Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist formerly known as Hal

Why does SJSU struggle so much ?

College football teams are an extension of the local community's cultural identity.   I'm a 2nd generation alumni, my wife is a 3rd, most of my family, friends and co-workers all went to Fresno St.  Even those who aren't big sports fans will tune into a football game, take the family to a game every once in awhile or at least casually follow the football and basketball teams.  There are also a lot of non-alumni locals who grew up following the Bulldogs.  Every circle I run in, family, work, my kid's sports leagues and scout troops, etc. has at least a couple big fans and multiple casual fans.  I had at least 5 or 6 conversations about the SJSU game and the upcoming MWC Championship game today at work with people who were at the game or watched it on television.  

SJSU just doesn't have that kind of base and never will.  The South Bay is full of people who grew up and/or went to school somewhere else along with a large immigrant population.  If you grew up in San Jose and followed local sports you likely followed local pro teams or maybe Stanford or Cal. Any base they did have has been discouraged by 25 years of losing.  I just don't see a path back for them.  The apathy for Spartan Athletics is too much to overcome.  I've wondered if they tried to focus on Basketball if they might be able to get something going.  Make an exciting coaching hire and get a few people to the games (it wouldn't take many to fill their stands) and get a buzz going and try to build on that.  

8 minutes ago, Bulldog Rob said:

College football teams are an extension of the local community's cultural identity.   I'm a 2nd generation alumni, my wife is a 3rd, most of my family, friends and co-workers all went to Fresno St.  Even those who aren't big sports fans will tune into a football game, take the family to a game every once in awhile or at least casually follow the football and basketball teams.  There are also a lot of non-alumni locals who grew up following the Bulldogs.  Every circle I run in, family, work, my kid's sports leagues and scout troops, etc. has at least a couple big fans and multiple casual fans.  I had at least 5 or 6 conversations about the SJSU game and the upcoming MWC Championship game today at work with people who were at the game or watched it on television.  

SJSU just doesn't have that kind of base and never will.  The South Bay is full of people who grew up and/or went to school somewhere else along with a large immigrant population.  If you grew up in San Jose and followed local sports you likely followed local pro teams or maybe Stanford or Cal. Any base they did have has been discouraged by 25 years of losing.  I just don't see a path back for them.  The apathy for Spartan Athletics is too much to overcome.  I've wondered if they tried to focus on Basketball if they might be able to get something going.  Make an exciting coaching hire and get a few people to the games (it wouldn't take many to fill their stands) and get a buzz going and try to build on that.  

@#1Stunner  Can you help get some basketball recruits to SJSU? The pipeline runs through BYU now, no? 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Not enough people care. It really is that simple. Other schools, at the very least, have fair weather fans. In 2012, we were 6-1 heading into a game against Texas state. Our only loss was by 3 points to Stanford in a game that honestly could have gone either way. We were dropping 50-burgers practically every week. I expected to see a huge crowd out there. +++++ing crickets. I mean, prior to our loss to Utah state that year, we were in the conversation for a bcs bowl berth. We finished nationally ranked. We won a bowl game. And yet, in the middle of that success, there’s maybe 6,000 people at the game. 

We are not an fbs program.

SJSU could have had Pat Hill for $600k a year, but the admin refused to give him a salary pool for assistants. Basically enough to pay assistants $100k a year, when the CSU minimum is 95k a year. You are going to be hard pressed to find assistants in Fresno for that salary pool, much less the Bay Area with the COL.

He was ready to go, had his staff in place and everything. Big mistake. He would have won there.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:46 AM, RogueStout said:

Shit facilities, tiny fanbase who don't care enough to enact change, overshadowing by NFL/NHL/NBA/PAC 12 teams, lack of any significant historical success, Administration that sees no value in "the front porch".

We could do this all day. 

GOOD LIST.  You could add little to no alumni support -&- small budget for coaches salaries.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, madmartigan said:

I would like @TheTedfordTrain and @Cincys thoughts on this. I think they have valuable insight to provide. 

¡GREAT PT!  We need more "they suck" & the high brow content that @TheTedfordTrain -&- @Cincy are notorious for.

1 hour ago, TheDoggFather said:

SJSU could have had Pat Hill for $600k a year, but the admin refused to give him a salary pool for assistants. Basically enough to pay assistants $100k a year, when the CSU minimum is 95k a year. You are going to be hard pressed to find assistants in Fresno for that salary pool, much less the Bay Area with the COL.

He was ready to go, had his staff in place and everything. Big mistake. He would have won there.

Hill would have been the perfect hire. He’s familiar with the conference. He’s old as dirt so he’s not going anywhere. And he thinks Fresno did him dirty. 

We are not an fbs program.

12 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Finally, an SJSU fan who gets it and accepts it.

Mow, if only @creeper86 and @COUSIN MAYNARD would accept this truth instead of pretending that Sharta belongs in FBS.

We COULD be a viable fbs program. Plenty of g5 schools out there are middling programs that win 5-7 games pretty much every year and do fine. Bunch of those right here in this conference. 

Theres really no excuse for us not to be better. Dozens of fbs-level players in California either leave the state, accept fcs scholarships, choose to play d2 or lower, or just stop playing. What schools like Wyoming have to go through to recruit and be competitive is almost not worth it. We can cough and make 10 viable recruits sick AND YET WE CHOOSE NOT TO.

its mind-boggling. 

42 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Finally, an SJSU fan who gets it and accepts it.

Now, if only @creeper86 and @COUSIN MAYNARD would accept this truth instead of pretending that Sharta belongs in FBS.

ok, I'm close to accepting it.... but what will happen, Cincy, if I do? I'm a little skeered... don't judge me though; this is a moment of sheer honesty and I am hoping the MWC community will respect my vulnerability... I hope I am not opening myself up.... like you tend to do on a Friday night, you son o bich!!!

4 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Not sure about that one. He’s still one of the biggest supporters of Fresno State football. 

That’s only because he’s on the payroll. You don’t think it filled him with glee privately when his replacement went 1-11?

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

That’s only because he’s on the payroll. You don’t think it filled him with glee privately when his replacement went 1-11?

Possibly. And now he and the old athletic director are long gone. Hill has been a great supporter of all things Fresno State. Even before he got his radio job. He’s still a beloved member of the community, a plublic figure with many corporate sponsorships, applauded and appreciated by almost all Fresno State fans, and was even mentioned as a candidate as athletic director. If there was any animosity for the university, it’s long gone.  

34 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Possibly. And now he and the old athletic director are long gone. Hill has been a great supporter of all things Fresno State. Even before he got his radio job. He’s still a beloved member of the community, a plublic figure with many corporate sponsorships, applauded and appreciated by almost all Fresno State fans, and was even mentioned as a candidate as athletic director. If there was any animosity for the universe, it’s long gone.  

He loves Fresno and will finish his life here. 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:16 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

Interesting take, but I think it’s one that’s out of date. Even Oakland residents talk trash about San Jose. Oakland has become a great place to hang out in. Tons of culture, great eateries, mom and pop shops, etc. I’m not making it up to trash San Jose. San Jose State has enough problems. Just simply reiterating what many Bay Area residents think of San Jose. 

Hmm. I'm starting to get a small understanding Fresno, then. But, I still can't imagine an entire state trash talking my town a la California to Fresno. Must be tough. ...poor sheep 

spartan-hands.gif

8 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

Hmm. I'm starting to get a small understanding Fresno, then. But, I still can't imagine an entire state trash talking my town a la California to Fresno. Must be tough. ...poor sheep 

How about an entire nation trashing your school? Bottom 10 infamy. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:38 AM, Artist formerly known as Hal said:

I understand the issues with having a successful football program but how can you be so terrible at mens basketball? You’d  think just local recruiting could muster a winning team. What needs to change? 

A significant part of it is lack of financial commitment to build the facilities and hire real coaches. You have to invest in a product to build it. It’s business 101. The SJSU admin has zero business sense.