lawofthejunglenv

Nevada at UNLV - Battle for the Fremont Cannon

28 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Pffft....football season still? :waiting:

It can't end soon enough.

Looks like this rivalry thread is running along schedule.

Reno vs Vegas smack. Check.

UNLV vs UNR academics smack. Check.

A rinse and repeat from every other year. I suppose there is comfort in the familiar.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Anyone who has lived in the state for more than a few years know the smart kids from Clark county either go to school out of state or in Reno.  Although some are now staying put and going to NSU in Henderson.

UNLV is Nevada's school for under achievers.  It has been that way ever since UNLV was founded.

That’s your opinion on why Clark County kids leave Vegas to go to school. The reality is that there are a lot of factors as to why a teenage kid chooses to either stay in town or leave to go to college. Finances, field of studies and the opportunity to leave home and attend college are all factors when a kid chooses where to go to school, but to say only the under achievers choose to stay and attend UNLV is just an ignorant statement. Both schools have their strong points and other areas where it’s no so good.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

A rinse and repeat from every other year. I suppose there is comfort in the familiar.

Yes. My bad engaging in it. 

I think two things. 

One, despite this years team, I think Vegas should retain Sanchez. Starting over makes no sense to me when on paper Vegas should continue to improve. I’d try to find a QB coach this spring and get to work. Rogers may not be the answer but you can’t hang next season on him if he doesn’t earn the job in the offseason. 

Second, I think the game on Saturday will be a good one. I think Nevada will win because its defense is playing so well but I think it will be a 5-7 point game. 

13 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I didn’t even bother to read the thread, lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Yes. My bad engaging in it. 

I think two things. 

One, despite this years team, I think Vegas should retain Sanchez. Starting over makes no sense to me when on paper Vegas should continue to improve. I’d try to find a QB coach this spring and get to work. Rogers may not be the answer but you can’t hang next season on him if he doesn’t earn the job in the offseason. 

Second, I think the game on Saturday will be a good one. I think Nevada will win because its defense is playing so well but I think it will be a 5-7 point game. 

Sanchez' biggest downfall from the beginning was dragging his QB coach with him from Gorman instead of getting a legitimate one. Also, we have outgrown Cotton. I think Sanchez is close, and I am pleased with the new DC Skipper. I think Sanchez deserves one more year if he cans Cotton and gets a new QB coach.

As for the game, we really don't know what is gonna happen with UNLV game by game. They've been playing better of late, but I am sure their confidence is fragile and Reno always gets up huge for the rivalry game. I doubt it will be too close, tbh. Our pass coverage on the rock is a really bad omen. This just seems like a bad matchup for us.

5 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

That’s your opinion on why Clark County kids leave Vegas to go to school. The reality is that there are a lot of factors as to why a teenage kid chooses to either stay in town or leave to go to college. Finances, field of studies and the opportunity to leave home and attend college are all factors when a kid chooses where to go to school, but to say only the under achievers choose to stay and attend UNLV is just an ignorant statement. 

The bottom line is if you have other options, you don't go to UNLV.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

16 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Older Brother vs Younger Brother smack: check 

• Like 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The bottom line is if you have other options, you don't go to UNLV.

Not really. I had other options and I did. My sister was valedictorian of her high school and had her pick of where she could go. She went to UNLV. Some people want to be home and around family as opposed to leaving. Some are hell bent on leaving. I found the pull of family to be enough to keep me in Vegas and I have done well for myself with my UNLV degree.

No. I hate you because you're from the other side of the state from where I am. You're from another place so I hate you. What....you're a decent person and live life like me? Cool, you're pretty awesome, we should tailgate sometime.

• Haha 2

One reality is true - you never know what will happen in a rivalry game.   Both teams have something to play for this weekend and emotions will be riding high.  Our passing game is very unpredictable and UNLV has some high caliber, game changing type athletes.  I think if Gangi is hot, we win and if Sanchez doesn't get too stupid UNLV has a legitimate chance to win.  

11 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If he were a UNLV coach and was good at cheating, you guys would be making a statue of him.

The NCAA was never able to prove Tark cheated which is why he won his lawsuit against the NCAA for 2 mil. Serious question though. Would you take a National Championship if it meant hiring a controversial coach?

Just now, Gator 82 said:

The NCAA was never able to prove Tark cheated which is why he won his lawsuit against the NCAA for 2 mil. Serious question though. Would you take a National Championship for a controversial coach?

Yes.  And then I’d beat the drum about it for 30 years too :ph34r:

• Haha 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, Gator 82 said:

The NCAA was never able to prove Tark cheated which is why he won his lawsuit against the NCAA for 2 mil. Serious question though. Would you take a National Championship for a controversial coach?

Yeah I probably would, so long as he isn't too controversial.

Rick Pitino is a perfect example of a coach I would have bad feelings about hiring.  On one hand, he'll probably turn your program around.  On the other hand, he may set your program back a decade along the way.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama