renoskier

Guess what this week is?

This thread had me go look for information pertaining to what I presumed was an actual cannon used by John C. Fremont. Fremont was an active player in the briefly-lived Bear Flag Republic, and helped support Commodore Stockton's campaign in California during the Mexican-American War. I was drawn to this as the field howitzer abandoned by Fremont closely resembles the piece captured by Californios during an engagement with Gen. Kearny's 1st Dragoons in the Battle of San Pasqual, which became the bloodiest battle in California during the Mexican-Amercian War. 

Interesting to learn that both the original Fremont cannon as well as the museum piece Fremont once mistakenly identified a the original were both found on our side of the border, so technically speaking, that cannon doesn't belong to either of you pig fvckrs... :foottap:

Me thinks we should get the cannon and give you that stanky shitty hooptie ghetto oil can we play Fresneck for. 

• Haha 3

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

This thread had me go look for information pertaining to what I presumed was an actual cannon used by John C. Fremont. Fremont was an active player in the briefly-lived Bear Flag Republic, and helped support Commodore Stockton's campaign in California during the Mexican-American War. I was drawn to this as the field howitzer abandoned by Fremont closely resembles the piece captured by Californios during an engagement with Gen. Kearny's 1st Dragoons in the Battle of San Pasqual, which became the bloodiest battle in California during the Mexican-Amercian War. 

Interesting to learn that both the original Fremont cannon as well as the museum piece Fremont once mistakenly identified a the original were both found on our side of the border, so technically speaking, that cannon doesn't belong to either of you pig fvckrs... :foottap:

Me thinks we should get the cannon and give you that stanky shitty hooptie ghetto oil can we play Fresneck for. 

Yeah but we don’t have any oil in Nevada....I suppose we could instead play for a brick of gold.

• Haha 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You should also mention that we don't have any pig farms either.

That too. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

15 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

If we're playing for trophies of stuff not originally from California, but have crossed the border and were found there, I have an idea or two. 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

There has been word for a while that the original never made it to California. There's written remarks that Fremont had to abandon a cannon in the muddy bed of a small northern nevada creek. Rumors are it's either the Owyhee or Kings Rivers. All stories of this cannon however, are anecdotal with no concrete supporting evidence. Perhaps we'll never know. Oh, and by the way, before Nevada became an actual state the borders were anywhere from 5 to 20 miles further west than they are now. Maybe it was originally the Utah Territoy/Nevada Territory regardless

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

You should also mention that we don't have any pig farms either.

There is oil in Elko and Eureka County and maybe others in Nor Nev. I’ve seen the derricks or whatever they are called...

There was a massive pig farm in Vegas. I think it has moved but there was one there for many years. 

We are oh-2 here. 

9 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

....There was a massive pig farm in Vegas. I think it has moved but there was one there for many years.... 

It's still there.  They just changed the name of the sorority.  Some of their cheerleaders are members.

• Haha 2

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

There is oil in Elko and Eureka County and maybe others in Nor Nev. I’ve seen the derricks or whatever they are called...

There was a massive pig farm in Vegas. I think it has moved but there was one there for many years. 

We are oh-2 here. 

I think there still is, the faint smell is still there.  I believe it is located here 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

We are oh-2 here. 

Well shit....