'd put both Louisville & Colorado above Tech, simply because of quality of life issues.  Lubbock, TX is a REAL S-HOLE.

42 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

I did too.  I hope he makes the right decision and doesn't jump on the first good offer that comes his way.  If he stayed and had another good year, he'd have even more options to move on, if that is what he really wants.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I did too.  I hope he makes the right decision and doesn't jump on the first good offer that comes his way.  If he stayed and had another good year, he'd have even more options to move on, if that is what he really wants.  

Well that's the rub though. How is USU looking for next year and how are the other MWC teams looking?

He could very well lose his shot if they have a let down.

I don't know that much about Matt Wells but it seems like Aggie fans were really down on him going into the season. Gotta wonder how good he is. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Rolling the dice on potentially millions of dollars.  Will USU be this good next year or take a step or more backwards?  What coaching jobs will open up after the 2019 season?  Coach Wells could easily have fewer options this time next year.

2 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Rolling the dice on potentially millions of dollars.  Will USU be this good next year or take a step or more backwards?  What coaching jobs will open up after the 2019 season?  Coach Wells could easily have fewer options this time next year.

I would hope he'd follow the coach Pete model.  Keep doing a good job at USU and wait for the right job to open up for you.  But I can't blame a guy for jumping on a multi million dollar offer, even if it means relocating to Lubbock, TX. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I would hope he'd follow the coach Pete model.  Keep doing a good job at USU and wait for the right job to open up for you.  But I can't blame a guy for jumping on a multi million dollar offer, even if it means relocating to Lubbock, TX. 

Wells' situation is threefold though.

- The aggies could easily drop off next year with a rougher conference schedule.  Utah State dodged all three of the top west division teams this year; next year they go on the road to two of them and play the third at home.   Reminds me of deruyter in 2013 where he knew without a shadow of a doubt the dropoff was coming in 2014 and tried to get out of town ASAP.
- Wells has a narrow footprint in terms of connections and stomping grounds - sierra nevada to tornado alley.  He's not a serious player for any coastline PAC schools if they open up in 2019, and it's unlikely any except USC do.  Boulder and Lubbock are probably the best opportunities he'll have anytime soon.
- Wells is pretty young as head coaches go.  He's going to want to test himself and that means a bit of hubris with the first P5 job.