NevadaFan

Muss recruiting philosophy...

“We’ll probably have a lot more transfers,” Musselman said when asked if he would shoot for an even split of high school players and transfers, his goal in previous seasons. “There’s just less unknown. I’ve said it 100 times, the college basketball landscape has changed. The days of everybody recruiting high school players, it’s just not that way. There’s going to be over 800 transfers again and the complexion of how you develop a roster is a little bit different than it was 10-15 years ago.”

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/after-signing-eric-parrish-nevada-to-focus-on-versatile-transfers-to-complete-class

Yeah its definitely intriguing, even now that we're getting looks from highly ranked HS recruits he still wants to go the transfer route.

I'd imagine the Jordan Brown not being as much of an impact as expected, and already knowing what you're getting from a transfer against D1 competition has a lot to do with it. Having a year of practice with them before they play is also huge. In this era of one and dones there is a lot to be said to having a team full of older, more experienced juniors and seniors, a lot of them who were underrecruited out of high school and hungry to prove themselves.

We're able to land blue chip transfers, a lot of the ones we've landed have had offers from programs like Arizona, Oregon, Cincinnati, and other top programs. Musselman's reputation and ability to use transfers has helped us to land top players and will in the future.

I also wonder if this would affect him changing jobs. UCLA is my big concern for this offseason in case Alford underachieves again. But at the same time, I doubt UCLA would want their coach to build a program with a bunch of Mid Major transfers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah its definitely intriguing, even now that we're getting looks from highly ranked HS recruits he still wants to go the transfer route.

I'd imagine the Jordan Brown not being as much of an impact as expected, and already knowing what you're getting from a transfer against D1 competition has a lot to do with it. Having a year of practice with them before they play is also huge. In this era of one and dones there is a lot to be said to having a team full of older, more experienced juniors and seniors, a lot of them who were underrecruited out of high school and hungry to prove themselves.

We're able to land blue chip transfers, a lot of the ones we've landed have had offers from programs like Arizona, Oregon, Cincinnati, and other top programs. Musselman's reputation and ability to use transfers has helped us to land top players and will in the future.

I also wonder if this would affect him changing jobs. UCLA is my big concern for this offseason in case Alford underachieves again. But at the same time, I doubt UCLA would want their coach to build a program with a bunch of Mid Major transfers.

How do you know brown won’t have an impact? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

How do you know brown won’t have an impact? 

He certainly will, and I'd imagine he'll probably be starting by the end of the year. I worded that poorly, but even compared to All-Americans at top programs he isn't getting many minutes.

I think Muss originally sold him on the idea of playing next to Porter, but they haven't really played together yet. Obviously the season is very young, and its too early to speculate. But even Muss had some quote along the lines of Brown still has a lot to learn about the system, and it will take awhile to get fully acquainted. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bigd said:

He certainly will, and I'd imagine he'll probably be starting by the end of the year. I worded that poorly, but even compared to All-Americans at top programs he isn't getting many minutes.

I think Muss originally sold him on the idea of playing next to Porter, but they haven't really played together yet. Obviously the season is very young, and its too early to speculate. But even Muss had some quote along the lines of Brown still has a lot to learn about the system, and it will take awhile to get fully acquainted. 

You don't see Brown as a 1 and done, do ya?

Too early to tell on Brown..

I think Muss is blowing more than a little smoke about recruiting freshmen..

However, for one reason or the other,  3 guys who entered the program as freshmen have left the program early.

It is fun seeing freshmen grow over 4 years but it is kind of rare these days.

As long as Muss is bringing in talent who fits his system I don't care what grade level they are.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

You don't see Brown as a 1 and done, do ya?

We were warned that Brown is too raw to be a one and done.

But that kid will be very good.  He is a future pro so long as he's not some kind of head case.  He's already shown game to game improvement.

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

48 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

However, for one reason or the other,  3 guys who entered the program as freshmen have left the program early.

As long as Muss is bringing in talent who fits his system I don't care what grade level they are.

One left for lack of playing time (Devearl Ramsey).  Another left due to grades (Josh Hall).  Who's the third?

57 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I hope we can get some home grown talent again. It was fun seeing the local kids play at Lawlor.

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I hope we can get some home grown talent again. It was fun seeing the local kids play at Lawlor.

Yeah I agree, it would be cool to see Jalen Townsell get a scholarship next season, he could be very good. 

Also, I see that Moses Wood from Galena is playing significant minutes as a freshman at Tulane. I think we offered him as a preferred walk on.

7 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah I agree, it would be cool to see Jalen Townsell get a scholarship next season, he could be very good. 

Also, I see that Moses Wood from Galena is playing significant minutes as a freshman at Tulane. I think we offered him as a preferred walk on.

Luke, Armon & Olek would be a hard trio to beat. But we had that big kid from McQueen who ended up playing FB at OR St and that big  kid from Douglas who played at a FCS school and then walked on.

Barack Obama

12 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

One left for lack of playing time (Devearl Ramsey).  Another left due to grades (Josh Hall).  Who's the third?

It wasn't grades..

They also lost Kenny Wooten who requested to be released from his LOI

Along with Oliver that makes 4 out of the 8 freshmen he brought in leaving early.  It may well happen that some or all of the current crop of frosh leave early too..

It is just the way things go these days..

6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It wasn't grades..

They also lost Kenny Wooten who requested to be released from his LOI

Along with Oliver that makes 4 out of the 8 freshmen he brought in leaving early.  It may well happen that some or all of the current crop of frosh leave early too..

It is just the way things go these days..

I forgot about Wooten. 

Considering how heavily Muss relies on transfers, NV would be a tough place for most freshmen. You have to be a stud to beat out a guy transfering in as a Jr, Sr, or grad transfer.

Barack Obama

34 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Luke, Armon & Olek would be a hard trio to beat. But we had that big kid from McQueen who ended up playing FB at OR St and that big  kid from Douglas who played at a FCS school and then walked on.

Matt Lagrone from McQueen and Keith Olson from Douglas, via Northern Arizona. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mad_Hatter said:

Matt Lagrone from McQueen and Keith Olson from Douglas, via Northern Arizona. 

Matt was on McQueen's track team too. He was a really good athlete. I'm embarrassed to not have remembered his name.

Thanks for bailing me out.

Barack Obama