bsu_alum9

Boise State vs. Creighton

So far with 3 to go in the first half,  Haney, Williams and Alston are balling and it's basically a back and forth tie game 35-34 Boise.  Wacker stinks, PG's are both AWOL and Jessup isn't himself still but Williams is playing like a newcomer of the year prospect for the MWC. 

Just now, roughrider said:

So far with 3 to go in the first half,  Haney, Williams and Alston are balling and it's basically a back and forth tie game 35-34 Boise.  Wacker stinks, PG's are both AWOL and Jessup isn't himself still but Williams is playing like a newcomer of the year prospect for the MWC. 

41-46 at halftime...not much defense being played.

RJ Williams already has 17 points (8-9).

Would be nice if Alex Hobbs showed up this season. Dickinson started and accumulated 1 foul and no other stats.

Derrick Alston looking good on defense and boards, but 0-4 and zero points.  

Creighton shooting 60% (16-27) and 5 for 7 from 3pt land.

Creighton starting to pull away now.  I'm guessing BSU will be a tough out by the time conference play roles around though...they showed some flashes of being pretty good in the first half but they don't have the cohesion or defense yet to beat a team like Creighton. RJ Williams is legit and will be one of the better players in the MWC for the next two seasons.

Not a bad effort tonight. I thought BSU was the better team for about the first 17-18 minutes of the first half....then Creighton started hitting 3's at a high clip. Creighton is likely to be a bubble NCAAT team and other than the big disparity in 3's made, I thought the teams were fairly evenly matched...so not sweating this loss too much. If Rice can mesh the pieces and they learn how to play defense I think they can win 20 games again this year. 

11 hours ago, Please Spay Your Pets said:

And Boise can learn to hit free throws. After tonight’s debacle it might be time to shoot underhand. 

Rice recruits shooters first supposedly but come on,  4-15 from 3 and less than 65% from the FT line?  That's garbage.  Meanwhile Creighton goes 12-22 from 3.  Game over.  No perimeter play at all from a coach who recruits shooters?    Broncos have 3 starters; Haney, Williams and Alston.   Playing 3 on 5 is tough gig.  

Aggies, you wouldn't happen to want your old coach back would you?  I see how fast you got better when he left and I'd love some of that juju. 

5 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Rice recruits shooters first supposedly but come on,  4-15 from 3 and less than 65% from the FT line?  That's garbage.  Meanwhile Creighton goes 12-22 from 3.  Game over.  No perimeter play at all from a coach who recruits shooters?    Broncos have 3 starters; Haney, Williams and Alston.   Playing 3 on 5 is tough gig.  

Aggies, you wouldn't happen to want your old coach back would you?  I see how fast you got better when he left and I'd love some of that juju. 

If you would have asked us we would have told you!  USU hires a coach with a personality, excitement, who engages with the fanbase and can actually coarch and the makeover has been extreme.  He is the polar opposite of Tim Duryea.   I’m not saying that Smith can soon compete against Duke, but with USU losing its best player a couple of days after Smith’s hire, having a season-ending injury to a key recruit as well as another starter, plus a couple of other defections — Smith wasn’t dealt a very good hand.  I believe the Aggies were picked justifiably #8 or #9 in the conference.  Our current trajectory now appears to be much better than that.

Just now, roughrider said:

Broncos have 3 starters; Haney, Williams and Alston.   Playing 3 on 5 is tough gig. 

I'd add Jessup to that list for 4.  Where did Alex Hobbs go?  Supposed to be one of the top players returning and he's been a ghost. Pat Dembley shoots way too many threes.  

image.thumb.png.cfef42c58bc22a89efcf9854ee72443d.png

The free throw issue - Haney is 5/9 (56%), Wacker is 1/6 (16%), and Harwell is 0/3. Dembley at 6/9.  Everybody else is 70%+.  Not terrible IMO.  Just need to get Alston/Jessup/Hobbs (combined 89%) to the line more often.

4 hours ago, utaggies said:

If you would have asked us we would have told you!  USU hires a coach with a personality, excitement, who engages with the fanbase and can actually coarch and the makeover has been extreme.  He is the polar opposite of Tim Duryea.   I’m not saying that Smith can soon compete against Duke, but with USU losing its best player a couple of days after Smith’s hire, having a season-ending injury to a key recruit as well as another starter, plus a couple of other defections — Smith wasn’t dealt a very good hand.  I believe the Aggies were picked justifiably #8 or #9 in the conference.  Our current trajectory now appears to be much better than that.

In basketball more than any other college sport, the coach is THE difference.  Good job ditching the stuffed shirt and finding a legit guy.   After 8 years we know Rice is good, not great, but was best with solid assistants (who could recruit like Woj).....

Btw, I railed on the Duryea hire when it happened and was lambasted by the blue glasses Bronco fans....I guess because he was good enough to beat Rice with less talent on the roster...(yikes)