CV147

North Sentinel Island

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

So let's move in convert them to christianity, impose our values on them and probably kill them all with disease.

Yeah, that will save them from suffering!

Always such a fvcking baby with dumb answers. 😂

The fact that you think one little bad germ could come into their dwelling and wipe them out is just one more good reason to intervene. You don’t just need humans to transfer new germs onto an island like that, you dumb-dumb. 

The more I think about this, the more obvious it is what needs to happen. They need to disarm and temporarily evacuate the people to a mainland hospital and evaluate the their condition, especially the children. From this point forward, they’ll have access to modern medicine whether they stay or return to the island. Depending on the culture, conditions, attitudes, etc, a humane and ethical plan of action could be determined.

• Facepalm 2

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Folks, this is 2018. My concern with ANY isolated group is simple. How much do they suffer in their daily lives, especially the women & children? Is it OK to let kids suffer just because we think it’s cool that there’s a little time capsule group out there? Some groups have customs that abuse women & children, some horrifically. That shit has to stop, and I could give a fvck if that ends their isolation if they lack civility.

The purpose of moving forward with a more civilized world, one that moves towards the humane treatment of EVERY living creature, is to obviously eliminate suffering.

So, you're saying that we invade Utah and change the culture?

• Haha 1

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Folks, this is 2018. My concern with ANY isolated group is simple. How much do they suffer in their daily lives, especially the women & children? Is it OK to let kids suffer just because we think it’s cool that there’s a little time capsule group out there? Some groups have customs that abuse women & children, some horrifically. That shit has to stop, and I could give a fvck if that ends their isolation if they lack civility.

The purpose of moving forward with a more civilized world, one that moves towards the humane treatment of EVERY living creature, is to obviously eliminate suffering.

Well, humans lived for 200,000 years just fine without modern conveniences. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been on that island for 5,000 years. If they want to be isolated and left alone, then let them. They're on their own turf and not bothering anyone except those who trespass.

Seeking to rescue an uncontacted tribe because they might be suffering is misguided. How many people with modern conveniences suffer daily?

Leave them alone. If they suffer and/or die it will be on their terms. If we show up with iPads and influenza it will be the end of them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Well, humans lived for 200,000 years just fine without modern conveniences. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been on that island for 5,000 years. If they want to be isolated and left alone, then let them. They're on their own turf and not bothering anyone except those who trespass.

Seeking to rescue an uncontacted tribe because they might be suffering is misguided. How many people with modern conveniences suffer daily?

Leave them alone. If they suffer and/or die it will be on their terms. If we show up with iPads and influenza it will be the end of them.

Let's be honest.  This religious zealot didn't give two fxcks about the people in the tribe.  He would have been just fine with every single one of them dying from some pathogen he introduced to the island so long as they had a fxcking bible in their hands when they checked out.  Then he would be hailed as this great missionary and move onto a lucrative career traveling the fundie chitlin' circuit giving speeches at a megachurch near you.  Fxck him.  Give him a well deserved Darwin Award (irony fully intended) and then forget about him.

• Like 2

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

I think his intention was to teach the people about Jesus as thus move us closer to a second coming.

Looking at his instagram - he seems more like an adventure seeker than a religious zealot. I dont understand how he planned to communicate religion with a tribe that doesn’t speak english. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I don't like that take.  Look, he was a dumb myopic kid who got himself killed.  It's just like those kids that go hiking into Afghanistan or Persia and get themselves killed. 

Did he have it coming?  Of course.  But he wasn't necessarily a bad guy, just naieve.  Being flippant about it isn't right. 

Seriously? He had tried being accepted there before and been rebuffed. Not content with having received a warning he insisted on foisting himself upon people who were adamantly opposed to his so doing. And he brought a football with him for crissakes! Did he think the islanders secretly had a satellite dish with which they were watching NFL Sunday Ticket?

• Haha 3

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Looking at his instagram - he seems more like an adventure seeker than a religious zealot. I dont understand how he planned to communicate religion with a tribe that doesn’t speak english. 

"Lord, is this island Satan's last stronghold where none have heard or even had the chance to hear your name?" he wrote.

"You guys might think I'm crazy in all this but I think it's worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people," it said. "God, I don't want to die."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/you-guys-might-think-im-crazy-diary-of-us-missionary-reveals-last-days-in-north-sentinel-island/ar-BBQ02BA

Interesting discussion.  If a culture practices human sacrifice, then stops the practice due to religion or otherwise, is the culture better off for the change.  Sorry if culture is not the right word, feel free to replace as needed.

Personally, I find these groups facinating, and I tend to be sentimental, so I have a natural bent to status quo and hope these groups can remain isolated.  I don't think the dude should have done it, but I don't think his motivation was evil.  He obviously knew death was a possibility.  Although impossible to know the dudes real motivation,  I don't think we can assume he didn't care, nor can we assume the population would have been wiped out by disease.  Decimation by disease and conversion to Christianity were remote possibility.

His act did provide an opportunity to bash Christians and Christianity, no surprise the actors in this thread who did so.

• Facepalm 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

They should be left alone. I don't have any sympathy for the kid, he was well aware of the island's inhabitants and chose to go anyways, even after getting several warnings from the aborigines themselves. The Jarawas, another tribe in the Andaman Islands that live on an island not far from NSI, have significantly declined in numbers and their way of life is now endangered. Ever since they decided to become friendly with foreigners in 1998, their tribal reserve has been besieged by criminals, tourists, and poachers. It's a really sad story and not unlike one we have heard many times before about indigenous peoples in North America.

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The fact that you think one little bad germ could come into their dwelling and wipe them out is just one more good reason to intervene. You don’t just need humans to transfer new germs onto an island like that, you dumb-dumb. 

The more I think about this, the more obvious it is what needs to happen. They need to disarm and temporarily evacuate the people to a mainland hospital and evaluate the their condition, especially the children. From this point forward, they’ll have access to modern medicine whether they stay or return to the island. Depending on the culture, conditions, attitudes, etc, a humane and ethical plan of action could be determined.

:hookah::hookah::hookah::hookah::hookah:

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Why are your values more important than theirs?

It is bad enough you torture cats and ruin the environment now you want to kill a whole community.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Personally, I find these groups facinating, and I tend to be sentimental, so I have a natural bent to status quo and hope these groups can remain isolated.  I don't think the dude should have done it, but I don't think his motivation was evil.  He obviously knew death was a possibility.  Although impossible to know the dudes real motivation,  I don't think we can assume he didn't care, nor can we assume the population would have been wiped out by disease.  Decimation by disease and conversion to Christianity were remote possibility.

Sure, dude: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/04/18/398578801/it-took-two-centuries-but-the-native-hawaii-ans-has-finally-bounced-back

Boom goes the dynamite.