Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist formerly known as Hal

Why does SJSU struggle so much ?

On 11/26/2018 at 9:13 AM, Joe from WY said:

With nobody to hold the administration's feet to the fire athletic wise, the apathy gives way to ridiculously stupid coaching hires which lead to the problems now being discussed. 

I’ve been saying exactly this for years. But most of our fan base (what’s left of it) just attacks anyone who gets vocal. Just head over to Spartan board and you’ll see for yourself. It’s absolutely pathetic to read. Most of those fools are just happy we have a football team, as shit as it is.

5 hours ago, babigos said:

I’ve been saying exactly this for years. But most of our fan base (what’s left of it) just attacks anyone who gets vocal. Just head over to Spartan board and you’ll see for yourself. It’s absolutely pathetic to read. Most of those fools are just happy we have a football team, as shit as it is.

Oh I agree, it's hella pathetic. And I know what you're talking about. They all just go from zero-to-crazy anytime any criticism is brought up. 

Honestly, TTT dug up some post I'd made in 2012 saying SJSU was a good add...at the time, it really seemed that way...but then the wheels fell off and your lesbian administrators seem more concerned with photo opportunities than saving athletics. Which is also stupid, because athletics are the window to your school to the masses. I honestly hope you guys turn it around though, somehow. As an alum of a CSU that just dropped football, I really don't want to see it happen again, be it to you guys, or Sac State, or whomever.  I'm old enough to remember the days when Chico, Sonoma, Humboldt, LBSU, Fullerton all had teams. The current layout is depressing. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Bulldog Rob said:

College football teams are an extension of the local community's cultural identity.   I'm a 2nd generation alumni, my wife is a 3rd, most of my family, friends and co-workers all went to Fresno St.  Even those who aren't big sports fans will tune into a football game, take the family to a game every once in awhile or at least casually follow the football and basketball teams.  There are also a lot of non-alumni locals who grew up following the Bulldogs.  Every circle I run in, family, work, my kid's sports leagues and scout troops, etc. has at least a couple big fans and multiple casual fans.  I had at least 5 or 6 conversations about the SJSU game and the upcoming MWC Championship game today at work with people who were at the game or watched it on television.  

SJSU just doesn't have that kind of base and never will.  The South Bay is full of people who grew up and/or went to school somewhere else along with a large immigrant population.  If you grew up in San Jose and followed local sports you likely followed local pro teams or maybe Stanford or Cal. Any base they did have has been discouraged by 25 years of losing.  I just don't see a path back for them.  The apathy for Spartan Athletics is too much to overcome.  I've wondered if they tried to focus on Basketball if they might be able to get something going.  Make an exciting coaching hire and get a few people to the games (it wouldn't take many to fill their stands) and get a buzz going and try to build on that.  

This. Fresno State is the only big ticket in town as far as sporting events. Yeah we have minor league baseball and soccer, but gamedays in Fresno are a big event. And just being from the valley growing up and watching Fresno state you feel a sense of pride because that is home even if you go out of town for college. Some of the biggest Fresno State fans I know are Cal Poly alumni. Another one is a UCSB alumni. All valley residents. I know a USC and UCLA grad that are from Fresno that have moved back and guess what? They're bulldog football season ticket holders!

Fresno State is a special place because our territory is huge. From Stockton to Bakersfield. We come together and that is where the local community identity comes into play. I know it sounds silly but there was an article either LA times or New York times that said Fresno State is the last true college town in California. Now I know our night life doesn't compare to the college towns of the likes of Cal Poly or Chico State, but they stated more in terms of our sports programs and everyone comes back to Fresno on gamedays.

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

On 11/26/2018 at 11:45 AM, Lester_in_reno said:

have said it before--- as a former Bay Area resident I can say that Stanford and Cal get 97% of the college sports coverage in that media market.

Stanford is located only 20 miles up Rte 280 from San Jose..

San Jose is a huge sprawling city full of transplants who don't  give a rats ass about  SJSU.

And the SJSU students don't care either because they see the lack of attention. so  Its just not on their  radar.

Stanford also priced their tickets very reasonably so they can capture the casual non-alum fan.   Most of those casual fans are SJSU alums who have deserted their team to support Stanford.   Add on top of it 1) many in the Bay Area are House poor with no money for discretionary dollars, 2) the very high immigrant population with no love for football and you have a recipe for SJSU football disaster.   

8 hours ago, creeper86 said:

Everyone living in Fresno ends their life there, unfortunately it’s almost always, prematurely.

More athletic smack from the "weird" guy in the Gay Area?  Oh, wait.

20 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

SJSU could have had Pat Hill for $600k a year, but the admin refused to give him a salary pool for assistants. Basically enough to pay assistants $100k a year, when the CSU minimum is 95k a year. You are going to be hard pressed to find assistants in Fresno for that salary pool, much less the Bay Area with the COL.

He was ready to go, had his staff in place and everything. Big mistake. He would have won there.

But this highlights the conundrum:

The ability to generate funds is limited:

1) the casual fan goes to Stanford games because Stanford prices them in.  The average Stanford alum hardly cares about football so Stanford buys fans (which only Stanford could do)

2) the other fans are too House poor to be able to make large donations

3) the surrounding community has shifted to a largely immigrant community as the tech industry abused the 51b programs. 

The needs for funds to pay to pay the cost of living in the Bay is astronomical.   Without it you can’t hire a D1 level coach. San Jose has no chance to ever hire a Tedford because they can’t pay for the coach or his assistants. 

What I dislike about having SJSU in the MWC is that they are for all intents and purposes a MAC level Athletic Program, and what makes it worse than anything is that they actively CHOOSE to be that way. 

Their cohort schools are Fresno State and SDSU, two of the better Athletic Departments in the Conference.

There is just no excuse for this. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

8 hours ago, babigos said:

You're the most reasonable and self-aware SJSU fan on this board by a mile. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner

SJSU would probably be a lot happier in the WAC, where they would compete in basketball and other sports.

Their football program simply cannot compete.   Their stadium looks dangerous and probably needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt.  But who is going to pay for it?  No one.

They probably need to consider dropping football.  

48 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

SJSU would probably be a lot happier in the WAC, where they would compete in basketball and other sports.

Their football program simply cannot compete.   Their stadium looks dangerous and probably needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt.  But who is going to pay for it?  No one.

They probably need to consider dropping football.  

Hammer meet nail. I’m very surprised the Cali state college administrators have continued to pour money into SJSUs football program while they dropped support for so many others that had the same poor level of local support. LBSU, CSUF, Chico State, Sonoma State, etc. Humboldt looks to be next. 

Drop football at SJSU, enter the BWC and concentrate on their other programs. 

Why the MWC ever accepted SJSU into the conference is beyond me. Even NMSU would have been better. 

Because the alums are stupid and they should drop everything.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I guess I don't get why people on here howl for them to drop football. It's a dumb idea. Plus it's just shitty. Nobody deserves to lose their team. But I do concede it could become an inevitability given a perfect storm in the administration, as I saw happen with my beloved Lumberjacks. And I'll never give them a dime, despite their consistent begging. 

I think that SJSU isn't as lost in the woods as some would make them seem either. Honestly, nobody front-runs like the Bay Area. Nobody. I mean, this would mean they'd actually have to go hire someone with competence. But if they had hired Pat Hill instead of the Outside WR Coach nobody had heard of, or if they could ever lure Mac back, they'd be on a path out. 

But, the glass ceiling here I guess is the fact that the admin probably won't make bold moves, because SJSU's administrators, like other CSU admins, are more risk averse than actuaries. 

I am glad I checked this thread and was reminded why I generally am a lurker on this side of the board.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

This. Fresno State is the only big ticket in town as far as sporting events. Yeah we have minor league baseball and soccer, but gamedays in Fresno are a big event. And just being from the valley growing up and watching Fresno state you feel a sense of pride because that is home even if you go out of town for college. Some of the biggest Fresno State fans I know are Cal Poly alumni. Another one is a UCSB alumni. All valley residents. I know a USC and UCLA grad that are from Fresno that have moved back and guess what? They're bulldog football season ticket holders!

Fresno State is a special place because our territory is huge. From Stockton to Bakersfield. We come together and that is where the local community identity comes into play. I know it sounds silly but there was an article either LA times or New York times that said Fresno State is the last true college town in California. Now I know our night life doesn't compare to the college towns of the likes of Cal Poly or Chico State, but they stated more in terms of our sports programs and everyone comes back to Fresno on gamedays.

Same here.  Working in Ag I know and work with a ton of Poly grads and every one is a Bulldog fan.  

Guest #1Stunner
4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I guess I don't get why people on here howl for them to drop football. It's a dumb idea. Plus it's just shitty. Nobody deserves to lose their team. But I do concede it could become an inevitability given a perfect storm in the administration, as I saw happen with my beloved Lumberjacks. And I'll never give them a dime, despite their consistent begging. 

I had no idea how bad their stadium is until @mugtang attended the Nevada vs SJSU game this year and posted photos.

The bleachers are warped.  Wooden planks as stairs....almost look rotten.   It's pretty bad, and probably needs to be torn down.

Probably needs a complete rebuild.   But maybe they could play at the San Jose MLS soccer stadium (its a commuter campus, and the other stadium is only a couple miles away).

C439CC4D-F578-4643-94F0-21967F5F7BDD.jpeg

448E8C34-58F3-4434-A494-6BFE753202E5.jpeg

20181117_160632.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Not sure if its a possibility, but have to think that SJSU fans / the San Jose Community would enjoy playing football games in this stadium more.

AvayaStadium_Final_Updated.jpg