East Coast Aztec

OT: Gameday Thread Week 13

Morning MWers, :coffeecomputer:

We just had to put up with an absolutely boring last weekend of college football, one where I honestly did next to no watching of football.  Honestly, just boring matchups.  But putting up with the lackluster last Saturday leads up to the best week in the regular season.  Rivalry Week.  And even though my Aztecs are without a rival to play this week, there are more than enough rivalry games to keep me a happy sonofabitch.  Since we all know anything goes in a rivalry, even the supposed lopsided games can get real interesting.  As a fan of the Golden Gophers and the Tar Heels, I pray to 6-pound, 7-ounce Baby Jesus that this happens.

Wyoming plays for a shot at bowl-eligibility against a struggling Lobo team that is trying to die with grace.  On Senior Day, a good showing could be enough, but some senior leaders on the Cowboys side likely want to live to fight another day.  Just a few years ago, San Jose State came out of nowhere to spoil a Fresno State season.  Although nothing will happen with a Fresno loss, losing to a rival is not how you want to head into the CCG.  Fresno is balanced enough to overcome a few mistakes, so it would be a Sparta miracle to get the win.   The battle for the Fremont Cannon is in Sam Boyd for likely the last time.  UNR has had a vast improvement this year, and is the easy favorite this year, but rivalries are rivalries for a reason.  And it is a cool looking cannon, I would fight you for it too.  The surprising Aggies of Logan head into their biggest game that they have had in quite some time as they look to win a game that has NY6 dreams for the winner.  USU has been a juggernaut, but will face easily their stiffest test since they last East Lansing.  Meanwhile, Boise is looking to stop the Choo Choo and notch another win over a ranked team in its belt as both teams hope to host and win the conference title, and are praying for a UCF loss next week.  And a nightcap is a showdown between Hawaii and SDSU.  Both teams started out hot and then cooled off and are now just hoping to be granted a bowl game.  SDSU has talent but it lacka da discipline.  Hawaii's defense is not highly regarded, so it could just be a game that looks good only because of blown plays and poor trench play.

Iron Bowl is upon us, as Auburn heads into to Tuscaloosa to take on a Bama team that undoubtedly will still be motivated for this game, given the results of last year's IB.  Auburn, as predicted, has no idea how to win on the road, and as most of their games of difficulty were away from Jordan-Hare, they are losing them.  Hard to expect anything less this week.  LSU takes on A&M in a game that serves as the ticket to an NY6 bowl for LSU against a team who has yet to beat the Tigers since joining the SEC.  Clemson will probably enjoy another year of slapping the Cocks around, while Georgia will likely wreck the Ramblin Wreck.  USC is going to likely have to give those drunken Irish a Trojan, because Notre Dame is probably going to forget to use the one in his wallet today.  Florida's offense is rather pitiful but they are facing a horrendous Seminole team so they have the advantage in Tallahassee.  Kentucky football is doing well and Louisville's is struggling.  That is going to make a lot of Cardinals fans upset, as they will likely lose in a couple week's on the basketball court as well, and that is a long-simmering rivalry to have to experience a sweep in.  And for all of our friends in Utah, the Holy War will pit the team that swears they don't care about their Yoohoo sipping cohorts against the team that swears they are just as good as their drunken cousins.  It is the suburban version of the Iron Bowl pitting the drunken factory worker vs his side of the family who is so pure that you know there has to be something demented going on inside the home.  And the game of the week surprises no one, as the Wolverines look to complete the revenge tour in Columbus against Urban's Buckeyes.  OSU has not looked great in any facet of the game, and could spell trouble against a stout defense and a Wolverine team that can actually pass the ball.  But, getting a win in the Shoe is tough for anyone, and it hasn't been done in nearly two decades for the fighting Harbaugh's.  It's almost a shame it is on in the first wave of games.

As for me, leftovers, bourbon, Christmas decorating, and football. God bless America.  

Flags are posted, fridge is stocked, polo is laid out.  My body is ready.  May you all lose.  :cheers::USFlag:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Morning MWers, :coffeecomputer:

We just had to put up with an absolutely boring last weekend of college football, one where I honestly did next to no watching of football.  Honestly, just boring matchups.  But putting up with the lackluster last Saturday leads up to the best week in the regular season.  Rivalry Week.  And even though my Aztecs are without a rival to play this week, there are more than enough rivalry games to keep me a happy sonofabitch.  Since we all know anything goes in a rivalry, even the supposed lopsided games can get real interesting.  As a fan of the Golden Gophers and the Tar Heels, I pray to 6-pound, 7-ounce Baby Jesus that this happens.

Wyoming plays for a shot at bowl-eligibility against a struggling Lobo team that is trying to die with grace.  On Senior Day, a good showing could be enough, but some senior leaders on the Cowboys side likely want to live to fight another day.  Just a few years ago, San Jose State came out of nowhere to spoil a Fresno State season.  Although nothing will happen with a Fresno loss, losing to a rival is not how you want to head into the CCG.  Fresno is balanced enough to overcome a few mistakes, so it would be a Sparta miracle to get the win.   The battle for the Fremont Cannon is in Sam Boyd for likely the last time.  UNR has had a vast improvement this year, and is the easy favorite this year, but rivalries are rivalries for a reason.  And it is a cool looking cannon, I would fight you for it too.  The surprising Aggies of Logan head into their biggest game that they have had in quite some time as they look to win a game that has NY6 dreams for the winner.  USU has been a juggernaut, but will face easily their stiffest test since they last East Lansing.  Meanwhile, Boise is looking to stop the Choo Choo and notch another win over a ranked team in its belt as both teams hope to host and win the conference title, and are praying for a UCF loss next week.  And a nightcap is a showdown between Hawaii and SDSU.  Both teams started out hot and then cooled off and are now just hoping to be granted a bowl game.  SDSU has talent but it lacka da discipline.  Hawaii's defense is not highly regarded, so it could just be a game that looks good only because of blown plays and poor trench play.

Iron Bowl is upon us, as Auburn heads into to Tuscaloosa to take on a Bama team that undoubtedly will still be motivated for this game, given the results of last year's IB.  Auburn, as predicted, has no idea how to win on the road, and as most of their games of difficulty were away from Jordan-Hare, they are losing them.  Hard to expect anything less this week.  LSU takes on A&M in a game that serves as the ticket to an NY6 bowl for LSU against a team who has yet to beat the Tigers since joining the SEC.  Clemson will probably enjoy another year of slapping the Cocks around, while Georgia will likely wreck the Ramblin Wreck.  USC is going to likely have to give those drunken Irish a Trojan, because Notre Dame is probably going to forget to use the one in his wallet today.  Florida's offense is rather pitiful but they are facing a horrendous Seminole team so they have the advantage in Tallahassee.  Kentucky football is doing well and Louisville's is struggling.  That is going to make a lot of Cardinals fans upset, as they will likely lose in a couple week's on the basketball court as well, and that is a long-simmering rivalry to have to experience a sweep in.  And for all of our friends in Utah, the Holy War will pit the team that swears they don't care about their Yoohoo sipping cohorts against the team that swears they are just as good as their drunken cousins.  It is the suburban version of the Iron Bowl pitting the drunken factory worker vs his side of the family who is so pure that you know there has to be something demented going on inside the home.  And the game of the week surprises no one, as the Wolverines look to complete the revenge tour in Columbus against Urban's Buckeyes.  OSU has not looked great in any facet of the game, and could spell trouble against a stout defense and a Wolverine team that can actually pass the ball.  But, getting a win in the Shoe is tough for anyone, and it hasn't been done in nearly two decades for the fighting Harbaugh's.  It's almost a shame it is on in the first wave of games.

As for me, leftovers, bourbon, Christmas decorating, and football. God bless America.  

Flags are posted, fridge is stocked, polo is laid out.  My body is ready.  May you all lose.  :cheers::USFlag:

Great write-up.....as usual:thumbsup:

Go PACK!!!

Image result for fremont cannon

Entertaining as always ECA :thumbsup:

My rivalry week started 0-2 with my Huskers and Beavers losing yesterday.  But the one that matters most to me is yet to play.  Granted, Wyoming and New Mexico aren't each others 'most hated' rivals but make no mistake they're rivals!  Wyoming leads the all time series 36 to 34.  Today, as a Cowboy I'm motivated by two things in our matchup vs the Lobos.  The first is the memory of Wyoming's last visit to Albuquerque and the 35 to 56 drubbing the Lobos put on the Cowboys.  New Mexico repeatedly ran straight over the top of the Cowboys defense enroute to a 568 yard rushing effort.  That sumabitch still stings!  The second is salvaging something from this wreck of a season.  After starting 2-6 the Cowboys have won 3 straight, dispatching our 2 most hated rivals in CSU and AF.  Todays game is about more than bowl eligibility and avoiding a losing season.  It's about pride in finishing strong!  GO COWBOYS!

11 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Entertaining as always ECA :thumbsup:

My rivalry week started 0-2 with my Huskers and Beavers loosing yesterday.  But the one that matters most to me is yet to play.  Granted, Wyoming and New Mexico aren't each others 'most hated' rivals but make no mistake they're rivals!  Wyoming leads the all time series 36 to 34.  Today, as a Cowboy I'm motivated by two things in our matchup vs the Lobos.  The first is the memory of Wyoming's last visit to Albuquerque and the 35 to 56 drubbing the Lobos put on the Cowboys.  New Mexico repeatedly ran straight over the top of the Cowboys defense enroute to a 568 yard rushing effort.  That sumabitch still stings!  The second is salvaging something from this wreck of a season.  After starting 2-6 the Cowboys have won 3 straight, dispatching our 2 most hated rivals in CSU and AF.  Todays game is about more than bowl eligibility and avoiding a loosing season.  It's about pride in finishing strong!  GO COWBOYS!

Copy & paste this on the game thread NWC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

@East Coast Aztec great write to start the football day off. Here in northern NM we use red chile as our gravy for turkey & mash potatoes. I will have my wife make a Thanksgiving sandwich (the best sandwich ever). 

Go Lobos!

Is I'll be having a gruyere and bacon turkey sandwich made for me today. :banana:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Solid jinx. :whistle:

Very much needed TD for Michigan 

Then the muffed kickoff 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater