Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Is Menzies UNLV’s head coach next year?

Marvin Menzies   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Will Marvin Menzies be UNLV’s head coach next season?

He will be the coach, whether we like it or not. It was always kind of weird to me how Menzies consistently had NMSU getting to tournament and never really got interest from larger schools. In his three years here I've seen exactly why. I guess that just shows how awful the WAC was for years. One of the things I've noticed in his tenure is the lack of grit the team plays with. It seems like every loose ball the opposing team is diving for it, when the Rebels see a loose ball they pull a Cam Newton and give a half assed attempt. Tonight was a near identical copy to what we saw against LMU, a double digit lead gone in a flash because of sloppy play and an inability to hit shots, even layups. And this all comes back to coaching and the lack of accountability. How's that for an intro post?

10 minutes ago, rebelinreality said:

He will be the coach, whether we like it or not. It was always kind of weird to me how Menzies consistently had NMSU getting to tournament and never really got interest from larger schools. In his three years here I've seen exactly why. I guess that just shows how awful the WAC was for years. One of the things I've noticed in his tenure is the lack of grit the team plays with. It seems like every loose ball the opposing team is diving for it, when the Rebels see a loose ball they pull a Cam Newton and give a half assed attempt. Tonight was a near identical copy to what we saw against LMU, a double digit lead gone in a flash because of sloppy play and an inability to hit shots, even layups. And this all comes back to coaching and the lack of accountability. How's that for an intro post?

Excellent, welcome to the jungle that is mwcboard. 

I expect sooner than later for reality to set in with more people. Marv is a very likable guy. He is a capable coach at a mid level program in a lower mid major conference. He is probably a very capable assistant coach in a higher level program. His track record speaks for itself if you look at it with open eyes. Trying to equate success by thinking that New Mexico in the WAC is anything other than a descent program in a low conference is just ludicrous. Go back to looking at how many times Marv's teams have beaten a top 50 program. I believe UNR was his 1st last year? If Mooring doesn't get hotter than hell that doesn't even happen.

He won't be fired this year. Listening to him on the post game interview last night was eye opening. I expect things to run the same course as the last 2 years. The team will underachieve, look lost in tough games and will digress as the season goes on. I did expect 17-18 wins but wouldn't be surprised with less. I expect more excuses here about how it is the players fault for being young and lacking talent. Ultimately the facts will show lack of quality teaching the basics and fundamentals of the game of basketball. Hold on, it's going toe a bumpy ride.....yet again.

Oh yeah, Marc keeps his job and keeps preaching patience.

5 minutes ago, slappy said:

What does he have to get done by the end of next year to keep his job and Unlv fans support?

He doesn't really have UNLV fans support. He still has to earn that. The T&M is the worst I have seen it since the Spoonhour days. 

I would say he can get fan support by finishing top 3 in conference and be in the discussion to make the NCAA's. I don't think that will happen.

27 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

He doesn't really have UNLV fans support. He still has to earn that. The T&M is the worst I have seen it since the Spoonhour days. 

I would say he can get fan support by finishing top 3 in conference and be in the discussion to make the NCAA's. I don't think that will happen.

How I wish for a return to the Spoonhour days.  We are in 1994-1995 territory all over again.  Hell, we were competitive in league during the Spoonhour days.  There is no passion regarding anything to this program.  That falls on the coaches and players.  No way MM survives if this apathy continues.

9 minutes ago, slappy said:

What does he have to get done by the end of next year to keep his job and Unlv fans support?

1. Win the games that you are expected to win.

2. Play solid fundamental ball.

3. Show improvement in player development year by year.

4'ish. Maybe win an occasional game as an underdog.

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Menzies won't be gone. He will get one more year past this one.

I’m waiting to see how the next ten games shape up then we’ll see the temperature on Menzies seat for a year 4 of the Menzies era. 

So far to me this is such a Jekyll and Hyde team this season. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they get pasted by Cincinnati and then immediately turn around and blowout Illinois, then lose to BYU etc. Going to be one of those seasons where it looks like progress in one game then the next it looks like the program took 2-3 steps back. 

Like I said though, we’ll see how the next few games go. @quickdraw is right, people should buckle up, going to be a roller coaster of a season. 

59 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I’m waiting to see how the next ten games shape up then we’ll see the temperature on Menzies seat for a year 4 of the Menzies era. 

So far to me this is such a Jekyll and Hyde team this season. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they get pasted by Cincinnati and then immediately turn around and blowout Illinois, then lose to BYU etc. Going to be one of those seasons where it looks like progress in one game then the next it looks like the program took 2-3 steps back. 

Like I said though, we’ll see how the next few games go. @quickdraw is right, people should buckle up, going to be a roller coaster of a season. 

How does this season look any different from the past 2. Everyone likes to point to year 1 as being a failure totally out of Marv's hands. Yeah we were rightfully expected to be bad but by years end we were even worse after 5 months of coaching. Last year was much the same. I've seen more players getting worse as the year went on than better. Let's just see some individual player improvement over time and maybe that will lead to team improvement. Teach the game.  I just don't see that happening at this point.

26 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

How I wish for a return to the Spoonhour days.  We are in 1994-1995 territory all over again.  Hell, we were competitive in league during the Spoonhour days.  There is no passion regarding anything to this program.  That falls on the coaches and players.  No way MM survives if this continued apathy continues.

Agreed that the ball was better in the Spoon days, but the crowds were similar to today. I seem to remember Spoon feasting on cupcakes in the OOC as well. Plus he didn't have to go head to head against VGK.

15 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

How does this season look any different from the past 2. Everyone likes to point to year 1 as being a failure totally out of Marl's hands. Yeah we were rightfully expected to be bad but by years end we were even worse after 5 months of coaching. Last year was much the same. I've seen more players getting worse as the year went on than better. Let's just see some individual player improvement over time and maybe that will lead to team improvement. Teach the game.  I just don't see that happening at this point.

You are right it is the same story over and over. I have yet to see a player really take a big step in development under Menzies. Dembele and Clyburn have been around the longest and they seem to be the same players as when they came in.

I despised the Menzies hire from Day 1.  Tried to give him as much a chance as I could.  As others have said, his teams have been remarkably underwhelming even when considering the terrible circumstances he started with.  Didn't take anything from his first year but they quite clearly regressed as the year went on.  Same thing second year.  Par for the course for UNLV hoops, same thing happened every year of the despicable Rice era, and even a few years under Kruger.  

It was startling to watch the disorganized offense and undisciplined, out of control play.  And the substitutions last night were indefensible.  I hope we get better- he's our coach whether anyone likes it or not.  But judging by past results and what I've seen so far, I expect the opposite to happen.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Just now, battle.borne said:

The Dave Rice years don't seem so bad now.

The last few Rice years were worse.  We were doing the same thing with far more talent.  Watching Rice on the sidelines and interacting with players- how little they respected him and how badly he failed to reach them- was painful and embarrassing.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png