Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecMD

BYU Football Recruiting after declaring independence

2 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

Did it improve, regress or basically stay the same after leaving the MWC.  Asking for a friend. 

They went indy in 2010, so here are 8 years before and since.

BYU recruiting rankings 2002-2018 according to 247 sports :

2002 - 37

2003 - 61

2004 - 51

2005 - 61

2006 - 65

2007 - 43

2008 - 45

2009 - 55

2010 - 33

2011 - 69

2012 - 71

2013 - 66

2014 - 64

2015 - 65

2016 - 49

2017 - 66

2018 - 78

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

16 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

52.25 average before going Indy

62.33 average after going Indy

Definitely worse. Ten spots seems like a big drop to me, but in reality it's probably fairly minor.

One top 50 class since going Indy. Definitely worse. There’s not much to play for at BYU, getting annually smoked by the Utes and then playing in the Kraft cheese bowl. 

Question for BYU fans -

What challenges does BYU face in football recruiting? I've been wondering how it compares to other religious institutions, Notre Dame in particular. I've done some light reading on the topic, and it seems like BYU's stricter honor code prevents them from going after the players Notre Dame can get. Is that the case?

What enabled their success in the 80s/90s with the recruiting restrictions? Focus on QB development?

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Question for BYU fans -

What challenges does BYU face in football recruiting? I've been wondering how it compares to other religious institutions, Notre Dame in particular. I've done some light reading on the topic, and it seems like BYU's stricter honor code prevents them from going after the players Notre Dame can get. Is that the case?

What enabled their success in the 80s/90s with the recruiting restrictions? Focus on QB development?

I'm obviously not a BYU fan, but I have a number of good friends who are, so I have some idea about how to answer this question. I think it's a combination of things. For starters, my understanding is that the honor code wasn't really enforced for football players until the early 2000's. There was an ugly gang rape incident, among other things, when Gary Crowton was the coach. Supposedly then the BYU brass started taking honor code violations committed by athletes more seriously. Jim McMahon was famous for drinking and partying every weekend throughout his time at BYU. I doubt a BYU player could get away with that today no mater how talented they were. BYU under LaVell Edwards was also an early adopter of the pass-heavy offenses that dominate the modern game. Back then BYU would get players who wanted to showcase their skills in this type of offense to NFL scouts. Nowadays these offenses are common and skilled offensive players have many options other than BYU. I think there's also some anecdotal evidence that top-tier Mormon recruits don't choose BYU as often as they used to. The LDS Church has been aggressively opening institutes of religion at big universities throughout the country. In the past, Mormon parents often pressured their kids to play at BYU because they thought that they would embrace a life of drugs, sex, and rock and roll (or perhaps just never find a wife) if they didn't attend BYU. But now most major universities have at least a small group of Mormon students, so Mormons are much more willing to consider schools other than BYU. I've also been told that BYU has abandoned some of the heavy-handed recruiting tactics that they used to use to convince Mormon recruits to come to BYU. (A very high profile former player told me that it used to be standard practice to bring LDS recruits to Salt Lake City to meet the President of the Church or other top Church leaders. These Church leaders used to say a prayer with the recruit and tell him that they had received revelation that God wanted him to commit to BYU. That's really significant pressure in a culture that demands obedience to Church leaders. I don't know for sure that this is true, but I don't see why my source would make this up. I'm not sure he wants to be quoted by name on a message board, but everyone on this board would recognize his name.) That said, if any BYU fans think that I'm off on this or that I'm leaving out part of the story, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

One top 50 class since going Indy. Definitely worse. There’s not much to play for at BYU, getting annually smoked by the Utes and then playing in the Kraft cheese bowl. 

Precious, a Rebel fan mocking any team that goes to a bowl game. SMH

29 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

I'm obviously not a BYU fan, but I have a number of good friends who are, so I have some idea about how to answer this question. I think it's a combination of things. For starters, my understanding is that the honor code wasn't really enforced for football players until the early 2000's. There was an ugly gang rape incident, among other things, when Gary Crowton was the coach. Supposedly then the BYU brass started taking honor code violations committed by athletes more seriously. Jim McMahon was famous for drinking and partying every weekend throughout his time at BYU. I doubt a BYU player could get away with that today no mater how talented they were. BYU under LaVell Edwards was also an early adopter of the pass-heavy offenses that dominate the modern game. Back then BYU would get players who wanted to showcase their skills in this type of offense to NFL scouts. Nowadays these offenses are common and skilled offensive players have many options other than BYU. I think there's also some anecdotal evidence that top-tier Mormon recruits don't choose BYU as often as they used to. The LDS Church has been aggressively opening institutes of religion at big universities throughout the country. In the past, Mormon parents often pressured their kids to play at BYU because they thought that they would embrace a life of drugs, sex, and rock and roll (or perhaps just never find a wife) if they didn't attend BYU. But now most major universities have at least a small group of Mormon students, so Mormons are much more willing to consider schools other than BYU. I've also been told that BYU has abandoned some of the heavy-handed recruiting tactics that they used to use to convince Mormon recruits to come to BYU. (A very high profile former player told me that it used to be standard practice to bring LDS recruits to Salt Lake City to meet the President of the Church or other top Church leaders. These Church leaders used to say a prayer with the recruit and tell him that they had received revelation that God wanted him to commit to BYU. That's really significant pressure in a culture that demands obedience to Church leaders. I don't know for sure that this is true, but I don't see why my source would make this up. I'm not sure he wants to be quoted by name on a message board, but everyone on this board would recognize his name.) That said, if any BYU fans think that I'm off on this or that I'm leaving out part of the story, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

I'll bite   I would say the first part of your post is pretty accurate,  I have never heard of Church leaders working in the capacity of unofficial recruiting coordinators in their down time.  Not saying your friend's story isn't true, just saying that I have never in my 58 years heard such a story.

Guest #1Stunner

BYU recruiting is unique, no doubt. 

One thing that doesn't show up on recruiting rankings are P5 guys transfering to BYU either after their first year of school, or after their missions.  Guys transfer to BYU. 

Also, USU has been a sort of farm school for BYU over the years (no pun intended). 

BYU is loaded with transfers compared to other programs.  It helps a lot. Review the roster and you'll see. 

@StanfordAggie and @jackmormon will give you the inside scoop on the Church sanctioning BYU recruiting at the MTC. 

32 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU recruiting is unique, no doubt. 

One thing that doesn't show up on recruiting rankings are P5 guys transfering to BYU either after their first year of school, or after their missions.  Guys transfer to BYU.  

Also, USU has been a sort of farm school for BYU over the years (no pun intended).  

BYU is loaded with transfers compared to other programs.  It helps a lot. Review the roster and you'll see. 

@StanfordAggie and @jackmormon will give you the inside scoop on the Church sanctioning BYU recruiting at the MTC. 

Just join the MW already..

Indy isn't providing you guys any benefits...

New-Signature.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Just join the MW already..

Indy isn't providing you guys any benefits...

Just go Indy already... 

You guys have got to be sick of never being challenged in the WAC 3.0.  Don't you win the MWC every year? 

Also, the bowl ties  and TV are horrendous in the MWC (thanks Hair).  USU just had the greatest season in their program's history, and half their games weren't even televised.  Their reward for a great season might be a Potato Bowl bid (Yikes).  Why would BYU go down and accept that same thing? 

Someday Boise might be interested in playing a more challenging schedule. 

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Just go Indy already... 

You guys have got to be sick of never being challenged in the WAC 3.0.  Don't you win the MWC every year?  

Also, the bowl ties  and TV are horrendous in the MWC (thanks Hair).  USU just had the greatest season in their programs history, and half their games weren't even televised.  Their reward for a great season might be a Potato Bowl bid (Yikes).  

Someday Boise might be interested in playing a more challenging schedule.  

We got a NY6 in 2014 with two losses and might get another NY6 with two losses again this year...

I'd be pretty satisfied with 4 Fiesta trophies...

Furthermore, the best part about the MW is the communitiy of teams..  You think we don't like beating up on Fresno in a MW championship game??!

You guys just sold out to save face, but didn't get paid...  Now you're isolated and playing football in an abyss of irrelevance unless you make the playoff...

Edit*

BYU needs to slide into BSU's spot in the Mountain, and BSU should bump SJSU to the tracks - taking out rightful spot in the West...

Proper Mountain & West Divisions..

New-Signature.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

We got a NY6 in 2014 with two losses and might get another NY6 with two losses again this year...

I'd be pretty satisfied with 4 Fiesta trophies...

Furthermore, the best part about the MW is the communitiy of teams..  You think we don't like beating up on Fresno in a MW championship game??!

You guys just sold out to save face, but didn't get paid...  Now you're isolated and playing football in an abyss of irrelevance unless you make the playoff...

BYU is so "irrelevant", that they are the most discussed team in the MWC... 7 years after leaving. 

We have MWC teams lining up to play BYU.... In late October and November. 

How to be relevant is easy:  

I think BYU’s admin live in delusion caused by unrealistic fan expectations. Lavell was an innovator in a time when many programs were behind the times. I also think there was more of a blind eye on the honor code as others have mentioned.

Things have changed. BYU simply has less access to the talent due to academic and honor code restrictions. Yet they still try to feed the delusional beast of fans and boosters that coined things like “QB U”. 

Bronco saw the writing on the wall with Indy adding to already heavy restrictions and made a smart move. There’s simply too many much better schools that have open doors for LDS Athletes with less mid evil times restrictions.

They play tougher schedules and hold their own for the most part but I don’t think they will have an elite season with their lack of talent and depth. The science and math just doesn’t work.

Their pride will never allow them to come back to the MWC, which I think is a good fit. Better access to many things.