lawofthejunglenv

Nevada at UNLV - Battle for the Fremont Cannon

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Didn't he get two conference wins, SDSU & Hawaii?

His record sucks. And Vegas has a woman AD who didn't hire him and may not want him as the face of the FB program.  Tony recently left his wife and two young kids for a Hooters girl. Most women frown on that sort of thing.

They lost to Hawaii in an epic collapse.  

4 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Yeah I probably would, so long as he isn't too controversial.

Rick Pitino is a perfect example of a coach I would have bad feelings about hiring.  On one hand, he'll probably turn your program around.  On the other hand, he may set your program back a decade along the way.   

Meh what's a decade or 3 really? :(

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

His record sucks. And Vegas has a woman AD who didn't hire him and may not want him as the face of the FB program.  Tony recently left his wife and two young kids for a Hooters girl. Most women frown on that sort of thing.

Didn’t know all of that.  Makes sense though.  1 day you are a PE teacher with a PE salary the next day you are taking selfies in a private jet.  What did everyone expect.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

Thanks Mug, it’s like my ugly sister. Nobody else is allowed to talk $hit about her except me.

That’s how I feel about UNLV.  I may rag on you guys but if somebody came in here bagging on you guys, them are fighting words.  

And gtfo with that ugly sister shit :P 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No they lost to Hawaii. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Is this UNRs last realistic chance to ever beat UNLV?

Are you guys dropping football?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

Reading comprehension isn’t your strong point is it. You talk about how stupid people from Vegas are then brag about how you get more students from Clark County than any other county and you don’t see the irony in that? As far as us dropping football and moving to the Big West, even you’re not dumb enough to believe that. Look, I get it. You guys are enjoying your little time in the sun and thats fine because you’ve earned it and UNLV is sucking ass lately, but don’t think for a minute that after all the money that’s being dumped into new facilities for athletics that their just going to throw it all away just because we hired a couple of shitty coaches. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/rebels-in-ruins-is-eliminating-football-unlvs-solution-1531548/

The timing on this article was too perfect. UNLV's football program lost $3.9 million last year. Obviously I'm not the only person who's had the though, this is your local paper.

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

Are you guys dropping football?

Nope

10 minutes ago, bigd said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/rebels-in-ruins-is-eliminating-football-unlvs-solution-1531548/

The timing on this article was too perfect. UNLV's football program lost $3.9 million last year. Obviously I'm not the only person who's had the though, this is your local paper.

It's the Adleson Rag. Best not to take it seriously. How much money did your football program make last year?

16 minutes ago, bigd said:

Known about this for a while.  It is a very real possibility.  The thought is it might make them competitive in basketball again while saving some $.  They have been running the idea around and it has gained traction.  Need a coach.  Need some kids.   But if they can pencil it???   

53 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Nope

It's the Adleson Rag. Best not to take it seriously. How much money did your football program make last year?

Can't find the data for last year, but the year before (Polian's last year) we ended up making $1.175 million. I'm sure last year was worse due to the stadium renovation and Polian's buyout. But our football team typically earns a profit.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/02/22/which-pack-programs-make-and-lose-money/98249574/

Attendance has been rough the past 3 years, hopefully we're able to get it back to normal next season. 

42 minutes ago, slappy said:

Known about this for a while.  It is a very real possibility.  The thought is it might make them competitive in basketball again while saving some $.  They have been running the idea around and it has gained traction.  Need a coach.  Need some kids.   But if they can pencil it???   

No, it's not a possibility.

• Like 1

Nevada Fan talking about Boise's and UNLV's academics: "These are inferior universities with inferior academics full of inferior students who could never cut it at UNR.  These schools should be mocked relentlessly and mercilessly for their inferiority"

Nevada Fan talking about all the public universities higher than it on the food chain: "Rankings don't matter.  Endowment, research levels, student selectivity and faculty stature all don't matter. College is what you put into it, and my education was no different than one at Berkeley, and besides, UNR was 'better for my major.'"

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

7 hours ago, bigd said:

Can't find the data for last year, but the year before (Polian's last year) we ended up making $1.175 million. I'm sure last year was worse due to the stadium renovation and Polian's buyout. But our football team typically earns a profit.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/02/22/which-pack-programs-make-and-lose-money/98249574/

Attendance has been rough the past 3 years, hopefully we're able to get it back to normal next season. 

Anytime a college football team can pull a profit, it is a rarity. Even at the P5 level, most are right at break even or slightly in the red.

I would guess all but maybe two or three MWC programs are in the red. All that is to say that the economic argument for UNLV dropping football isn't a very good one.

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Nevada Fan talking about Boise's and UNLV's academics: "These are inferior universities with inferior academics full of inferior students who could never cut it at UNR.  These schools should be mocked relentlessly and mercilessly for their inferiority"

Nevada Fan talking about all the public universities higher than it on the food chain: "Rankings don't matter.  Endowment, research levels, student selectivity and faculty stature all don't matter. College is what you put into it, and my education was no different than one at Berkeley, and besides, UNR was 'better for my major.'"

I’m not sure in what tense you’re writing?? Is that directed at me? 

8 hours ago, slappy said:

Who has been "running the idea around" and who has it "gained traction" with?

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Is this your first year as a college football fan? This is standard issue smack talk for any rivalry. Don't be a sissy. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm not claiming we're better than everyone, just fyi, but.....the UNR College of Engineering, College of Agriculture Biology and Natural Resources, School of Journalism, Judicial College, and College of Science are top tier. Pretty decent College of Business and School of Medicine. As for the philosophy, art, English, and psych programs, well I can't comment, because let's face it......they aren't real degrees.