SharkTanked

Republicans must ask why so many people with racist values embrace the GOP

I know it is blasphemy to give credence to a CNN Opinion piece, but I thought there was some worthy discussion brought up here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/opinions/republican-appeal-voters-racist-appeal-shawn-turner/index.html

Despite the President's shameless efforts to turn racial animus into votes, and the cowardice demonstrated by Republican leaders, it would be wrong for Democrats to label the GOP as racist.

The mainstream Republican Party is, in fact, made up of decent, hardworking Americans who believe in a core set of conservative values. Those include strong national security, lower taxes, adherence to free market principles, and limited government. They want their rights under the Constitution protected, the rule of law upheld, and individual freedoms respected. And whether we share their worldview or not, these ideals form the foundation of their Americanism.

Conservatives who fit this description will tell you, with heartfelt sincerity, that their core values do not and will not ever include racial intolerance or bigotry. They believe that the legitimate principles of conservatism transcend race, ethnicity and gender and contribute to the prosperity of all Americans.

Nonetheless, many mainstream conservatives continue to be confounded by the GOP having a clear, discernible and persistent race problem.

According to the Pew Research Center, 84% of African-American voters identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party, while 8% align themselves with Republicans. Among Hispanics, 63% affiliate more strongly with Democrats, compared to 28% who lean toward the GOP. The numbers are virtually identical for Asian-Americans, who prefer Democrats over Republicans 65% to 27%. Exit polls from the midterm elections also show people of color voted overwhelmingly in favor of Democrats.

But the numbers painted a drastically different picture when minorities were asked specific questions about their ideology, including how large government should be and how much businesses should be regulated. When the American National Election Studies used this approach in a 2012 survey, it found 47% of African-Americans identified as liberal, while about 45% identified as conservative.

As someone who grew up attending a largely black Southern Baptist Church, I saw firsthand how social conservatism was a core value -- while voting was about electing Democrats.

Instead of questioning why people of color with conservative values vote for Democrats, Republicans should ask why so many people with white skin and racist values embrace the GOP.

For far too long, there has existed an uncomfortable relationship between the GOP and those who pander to intolerance, including the President himself.

But for all the decent, upstanding conservative Americans who reject racism and all it represents, it may be time to reconsider this unseemly union. I know it's not an easy sell, especially among politicians unwilling to leave votes on the table. They know that an outright and unequivocal rejection of all forms of bigotry, racism and intolerance would alienate a good number of voters.

As the 2020 presidential election season kicks into full gear, it's time for mainstream conservatives to stop wondering why people of color disproportionally vote for Democrats. The answer is clear. For many conservative minorities, they see no place for themselves in a political party that both tacitly accepts and openly disparages people of color. When this reality shifts, so will the racial makeup of the GOP.

I understand Democrats have their racist tendencies to be sure, but the racial divide among voters is real (at least according to exit polling). Should it be time for the GOP to fully cast off the overtly racist voters? If no one gives them a voice, they will not be able to speak. Maybe it is time to make a conscious decision to do just that, as a country?

The brown people are not going away and I am sure they far outnumber the white racists. The brown people would also have many who would flock to conservative ideals if the GOP just shut the door on the racist whites. I also think it would help them tremendously with Independents.

Instead they seem intent on stoking the fires of a culture war. I think that is a losing strategy. I also think it does incredible harm to the country.

Based on the exit polls, it seems we now have a party of a lot of white men, some white women... and another party of a lot of white women, some white men and all people of color. Does this tendency look dangerous to anyone else? Is it just a cyclical thing that will reset? Is it much ado about nothing?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

It's because there are a lot of racist people and they're going to be in one party or the other. 

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

The GOP has been the socially conservative party since the 60s, so they are (fairly and unfairly) going to appeal more to the people who liked things "the way they were" than the Democrats. The problem is that previously, Republicans (Steve King and his fellow trolls excepted) tried and keep the more, er, problematic voices related to race at the fringes and tried at least publicly to encourage people in the party to lurch forward on issues of race. Not anymore. The mainstream GOP has embraced racially problematic rhetoric from the president and the Teenage Draculas because it makes the libs and brown people sad. 

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

It's because there are a lot of racist people and they're going to be in one party or the other. 

this country will never elect a Black President because we're just to damn racist!  Oh wait!  
So Florida, NC, Wisconsin, Mich, Penn, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio - ALL voted for Obama in 2008.  Yet, when they then voted for Trump in 2016, they all simply became racist!  Isn't that something! 

I've been thru most of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, down thru the deep south, in the Northeast and much of the midwest.  
Wyoming and Montana are two of the more conservative states in the country overall.  I would also say as far as general populations go, they are two of the least racist states as well.  
This article is nothing but trying to promote identity politics.   No doubt there's racists, anti-semitics, and people who just don't really like anyone who's not just like they are.  But when it comes to voting for candidates, most people end up voting for who they think is going to benefit them.  Its really disgusting that Dems and the media keep trying to use race as a wedge like they do.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pokerider said:

this country will never elect a Black President because we're just to damn racist!  Oh wait!  
So Florida, NC, Wisconsin, Mich, Penn, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio - ALL voted for Obama in 2008.  Yet, when they then voted for Trump in 2016, they all simply became racist!  Isn't that something! 

I've been thru most of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, down thru the deep south, in the Northeast and much of the midwest.  
Wyoming and Montana are two of the more conservative states in the country overall.  I would also say as far as general populations go, they are two of the least racist states as well.  
This article is nothing but trying to promote identity politics.   No doubt there's racists, anti-semitics, and people who just don't really like anyone who's not just like they are.  But when it comes to voting for candidates, most people end up voting for who they think is going to benefit them.  Its really disgusting that Dems and the media keep trying to use race as a wedge like they do.  

"According to the Pew Research Center, 84% of African-American voters identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party, while 8% align themselves with Republicans. Among Hispanics, 63% affiliate more strongly with Democrats, compared to 28% who lean toward the GOP. The numbers are virtually identical for Asian-Americans, who prefer Democrats over Republicans 65% to 27%. Exit polls from the midterm elections also show people of color voted overwhelmingly in favor of Democrats.

But the numbers painted a drastically different picture when minorities were asked specific questions about their ideology, including how large government should be and how much businesses should be regulated. When the American National Election Studies used this approach in a 2012 survey, it found 47% of African-Americans identified as liberal, while about 45% identified as conservative. "

So by your own admission, voting for the Republicans will not benefit non-white voters? Why is that when nearly a plurality of African American voters lined up ideologically with the Republican ideals regarding government and business?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

"According to the Pew Research Center, 84% of African-American voters identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party, while 8% align themselves with Republicans. Among Hispanics, 63% affiliate more strongly with Democrats, compared to 28% who lean toward the GOP. The numbers are virtually identical for Asian-Americans, who prefer Democrats over Republicans 65% to 27%. Exit polls from the midterm elections also show people of color voted overwhelmingly in favor of Democrats.

But the numbers painted a drastically different picture when minorities were asked specific questions about their ideology, including how large government should be and how much businesses should be regulated. When the American National Election Studies used this approach in a 2012 survey, it found 47% of African-Americans identified as liberal, while about 45% identified as conservative. "

So by your own admission, voting for the Republicans will not benefit non-white voters? Why is that when nearly a plurality of African American voters lined up ideologically with the Republican ideals regarding government and business?

So your saying that African American voters are voting against their own interests then?  That seems to be what this article is saying.  The Dems do a good job then of promoting race as  the primary reason to vote Democrat, and they do use race regularly in that regard.  Democrats are the ones who have primarily hurt blacks in the inner cities of this country, not Republicans.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, pokerider said:

So your saying that African American voters are voting against their own interests then?  That seems to be what this article is saying.  The Dems do a good job then of promoting race as  the primary reason to vote Democrat, and they do use race regularly in that regard.  Democrats are the ones who have primarily hurt blacks in the inner cities of this country, not Republicans.  

I wasn't saying anything, I was quoting the article and asking questions based on what the article said vs what you said.

Why do you believe African Americans are voting against their own interests? Is it because "The Dems do a good job then of promoting race as  the primary reason to vote Democrat, and they do use race regularly in that regard."? If so, why have the Republicans not been able to convince African Americans the they are being manipulated by the Democrats? Have Republicans even tried to do so? If not, why not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

Literally has nothing to do with my statement

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

When Donald Trump was a registered Democrat, a couple times he seriously considered running for President but never did. Then after he changed his registration to Republican, he did run for President.

It's been more than half a century since the Democrats nominated a racist for President (LBJ). It's been barely two years since the Republicans did.

I rest my case.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I like how white liberals who live in white enclaves and whose kids go to white schools think they are the tolerant enlightened ones. 

My kids very well regarded school is about half Anglo half hispanic.  The whites are usually Republicans (unless they are teachers) and the Mexicans are usually democrats (unless they own their own business). 

I don't see a lot of rampant racism by either side.  I don't and never have lived in an area with a large black population so can't speak to that. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I like how white liberals who live in white enclaves and whose kids go to white schools think they are the tolerant enlightened ones. 

My kids very well regarded school is about half Anglo half hispanic.  The whites are usually Republicans (unless they are teachers) and the Mexicans are usually democrats (unless they own their own business). 

I don't see a lot of rampant racism by either side.  I don't and never have lived in an area with a large black population so can't speak to that. 

I wouldn't say racism is rampant everywhere, but nationally I think it is the worse it has been in my lifetime. By and large, I don't think my small part of the world is much more racist despite being much more diverse. I would say it seems to be largely Democrat based on the polling data.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

I wasn't saying anything, I was quoting the article and asking questions based on what the article said vs what you said.

Why do you believe African Americans are voting against their own interests? Is it because "The Dems do a good job then of promoting race as  the primary reason to vote Democrat, and they do use race regularly in that regard."? If so, why have the Republicans not been able to convince African Americans the they are being manipulated by the Democrats? Have Republicans even tried to do so? If not, why not?

as I said  most people end up voting for who they think is going to benefit them. 

Obviously many blacks do not see or believe in benefits of voting republican.  To me the biggest reason so many republicans seem to have a hard time getting more blacks to vote for them, is they simply do not pander to blacks in the same way democrats do.  I don't think many blacks actually hear the unfiltered message from republicans, they hear a more biased version which comes from places like CNN and MSNBC which, like this article shows, tries to put a racist slant on things they don't agree with.  
I think for Trump to win in 2020, he's going to have to do better with blacks and hispanics too.  I think he needs to talk more with local black leaders, not celebs like Kanye.  

A couple weeks ago Trump met with Young Black Leadership Summit, which was by a conservative student group, Turning Point USA.  So what do people like Al Sharpton say - they called the whole  event Shameful photo op.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I know it is blasphemy to give credence to a CNN Opinion piece, but I thought there was some worthy discussion brought up here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/opinions/republican-appeal-voters-racist-appeal-shawn-turner/index.html

I understand Democrats have their racist tendencies to be sure, but the racial divide among voters is real (at least according to exit polling). Should it be time for the GOP to fully cast off the overtly racist voters? If no one gives them a voice, they will not be able to speak. Maybe it is time to make a conscious decision to do just that, as a country?

The brown people are not going away and I am sure they far outnumber the white racists. The brown people would also have many who would flock to conservative ideals if the GOP just shut the door on the racist whites. I also think it would help them tremendously with Independents.

Instead they seem intent on stoking the fires of a culture war. I think that is a losing strategy. I also think it does incredible harm to the country.

Based on the exit polls, it seems we now have a party of a lot of white men, some white women... and another party of a lot of white women, some white men and all people of color. Does this tendency look dangerous to anyone else? Is it just a cyclical thing that will reset? Is it much ado about nothing?

First of all, the current snowflake def of racism on the left lumps 10’s of millions of Americans as racist that aren’t even close to being racist. If you’re against letting daily caravans of people in illegally, then you are a racist. 

As far as the racism from the left, it’s not even acknowledged because they don’t know what racism is.

So before you try to tackle big boy adult topics such as this, your party needs to grow the fvck up, put the immature activist rhetoric aside and start analyzing situations honestly/fairly. There will still be disagreement, but at least it’s a real starting point. So get off your soap box and go have a long talk with your party. 

kat.jpg

Democrats who claim to be on the right on racism are so "special".

They are the party that still supports racism in hiring, housing, college admissions etc...

They are the party that has killed more black babies in the last several years then in all their jim crow and slavery days.

They are the party of family destruction, slums, public housing and the perpetuation of poverty.

There are ignorant republicans but no one can come close to the harm that democrats promulgate on minorities.

You are a "special", group.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

When Donald Trump was a registered Democrat, a couple times he seriously considered running for President but never did. Then after he changed his registration to Republican, he did run for President.

It's been more than half a century since the Democrats nominated a racist for President (LBJ). It's been barely two years since the Republicans did.

I rest my case.

Dude the Democrats nominated "Super predator" HRC 2 years ago, what are you talking about?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I rest my case.

Google...They all look the alike

Watcha got?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Your post is too general.

I agree, we need to look at racism.  But you need to show specific examples of racist legislation.   We can then debate and discuss each piece of legislation on a case by case basis.

Otherwise, it is way too general to call Republicans racist, and not offer any specifics that actually affect people (like a Jim Crow law)

And no.... 30 racist dudes marching somewhere doesn't effect anyone (unless they are engaging in violence).   Their views are also not part of the Republican Party's platform.

56 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

First of all, the current snowflake def of racism on the left lumps 10’s of millions of Americans as racist that aren’t even close to being racist. If you’re against letting daily caravans of people in illegally, then you are a racist. 

As far as the racism from the left, it’s not even acknowledged because they don’t know what racism is.

So before you try to tackle big boy adult topics such as this, your party needs to grow the fvck up, put the immature activist rhetoric aside and start analyzing situations honestly/fairly. There will still be disagreement, but at least it’s a real starting point. So get off your soap box and go have a long talk with your party. 

44 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Democrats who claim to be on the right on racism are so "special".

They are the party that still supports racism in hiring, housing, college admissions etc...

They are the party that has killed more black babies in the last several years then in all their jim crow and slavery days.

They are the party of family destruction, slums, public housing and the perpetuation of poverty.

There are ignorant republicans but no one can come close to the harm that democrats promulgate on minorities.

You are a "special", group.

I know some here think Democrats are Satan. I also know they have racists tendencies. I don't think Democrats really have a moral high ground to lecture on racism, and they aren't my party no matter how much @Nevada Convert wants to lump me in there. I vote the issues, not the party.

All of that is secondary to the real topic which is that minorities are voting in yuuuuuge numbers for Democrats while Trump is putting out verbiage debasing the cultural heritage of many of these people (MS-13 or whatever it is, murders, drug dealers, rapists) while not very firmly disavowing white racists (good people on both sides). @pokerider brought up some good examples of things Trump is doing that are positive in reaching out. However, there seems to be some mixed signals coming from him and I don't hear any signals coming from the Republicans.

So the question is should Republicans be concerned that they are not reaching minorities at all, and if so, what do they do about it?

15 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Your post is too general.

I agree, we need to look at racism.  But you need to show specific examples of racist legislation.   We can then debate and discuss each piece of legislation on a case by case basis.

Otherwise, it is way too general to call Republicans racist, and not offer any specifics that actually affect people (like a Jim Crow law)

And no.... 30 racist dudes marching somewhere doesn't effect anyone (unless they are engaging in violence).   Their views are also not part of the Republican Party's platform.

I wasn't calling Republicans racist, but is it not fair to say there are white racists that are voting Republican and Trump does not disavow them? I was showing how they are not reaching minorities, but do you think Trump has improved race relations? What conclusions do you draw from the polling data indicating Republicans are not drawing minority votes?

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

I know some here think Democrats are Satan. I also know they have racists tendencies. I don't think Democrats really have a moral high ground to lecture on racism, and they aren't my party no matter how much @Nevada Convert wants to lump me in there. I vote the issues, not the party.

All of that is secondary to the real topic which is that minorities are voting in yuuuuuge numbers for Democrats while Trump is putting out verbiage debasing the cultural heritage of many of these people (MS-13 or whatever it is, murders, drug dealers, rapists) while not very firmly disavowing white racists (good people on both sides). @pokerider brought up some good examples of things Trump is doing that are positive in reaching out. However, there seems to be some mixed signals coming from him and I don't hear any signals coming from the Republicans.

So the question is should Republicans be concerned that they are not reaching minorities at all, and if so, what do they do about it?

Actually, approval rating of dems among black americans is decreasing...

and Trumps is increasing

Still huge differences but changing

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!