Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaperTigerUSU

BYU blows 27-7 lead

I was at the game Saturday night, and I have to give BYU credit, their players came out inspired and played hard,  much more so than Utah in the first half, and really had the Utes on the ropes. I was more impressed by BYU's QB than I have been by any since they had Max Hall (never bought the hype on Mangum, and Hill was a great athlete, but not a great QB), so you all should feel good about him going forward. BYU is obviously greatly improved from last year, and I would guess that they continue getting better next year, but they may not improve record wise due to their schedule. Good luck in your bowl.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, utenation said:

A decent amount of BYU Fans here don’t fit the delusional mold. 

But mark it down, there will be Heisman chatter in camp Provo in 2019. Look no further than the Taysom Hill disaster for proof.

Utah tried dumping BYU in both sports a few years ago. BYU Politicians made a big stink and even audited Utah’s Athletic department. Dirty pool.

You would think BYU would want to end the misery but they keep coming back for more like idiots.

Utah has had 2 full recruiting classes now that have never lost to BYU. Embarrassing.

First off all, I think you know that I have been in favor of not playing Utah pretty much since the day they announced they were going to the PAC.  I still feel that way.  Does BYU need the game?  Probably.  Can they get other games? Yes.

Now, you act as if BYU has no business being on the field with Utah.  Maybe they don't.  But most of the games have been very, very competitive.  I you want to say that Utah was not very fortunate to get out with wins in 2016 and 2018, go ahead, but you would be wrong.  It would have taken some good fortune for BYU to win as well.  

Last, you mention both sports.  If you look at basketball over that same time period, BYU leads the series 7-3.  Yes, Utah won three in a row at on point and much of that record is Jimmer fueled.  But, over the same time frame as the eight games in football, it is what it is.  We'll see if BYU can get to two in a row in a week or two.

3 minutes ago, Mano said:

I was at the game Saturday night, and I have to give BYU credit, their players came out inspired and played hard,  much more so than Utah in the first half, and really had the Utes on the ropes. I was more impressed by BYU's QB than I have been by any since they had Max Hall (never bought the hype on Mangum, and Hill was a great athlete, but not a great QB), so you all should feel good about him going forward. BYU is obviously greatly improved from last year, and I would guess that they continue getting better next year, but they may not improve record wise due to their schedule. Good luck in your bowl.

This was a good comment from a Ute fan.  Yours was good as well Del Scorcho.  Utah's D is a good as it has ever been, and in the second half really got to the Cougars.  Obviously the offense did what it had to do as well.  I still think the BYU play calling in critical situations was pathetic.  My old friend Utenation is so jaded towards BYU that he could never say anything positive.  That's okay. 

When's lunch?  

44 minutes ago, pacougar said:

First off all, I think you know that I have been in favor of not playing Utah pretty much since the day they announced they were going to the PAC.  I still feel that way.  Does BYU need the game?  Probably.  Can they get other games? Yes.

Now, you act as if BYU has no business being on the field with Utah.  Maybe they don't.  But most of the games have been very, very competitive.  I you want to say that Utah was not very fortunate to get out with wins in 2016 and 2018, go ahead, but you would be wrong.  It would have taken some good fortune for BYU to win as well.  

Last, you mention both sports.  If you look at basketball over that same time period, BYU leads the series 7-3.  Yes, Utah won three in a row at on point and much of that record is Jimmer fueled.  But, over the same time frame as the eight games in football, it is what it is.  We'll see if BYU can get to two in a row in a week or two.

So in other words you sign off on moral victories on close losses? That’s sad.  If my team hadn’t beat  My”rival” in nearly a decade, I would be embarrassed.  I guess BYU folks have to reach for anything to save face in this disaster. 

My reference to both sports was specific to wanting to cancel the series.  Nothing more. Let’s not make it more than what was said.

It’s also pretty sad that BYU clowns in politics are so desperate to stay attached to us that they feel the need to involve legislation.

#staywoke

27 minutes ago, pacougar said:

My old friend Utenation is so jaded towards BYU that he could never say anything positive.  That's okay. 

Jaded? Nah, I just don’t think there is a way to spin getting your asses handed to you 8 times in a row.

Thats called a beat down to everyone not living in Provo.

2 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Why did Utah give in to scheduling byu because they were going to face an audit?  Was there something to hide?

Nothing to hide.  There was a lot of pressure other than an Audit.

The latest contract goes through 2022 I believe. There’s more talk internally of removing BYU from our lives. Hope it happens but we’ll see.

15 minutes ago, utenation said:

So in other words you sign off on moral victories on close losses? That’s sad.  If my team hadn’t beat  My”rival” in nearly a decade, I would be embarrassed.  I guess BYU folks have to reach for anything to save face in this disaster. 

My reference to both sports was specific to wanting to cancel the series.  Nothing more. Let’s not make it more than what was said.

It’s also pretty sad that BYU clowns in politics are so desperate to stay attached to us that they feel the need to involve legislation.

The losing streak is embarrassing to me. Do I lose any sleep over it?  Not likely. It does not effect may day to day life a whole lot. 

9 minutes ago, pacougar said:

The losing streak is embarrassing to me. Do I lose any sleep over it?  Not likely. It does not effect may day to day life a whole lot. 

The last 16 games, nearly 2 decades isn’t much better. Utah is 13-3 against our “rival”.  If it weren’t for Lavell, this series would be worse. Overall, Utah leads 61-34.

Its getting so bad, we have young BYU fans that have never seen their team win.  We could have 20 year olds in the same bucket if this massacre continues.

3 hours ago, utenation said:

Utah tried dumping BYU in both sports a few years ago. BYU Politicians made a big stink and even audited Utah’s Athletic department. Dirty pool.

You would think BYU would want to end the misery but they keep coming back for more like idiots.

Utah has had 2 full recruiting classes now that have never lost to BYU. Embarrassing.

I think its a desperate attempt to stay legitimate without being P5.  Sometimes it is best to just accept where you are and make the most of it.  Utah, TCU, Louisville, BSU, UCF and even other AAC and MWC teams have done so and found ways of success.  For TCU, Louisville,  and Utah it led to invites in a P5 conference.  That is the recipe.  It is tried and true.  I think independence has hurt the rivalry more than P5 for Utah.  Of all the changes that one change is 7-0 record in Utah's favor.  Maybe it is still 7-0 with a MWC BYU team, but outside of money you cannot argue in favor of independence.  (I know you aren't). 

The BYU teams I have watched seem soft lately.  They aren't used to competitive games.  You smack them in the mouth and they cannot respond.  Utah on the other hand is well coached and have that drive.  I thought Shelley skill wise sucked, but he had that qb drive you want in leader.  Hit, 3 and out, and the guy just came back jawing and determined to win even when it looked like the game was out of his hands.  After that drive to get to 27-14 I saw that qb look with Shelley and knew he wasn't done.  Meanwhile Zach has what looks like the tools but there is no fire.  Like the BYU experience just sucks it out of them.  It was hilarious seeing BYU players put more effort in helping Utah players up then putting them on their backs.  Next time just inform the fans on both sides this is just a friendly scrimmage and give us all our money back. 

If it were me, I would fire the d-coordinator and A Rod.  The conference situation is a joke...nothing like playing Pacific in basketball.  (sarcasm). 

2 hours ago, Mano said:

Doubt I watch the bowl.  Why the hell a 6 win team gets a bowl just doesn't make any sense.  And in your defense I think you are reaching to justify being down by 20.  This team is soft.  The defense is vastly over rated and has been all year.  Also unlike other BYU fans I am not singing the praise of a qb that has good games against NMSU, UMass, and Hawaii defenses.  He lost the only real games against Utah and BSU.  I guess I have standards.  Plus, why do you recruit a Utah fan to play at the Y.  Seriously?  This goody too shoe attitude from the BYU side is sickening.  All I have heard from BYU coaches and players the last three years is how good Utah is and how many friends they have on the other side.  Not sure I hear Michigan players and coaches say that about Ohio St.  Oh yeah, that is a rivalry.

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

USU probably going to the Potato.

We'll see where BYU goes.

BYU’s bowl game was hosting USU in Provo.   Ask stunner how the cougars showed that night versus their big brother USU.   Wilson looked great versus USU’s 3rd stringers in 4th quarter. 

17 minutes ago, AggieSox said:

BYU’s bowl game was hosting USU in Provo.   Ask stunner how the cougars showed that night versus their big brother USU.   Wilson looked great versus USU’s 3rd stringers in 4th quarter. 

BYU got steamrolled that night.  No player in history could have changed that.  Just out of curiosity, when exactly did USU start playing their third string?  Because, according to the box score, at QB and RB, they didn't.  And yes I realize you were talking about the defense.

2 hours ago, suralexander said:

Doubt I watch the bowl.  Why the hell a 6 win team gets a bowl just doesn't make any sense.  And in your defense I think you are reaching to justify being down by 20.  This team is soft.  The defense is vastly over rated and has been all year.  Also unlike other BYU fans I am not singing the praise of a qb that has good games against NMSU, UMass, and Hawaii defenses.  He lost the only real games against Utah and BSU.  I guess I have standards.  Plus, why do you recruit a Utah fan to play at the Y.  Seriously?  This goody too shoe attitude from the BYU side is sickening.  All I have heard from BYU coaches and players the last three years is how good Utah is and how many friends they have on the other side.  Not sure I hear Michigan players and coaches say that about Ohio St.  Oh yeah, that is a rivalry.

I am not trying to justify anything, so don't bother coming to my defense.

So, you want to further restrict your recruiting pool by eliminating high school players who root for Utah? Good luck with that. I am sure fans like you make the kids want to come to BYU.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

8 hours ago, utenation said:

Nothing to hide.  There was a lot of pressure other than an Audit.

The latest contract goes through 2022 I believe. There’s more talk internally of removing BYU from our lives. Hope it happens but we’ll see.

Hey Natty, I don't have any internal connections like you do, but was wondering if the new Ute AD has opined at all since the game the other night.  Just curious what his thoughts might be after a first time experience.  Thanks for your willingness to share intel with those of us on the outside looking in.

3 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Hey Natty, I don't have any internal connections like you do, but was wondering if the new Ute AD has opined at all since the game the other night.  Just curious what his thoughts might be after a first time experience.  Thanks for your willingness to share intel with those of us on the outside looking in.

The rumblings I’ve heard have came from coaches. There’s always been decent level boosters that want the game to go away. I think many causal fans and the media want the series. That’s why Chris Hill chopped the series and got fried in the media.

I can tell you this, I was just fine in 2014 when we didn’t play.  This last game was a good example of why there was nothing to play for other than bragging rights and pride. It’s obvious the game makes the state money but we really do have bigger things to focus on.