CV147

North Sentinel Island

So the notoriously hostile and mostly-uncontacted islanders of North Sentinel Island have killed another person, this time an American.

I think they should be left alone. Their history includes a British kidnapping of islanders where the adults died and the children returned with horror stories.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/22/john-allen-chau-man-killed-by-tribe-north-sentinel-island-declare-jesus

I admire their grit, to be honest. And to contact them would most certainly mean the end of their way of life and their possible extinction due to lack of immunities.

More about these islanders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

An expedition led by Maurice Vidal Portman, a government administrator who hoped to research the natives and their customs, accomplished a successful landing on North Sentinel Island in January 1880. The group found a network of pathways and several small, abandoned villages. After several days, six Sentinelese, an elderly couple and four children, were captured and taken to Port Blair. The colonial officer in charge of the operation wrote that the entire group, "sickened rapidly, and the old man and his wife died, so the four children were sent back to their home with quantities of presents".[2][20][21]:288 A second landing was made by Portman on 27 August 1883 after the eruption of Krakatoa was mistaken for gunfire and interpreted as the distress signal of a ship. A search party landed on the island and left gifts before returning to Port Blair.[2][21]:288 Portman visited the island several more times between January 1885 and January 1887.[21]:288

In January 2006, two fishermen—fishing illegally—were killed by the Sentinelese when their boat drifted too close to the island. There were no prosecutions.[8] In November 2018, an American evangelist traveled to the island and was killed.[25][26] The fishermen who ferried him were prosecuted.[2

Self defense against would-be disease carriers and colonizers. I approve. 

• Like 2
On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

So the notoriously hostile and mostly-uncontacted islanders of North Sentinel Island have killed another person, this time an American.

I think they should be left alone. Their history includes a British kidnapping of islanders where the adults died and the children returned with horror stories.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/22/john-allen-chau-man-killed-by-tribe-north-sentinel-island-declare-jesus

I admire their grit, to be honest. And to contact them would most certainly mean the end of their way of life and their possible extinction due to lack of immunities.

Heard this yesterday on NPR. Truly amazing that such isolated societies still exist.

Went to visit my German friend in Frieburg last month.  He's dating a girl from India and they showed us pictures and  shared stories of their very extensive trip last year close to that island. The limited information known about them is fascinating. But ya, let's (civilized 1st world?) just leave them alone.

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

Heard this yesterday on NPR. Truly amazing that such isolated societies still exist.

You should go to a road game at Laramie. Very similar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 11/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, youngrebelfan40 said:

Self defense against would-be disease carriers and colonizers 

and Christians who think that by bringing them a football they'll accept Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

The Christians are not sending their best people.  They're disease riddled.  They're cultural rapists.  Sure, some of them are probably good people.........I guess.

I think they’re more arrow riddled than disease riddled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:36 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I file the guy’s death under “evolution in action.”

I don't like that take.  Look, he was a dumb myopic kid who got himself killed.  It's just like those kids that go hiking into Afghanistan or Persia and get themselves killed. 

Did he have it coming?  Of course.  But he wasn't necessarily a bad guy, just naieve.  Being flippant about it isn't right. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They're dumbshits too. Anyone who does anything like this deserves anything that comes to them as a result of it, including a volley of arrows. 

Look on the bright side though, if it hadn't been the natives that got him, given the guy's apparent intellectual prowess illustrated by this move, he probably would have drowned in the next big rainstorm anyway. 

I get what you are saying.  I just don't like the seeming giddiness that this kid got himself killed.  It's like laughing about a frat boy drinking himself to death. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I don't like that take.  Look, he was a dumb myopic kid who got himself killed.  It's just like those kids that go hiking into Afghanistan or Persia and get themselves killed. 

Did he have it coming?  Of course.  But he wasn't necessarily a bad guy, just naieve.  Being flippant about it isn't right. 

His naiveness was very bad though. He could have killed a lot of people with the pathogens he carried. It’s sad that he was so misguided and died for it, but it’s for the best that he didn’t get any farther towards his goal.

• Like 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

This ignorance of religion got him killed.

He followed billions of others in history to a meaningless death because of religion.

• Like 1

Folks, this is 2018. My concern with ANY isolated group is simple. How much do they suffer in their daily lives, especially the women & children? Is it OK to let kids suffer just because we think it’s cool that there’s a little time capsule group out there? Some groups have customs that abuse women & children, some horrifically. That shit has to stop, and I could give a fvck if that ends their isolation if they lack civility.

The purpose of moving forward with a more civilized world, one that moves towards the humane treatment of EVERY living creature, is to obviously eliminate suffering.

• Facepalm 3

kat.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Folks, this is 2018. My concern with ANY isolated group is simple. How much do they suffer in their daily lives, especially the women & children? Is it OK to let kids suffer just because we think it’s cool that there’s a little time capsule group out there? Some groups have customs that abuse women & children, some horrifically. That shit has to stop, and I could give a fvck if that ends their isolation if they lack civility.

The purpose of moving forward with a more civilized world, one that moves towards the humane treatment of EVERY living creature, is to obviously eliminate suffering.

So let's move in convert them to christianity, impose our values on them and probably kill them all with disease.

Yeah, that will save them from suffering!

• Like 4