TheSanDiegan

Texas Southern @ SDSU Tonight

Not one to sleep on. Ticksass Southern beat Baylor in their gym in their first game, and then played back-to-back games at #3 Gonzaga on Friday and at Iowa St on Monday.

They've gone the Full Monson, with the toughest schedule in the nation. But Bodybag U started their season last week by sucker punching a B12 squad in their house. And after the guantlet they've run since, I wholly expect they believe they can come onto the Mesa and steal another. They also have something the last SWAC team we played last week did not - a 7'2 eraser.

Aztecs will be looking to get Aguek Arop and Nathan Mensah up to speed. Both had practice time reduced from illness or injury, and neither saw action in our exhibition against Chaminade, instead playing in a game in Viejas for the first time last Tuesday in our season opener. ArkPB ran zone against us all night, and we were effective distributing the ball - both to the high post and around the perimeter. However, in both our exhibition against CharminAid and last week against ArkPB, our rebounding was underwhelming. The height of their C will provide another challenge for us on both fronts.

Lastly, this is our last game before playing the Dookies in Lahaina on the 19th. If we're looking past these guys tonight, there's a good chance we'll be going into the Maui Invitational at 1-1, where we're likely to go 1-2, with both 2-1 and 0-3 as distinct possibilities. It is critical we leave for the islands with an unblemished record.

I'll be there tonight making noise.

Go Aztecs!

• Like 4

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Johnny Jones, Nevada's top assistant last year is their head coach. Yeah, they always play a tough schedule because the SWAC is one of the worst basketball leagues.

SDSU up 24-8.

Also, I see his son who was at walk on at Nevada last year is getting some minutes. Good for him.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Is this televised or streamed anywhere? I haven't had a chance to watch the Aztecs this year, I'd like to watch this.

No TV. Just the scalding warm voice of Uncle Ted.

'Tecs looked real good tonight in person tho. Nathan Mensah is going to be a force.

IMG-0214-800.jpg

And Matty's got back.

IMG-0210-800.jpg

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Domination from start to finish.

We're going to be a handful this year.. It's hard tl fully gauge performance when playing an obviously over-matched squad but N. Mensah played some really good minutes.

Starting lineup is actually small; Hemsley, Watson, Shakel, Mitchell and McDainels playing the 5. Tonight, Narain and N. Mensah were the 1st two off the bench with Seiko getting some short minutes.

Mitchell was killing it. Watson played only ok. He takes too many shots, is a marginal defender at best and tries to dribble out of trouble. He drives me nuts. Shakel shot well. Took the ball to the rack a couple of times. Mc D is showing some real toughness in the low block and has some nice post moves. Outside shot vastly improved.

Arop got some good PT. Played good D. J Mensah and Chang got some minutes late.

We play Duke on Monday. We'll see how we stack up.

• Like 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I should add that the 4 freshmen are physically the biggest guys on the team. Tall but not frail.  Add Seiko who is a large guard and Mitchell who is likewise....not thin and we can throw some size out there.  

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke