Jump to content
bluerules009

Adidas sued

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Tech companies aren’t an organization governing the athletics of non-profit universities.

No the NCAA is a creation of institutions to designed limit the ability of their employees to negotiate pay.  It is a far more flagrant example of a monopoly than anything the tech companies did. 

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Just because the system could be improved doesn’t make the current way of doing things illegal.

 

The Sherman Anti-trust act makes it illegal along with more than a century of precedent.   You are not allowed to monopolize a market so as to control price.

Political considerations are the only reason it hasn't been prosecuted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

He isn’t banned from the NBA though. If he is good enough a team will sign him.

I think his suit revolves around him not being able to play in college because of actions taken by Adidas.

I'm not a lawyer, but if he claims he can't afford college w/o a scholarship, and will therefore be denied an education and not be able to showcase his talents for the NBA while in college, he might have a winnable case.

As I said earlier, I hope he wins.  Adidas, Nike, etc, need to clean up their act and losing a lawsuit such as this might make that goal a bit more obtainable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think his suit revolves around him not being able to play in college because of actions taken by Adidas.

I'm not a lawyer, but if he claims he can't afford college w/o a scholarship, and will therefore be denied an education and not be able to showcase his talents for the NBA while in college, he might have a winnable case.

As I said earlier, I hope he wins.  Adidas, Nike, etc, need to clean up their act and losing a lawsuit such as this might make that goal a bit more obtainable.

The only problem is he is suing the wrong people.

He should be suing his dad and the NCAA.  They are who robbed him of his opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

No the NCAA is a creation of institutions to designed limit the ability of their employees to negotiate pay.  It is a far more flagrant example of a monopoly than anything the tech companies did. 

They’re not employees.

5 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The Sherman Anti-trust act makes it illegal along with more than a century of precedent.   You are not allowed to monopolize a market so as to control price.

Political considerations are the only reason it hasn't been prosecuted.

Yes, because political considerations are so uniform across 50 states, thousands of judges, and an untold number of lawyers who hold political considerations as a higher ideal than a quick buck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think his suit revolves around him not being able to play in college because of actions taken by Adidas.

I'm not a lawyer, but if he claims he can't afford college w/o a scholarship, and will therefore be denied an education and not be able to showcase his talents for the NBA while in college, he might have a winnable case.

As I said earlier, I hope he wins.  Adidas, Nike, etc, need to clean up their act and losing a lawsuit such as this might make that goal a bit more obtainable.

As others have said, I think he should be suing the NCAA and/or his dad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

On this we’re agreed.

 

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

As others have said, I think he should be suing the NCAA and/or his dad. 

Bullshit on the NCAA, what did they do wrong, have rules?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

As others have said, I think he should be suing the NCAA and/or his dad. 

It's not really the NCAA's fault his dad took a bribe. 

The dad should be prosecuted. And if he didn't declare the money, he might be.  But Adidas put him up to it and they are the ones with the deep pockets who may prefer to settle rather than litigate. 

The kid is probably going to get paid.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Have dumb rules that exploit athletes. 

This is the same dumb phucking argument blues makes.

No one forces these kids to go to college. And how is giving a kid a free education "exploiting" them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There is definitely a better argument that their rules caused more economic harm to Bowen than Adidas did.

With regard to basketball players, I'd say it's the NBA's rules that are causing the "harm".

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They’re not employees.

They certainly fit the IRS definition of employees.   They produce a product that makes their employers billions a year.

17 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes, because political considerations are so uniform across 50 states, thousands of judges, and an untold number of lawyers who hold political considerations as a higher ideal than a quick buck. 

Every state except Alaska and South and North Dakota have a D1 University benefiting by the way the NCAA governs athletes at Universities.   Probably every Senator and Congressman is a graduate of one of those Universities benefiting from NCCA rules.  So is every U.S. Attorney I imagine.   All of them benefit from the votes of NCAA fans who would probably be very upset of their university had to adapt to new rules.

The NCAA spends millions lobbying said Senators and Congressman.

Class warfare arguments and the jealousy of many over the supposedly "good deal", athletes get with their scholarship also make any action against the NCAA problamatic.

Decades of calling employees "student", athletes has brainwashed the minds of so many.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

This is the same dumb phucking argument blues makes.

No one forces these kids to go to college. And how is giving a kid a free education "exploiting" them.

And this the same dumb phucking response to that argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Seriously, what's dumb about it?

Are kids required to attend college?

You aren’t going to change your mind, I’m not going to change mine. You have heard the points I will make, I have heard the ones you will make, including this one. 

So how bout we just don’t have this pointless debate and say we did?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

And yet I still hope he wins.  It would be another reason for shoe companies to stay clean and another avenue for punishment if they don't.

How dare they pay to get athletes attend schools that wear their product! Only Nike is allowed to do that!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

With regard to basketball players, I'd say it's the NBA's rules that are causing the "harm".

The NBA’s rules are not good for college basketball, I don’t know how much economic harm they are causing the players. Does anyone really think playing for Duke for “free”,  with the built in loyalty and fanbase, is harming Zion Williamson’s brand and earning potential? Nobody would give a crap about these guys if instead of Duke vs SDSU it was Cedar Rapids vs Texarkana in the G league double AA. People care about the college in college basketball, the players are almost incidental.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The NBA’s rules are not good for college basketball, I don’t know how much economic harm they are causing the players. Does anyone really think playing for Duke for “free”,  with the built in loyalty and fanbase, is harming Zion Williamson’s brand and earning potential? Nobody would give a crap about these guys if instead of Duke vs SDSU it was Cedar Rapids vs Texarkana in the G league double AA. People care about the college in college basketball, the players are almost incidental.

Please tell me that avatar of yours is because of a lost bet and it's not something permanent.

If it is permanent, please change the gender in your description to "questioning" and turn in your NV Fan card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...