bluerules009

Adidas sued

https://www.wsj.com/articles/former-college-basketball-player-sues-adidas-over-payments-1542654128?mod=hp_lista_pos1

The player, former high school basketball star Brian Bowen Jr., alleges that the U.S. arm of German shoe company Adidas AG ADDYY -2.12% , its executives and consultants broke the law in their efforts to influence the families of top high school basketball players and encourage them to attend Adidas-sponsored universities.

His lawsuit follows the convictions of an Adidas executive, an Adidas consultant and a sports agent on federal fraud charges last month related to payments they made to families of prominent players, including to the father of Mr. Bowen Jr.

Unlike the federal case, which argued that the universities were the victims of the Adidas executive’s activities, Mr. Bowen Jr.’s civil racketeering suit posits a new argument in the debate regarding college basketball and amateurism rules: that Adidas caused “foreseeable economic injury” to the player by allegedly arranging payments to the player’s family and thus invalidating his eligibility to play in college.

26 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This is pretty +++++ing rich. “These guys paid me $100,000 to break the rules and now I’m hurt economically because I’m not good enough for pro ball.”

And yet I still hope he wins.  It would be another reason for shoe companies to stay clean and another avenue for punishment if they don't.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I don't know who I loathe more. Prima-donna athletes with average-at-best athletic ability, or sleazy shoe companies. 

Sometimes the payments go to the coaches, handlers and/or family members and the kid doesn't even know. 

• Like 1

Barack Obama

He should sue the NCAA not a shoe company.

There is nothing illegal or damaging about paying his dad to influence him.

It is the NCAA that is using its monopoly power to hurt him and his future earnings.  Over something he couldn't even control which was someone else taking money.

I wonder if the ballless wonders that are U.S. attorneys will ever have the guts to go after the NCAA and its illegal practices.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

And yet I still hope he wins.  It would be another reason for shoe companies to stay clean and another avenue for punishment if they don't.

I worry more about precedents of bad law rulings begetting more shitty lawsuits than the “amateurism” in college basketball.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I worry more about precedents of bad law rulings begetting more shitty lawsuits than the “amateurism” in college basketball.

Amateurism is the way the rich for centuries limited the competition from the masses in their sporting events.   Even the Olympics came to their senses decades ago and gave up on the miserable practice.

The NCAA has used amateurism as a way to protect its member schools from having to negotiate fair market value for its labor used in college sports.   It is nothing more than an illegal restraint of trade.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Amateurism is the way the rich for centuries limited the competition from the masses in their sporting events.   Even the Olympics came to their senses decades ago and gave up on the miserable practice.

The NCAA has used amateurism as a way to protect its member schools from having to negotiate fair market value for its labor used in college sports.   It is nothing more than an illegal restraint of trade.

It’s not illegal.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/former-college-basketball-player-sues-adidas-over-payments-1542654128?mod=hp_lista_pos1

The player, former high school basketball star Brian Bowen Jr., alleges that the U.S. arm of German shoe company Adidas AG ADDYY -2.12% , its executives and consultants broke the law in their efforts to influence the families of top high school basketball players and encourage them to attend Adidas-sponsored universities.

His lawsuit follows the convictions of an Adidas executive, an Adidas consultant and a sports agent on federal fraud charges last month related to payments they made to families of prominent players, including to the father of Mr. Bowen Jr.

Unlike the federal case, which argued that the universities were the victims of the Adidas executive’s activities, Mr. Bowen Jr.’s civil racketeering suit posits a new argument in the debate regarding college basketball and amateurism rules: that Adidas caused “foreseeable economic injury” to the player by allegedly arranging payments to the player’s family and thus invalidating his eligibility to play in college.

What does this have to do with Brett Rypien?

8 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So does it just not matter that he doesn’t appear good enough to make an NBA team?

He would have been if those phuckers hadn't of paid him.

He can't get NBA money but he can get some of that Adidas money.

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Sure it is.

Using a monopoly to restrict the wages of  the employees is certainly illegal.   Google, Apple and others just lost a lawsuit because of it.

I suppose that means the players will be receiving paycecks any minute now.

That’s also not what the tech lawsuit said.

13 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I suppose that means the players will be receiving paycecks any minute now.

The players should be able to negotiate pay like any other employee.  This is America not Cuba.

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That’s also not what the tech lawsuit said.

Sure it did.  it said that the agreement from the tech companies to not poach each others employees was an illegal restraint of trade.

An agreement between NCAA institutions to only offer scholarships is obviously a worse violation of the same principle.

39 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He would have been if those phuckers hadn't of paid him.

He can't get NBA money but he can get some of that Adidas money.

He isn’t banned from the NBA though. If he is good enough a team will sign him.

12 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The players should be able to negotiate pay like any other employee.  This is America not Cuba.

Just because the system could be improved doesn’t make the current way of doing things illegal.

Sure it did.  it said that the agreement from the tech companies to not poach each others employees was an illegal restraint of trade.

An agreement between NCAA institutions to only offer scholarships is obviously a worse violation of the same principle.

Tech companies aren’t an organization governing the athletics of non-profit universities.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Tech companies aren’t an organization governing the athletics of non-profit universities.

No the NCAA is a creation of institutions to designed limit the ability of their employees to negotiate pay.  It is a far more flagrant example of a monopoly than anything the tech companies did. 

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Just because the system could be improved doesn’t make the current way of doing things illegal.

The Sherman Anti-trust act makes it illegal along with more than a century of precedent.   You are not allowed to monopolize a market so as to control price.

Political considerations are the only reason it hasn't been prosecuted.

• Like 1