CV147

North Sentinel Island

6 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Interesting discussion.  If a culture practices human sacrifice, then stops the practice due to religion or otherwise, is the culture better off for the change.  Sorry if culture is not the right word, feel free to replace as needed.

Personally, I find these groups facinating, and I tend to be sentimental, so I have a natural bent to status quo and hope these groups can remain isolated.  I don't think the dude should have done it, but I don't think his motivation was evil.  He obviously knew death was a possibility.  Although impossible to know the dudes real motivation,  I don't think we can assume he didn't care, nor can we assume the population would have been wiped out by disease.  Decimation by disease and conversion to Christianity were remote possibility.

His act did provide an opportunity to bash Christians and Christianity, no surprise the actors in this thread who did so.

The risk of disease is precisely why it is illegal to try to contact them. Moreover they've repeatedly demonstrated that they don't want people there. The guy willingly ignored those risks so that he could try to convert them. If he was a Muslim it would have been the same deal. 

A side note is that he didn't intervene to prevent human sacrifice or anything like that. It's because he believed he believed in the right god and they didn't. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Precisely. It’s not appropriate to judge a culture using the value system of your own culture. 

And here we go with cultural relativism.

Lines like  "It’s not appropriate to judge a culture using the value system of your own culture." sound so right and straight forward.  Till you think about it, and realize it's not nearly as simple as that. 

31 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Lines like  "It’s not appropriate to judge a culture using the value system of your own culture." sound so right and straight forward.  Till you think about it, and realize it's not nearly as simple as that. 

It’s certainly straightforward in this case.

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I think it pretty much is as simple as that.

They aren't hurting anyone.  There is no one endangered by their culture.

Why do people think they are better than other people?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 10:52 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Folks, this is 2018. My concern with ANY isolated group is simple. How much do they suffer in their daily lives, especially the women & children? Is it OK to let kids suffer just because we think it’s cool that there’s a little time capsule group out there? Some groups have customs that abuse women & children, some horrifically. That shit has to stop, and I could give a fvck if that ends their isolation if they lack civility.

The purpose of moving forward with a more civilized world, one that moves towards the humane treatment of EVERY living creature, is to obviously eliminate suffering.

Wow. How the he'll did you live this long without drowning in a rainstorm?

5 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

How do you go through life without making any judgements at all?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Christianity has led to infinitely more death, repression and misery in the world than these people.

• Like 1

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

4 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Of course that’s very difficult. But what’s the rationale for this one?

I don’t think anyone besides Covert is making one, so no rationale for this one.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

19 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Good!  Tell all your buddies to stay away too.

No need you ruining the rest of the country like you did shiting all over yourself.

It's shitTing with two "Ts" you ignorant bitch. Given that it defines you, if there was ever a word you should know how to spell, that's it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It's shitTing with two "Ts" you ignorant bitch. Given that it defines you, if there was ever a word you should know how to spell, that's it.

Really, "I didn't know that"!  Sorry I made you shit your bed over it!

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Now I guess I can turn you into Mugtang for calling me a name that made me cry!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, bluerules009 said:

Why are your values more important than theirs?

It is bad enough you torture cats and ruin the environment now you want to kill a whole community.

I like how he casually drops that a genocide of a unique people is the right option here because they practice human sacrifice (allegedly).

Hey, convert, does that mean that Libya is justified in invading and annexing the US to ban abortion?

• Like 3

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

I like how he casually drops that a genocide of a unique people is the right option here because they practice human sacrifice (allegedly).

Hey, convert, does that mean that Libya is justified in invading and annexing the US to ban abortion?

We have to destroy the village in order to save it.

• Like 5