Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Rick Pitino to visit UNLV

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

The president is also a woman.  Comes from the liberal arts side.  A lot of them are anti-man.

When you get a little older and experienced you'll learn that politics are bigger than what an AD or university president may want. They are beholden to people like anyone else. If the right people want something like this done it will get done. 

32 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

When you get a little older and experienced you'll learn that politics are bigger than what an AD or university president may want. They are beholden to people like anyone else. If the right people want something like this done it will get done. 

You’re probably one of those idiots who thought we would fire Dave Rice mid season and wind up with Rick Pitino.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Talk about a contradiction of terms.... sheesh!

Believe it or not, it's a real thing derived from classical libertarians and anarchists like Dejacque, Proudhon, and Kropotkin. One does not have to be authoritarian to be a communist, but that's neither here or there. 

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

Actually no, you werent clear, because I took something totally different from what you said earlier. 

That said, I disagree that all of those teams would take UNLV's talent over their own. Mike Dunlap of LMU is a helluva coach. 3 of his 4 top scorers are all Seniors. The same goes for Valpo and Bucknell. So in terms of experienced talent and ability, those teams are far superior to UNLV. 

Clyburn was like 3rd as a scorer on his JC team as a senior, but leads UNLV? Juiston is not even playing. 

You said yourself that SDSU, UNM, reno are superior in talent. Its clear that Fresno and USU also are superior in talent and experience to this roster as well. Thats about half the MWC.

You got a lot of likes on that post from the peanut gallery, but I seriously disagree with your assessment of the landscape. This is not a traditionally talented UNLV roster, and the talent that is there is all Freshmen and Sophomores there is zero quality experienced talent! Zero!

Now pre-game scouting, half-time adjustments, proper subs and mental focus have been mixed bags with Marvin. My primary gripe, which was the same with Rice, was sub patterns and who is playing. Pre-game scout can be great, yet diminished, if you dont play the right personnel. Marv has coached his team to win the 2nd half of the last several games. Like him or not, that speaks to focus and adjustments. 

I try to make an honest assessment. A few people here get themselves going in one direction, and then can only see negatives. There are a lot of negatives showing right now with this team and staff, so I dont need to embellish facts or stats in order to make an informed decision about what I see. Even though I feel there are more talented teams than you give credit for, I still think whats going on is a problem for Menzies. 

Just so you know, @Ernie Baer is the most knowledgeable and most respected rebel fan on here, or anywhere else.

Just sayin.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

The president is also a woman.  Comes from the liberal arts side.  A lot of them are anti-man.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

You’re probably one of those idiots who thought we would fire Dave Rice mid season and wind up with Rick Pitino.

You have no idea how close that came to actually happening. Pitino was here, Steve Wynn had the checkbook out, in the event that Louisville would cut him loose THAT year, which was a very real possibility. But the Louisville prez found out that he would be cut loose before Pitino would be, and Pitino ended up being fired a year+ later after Menzies was already here. And now you know.

34 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

You have no idea how close that came to actually happening. Pitino was here, Steve Wynn had the checkbook out, in the event that Louisville would cut him loose THAT year, which was a very real possibility. But the Louisville prez found out that he would be cut loose before Pitino would be, and Pitino ended up being fired a year+ later after Menzies was already here. And now you know.

Unless you were there, it’s speculation.  I’m very wary of these reports people put out.

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Unless you were there, it’s speculation.  I’m very wary of these reports people put out.

Ph, wary of what others post, but when it’s him, you best believe it’s 110% true. No facts. You’re just expected to believe the bs. 

But others? You better have those facts ready. 

15 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

he said that pitino will be the new coach barring menzies winning the conference. and that the money has been secured. he said that right now they need each other.

:hmmm: Why now (2019) is the $$$ suddenly available for whomever to become HC at UNLV where the $$$ weren't available after Rice was canned :foottap::waiting:

The idiocy surrounding UNLV from Boosters is stunning !!! :pullhair:

11 hours ago, Jersey Rebels said:

I think the only person that is happy with UNLV's coaching struggles outside of just hatred from Reno is Mug, because we're good for his clicks. This will be bigger than Fire Dave Rice if he stays another year. 

While most of us enjoy the delusion from the UNLV fanbase, I personally would love to see UNLV get Pitino. Nothing would be better for the state, the conference, and the rivalry than to have us both be consistent top 25 programs, with a nationally relevant rivalry game.

13 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Absolutely.   With the amount of scrutiny that would be on him, the program, very hard to believe he would slip up.  It is not like he had any issues with the NCAA up onto the very end at Louisville.  Most of that had to do with him trying to keep up with Calipari/UK.  They could easily write something into his contract which I doubt he would be opposed to.

Wrote the other day there are definitely people trying to make it happen but understanding UNLV’s administration very hard to believe they would sign off on it given the cloud and scrutiny that would come with it.

The only thing that could be persuasive is the financial woes.  No one UNLV can realistically hire would boost attendance, interest, like hiring Pitino would.

I could see UNLV trying to land Pitino for a few reasons

1) The VGK are the LV areas team now and UNLV is a complete afterthought in every regard

2) The Raiders coming and the reality the new stadium has anemic parking means people (despite the new stadium) WILL NOT take a bus shuttle from remote parking to see UNLV play ANY MWC team - UNLV might get 20,000+ for a "name P5 program" but drawing for the average MWC team will be a tough sell

3) The above realities means UNLV BB is the ONLY hope to keep ANY UNLV sport relevant to metro Las Vegas - Thus the ONLY way to get a headline for UNLV would be to hire a FLASH name as HC for BB - A NAME That can bring immediate excitement and potential to the program - FB is on it's own, but BB can get cured real fast with a HC who could instantly bring UNLV national headlines 

4) I hate to admit it, but with the VGK taking the market by storm, and the Raiders only 1 FB season away from bringing the NFL to the LV market - UNLV almost has no choice but to go big on a BB hire in what is and will be a desperate attempt to keep UNLV MBB relevant in a fast changing sports market 

11 minutes ago, bigd said:

While most of us enjoy the delusion from the UNLV fanbase, I personally would love to see UNLV get Pitino. Nothing would be better for the state, the conference, and the rivalry than to have us both be consistent top 25 programs, with a nationally relevant rivalry game.

This is all speculation that ANY MWC program can sustain a top 25 level program over a period of time - Since the MWC formed in 1999 this has not happened 

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I could see UNLV trying to land Pitino for a few reasons

1) The VGK are the LV areas team now and UNLV is a complete afterthought in every regard

2) The Raiders coming and the reality the new stadium has anemic parking means people (despite the new stadium) WILL NOT take a bus shuttle from remote parking to see UNLV play ANY MWC team - UNLV might get 20,000+ for a "name P5 program" but drawing for the average MWC team will be a tough sell

3) The above realities means UNLV BB is the ONLY hope to keep ANY UNLV sport relevant to metro Las Vegas - Thus the ONLY way to get a headline for UNLV would be to hire a FLASH name as HC for BB - A NAME That can bring immediate excitement and potential to the program - FB is on it's own, but BB can get cured real fast with a HC who could instantly bring UNLV national headlines 

4) I hate to admit it, but with the VGK taking the market by storm, and the Raiders only 1 FB season away from bringing the NFL to the LV market - UNLV almost has no choice but to go big on a BB hire in what is and will be a desperate attempt to keep UNLV MBB relevant in a fast changing sports market 

Absolutely.  Added to that it would not shock me to see an NBA team at T Mobile in the next few years.  I know Silver is much more open to the idea than Stern ever was.

This is quickly become a pro sports town for which UNLV is slipping further and further down people’s radar when it comes to entertainment dollars.

The financial ramifications is the one big counter argument to taking the risk when it comes to Pitino.  If Marvin doesn’t turn it around, as of now seems unlikely, there is a lot at stake with the next hire.

19 hours ago, qwelish said:

That said, I disagree that all of those teams would take UNLV's talent over their own. Mike Dunlap of LMU is a helluva coach. 3 of his 4 top scorers are all Seniors. The same goes for Valpo and Bucknell. So in terms of experienced talent and ability, those teams are far superior to UNLV. 

Well this is interesting.  Your original comments scattered throughout the message board was UNLV was losing games because of a lack of talent.

When it was pointed out to you the level of talent UNLV has and that they were losing to the likes of less talented teams such as LMU and Valpo at home and being run out of a neutral gym by a mediocre Bucknell team, now you want to change the reason to experience.

Very happy for Mike’s success at LMU, but his experienced team was beaten handily by so far an average at best UCLA team comprised primarily of of freshmen, redshirt freshman and sophomores.  Valpo’s “experince” was just blown out at home to Ball State, Bucknell’s “experience” was run out of its own gym by Northeastern.

And ultimately whose fault, responsibility, is it there is not more experience on the roster three seasons in?  Had players like Poyser, Dwayne Morgan, Troy Baxter, Anthony Smith and Zion Morgan stuck around there would be more experience in the program.  Can be argued in an instance or two the coaching staff had no choice, in others though they chose to recruit over/run off.

Even then lets not pretend there is virtually no experience on the roster.  Clyburn, Dembele, Coupet and Silvijancion have been in the program all three seasons; Juiston, Hardy, Diong and Beck two seasons.  While Robotham is technically new, and in the end there is no substitute to live game action, he is a senior who played good minutes at Akron and did get to practice with the team last season which in theory should make for an easier transition.

This does though bring up another deficiency with the staff and that is player development, or lack there of.  Obviously you are never going to get improvement out of everyone, a few players have shown some improvement (Clyburn, Hardy, Diong).  The problems are no one has shown significant improvement yet, while some players who have shown practically no improvement (Coupet and Silvijancion), and in some cases regressed (Dembele, Beck and Juiston) over their time.     

Hard to have much success when many of your experienced players are barely improving, worse regressing.  The fact that some of these guys who have been around for some time now are barely serviceable role players is troubling. That falls primarily on the coaching staff.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

This does though bring up another deficiency with the staff and that is player development, or lack there of.  Obviously you are never going to get improvement out of everyone, a few players have shown some improvement (Clyburn, Hardy, Diong).  The problems are no one has shown significant improvement yet, while some players who have shown practically no improvement (Coupet and Silvijancion), and in some cases regressed (Dembele, Beck and Juiston) over their time.     

Hard to have much success when many of your experienced players are barely improving, worse regressing.  The fact that some of these guys who have been around for some time now are barely serviceable role players is troubling. That falls primarily on the coaching staff.

This is exactly what I have seen as well even starting with year1, the real year 1. That team was not coached up at all. I didn't expect anything dramatic but maybe just working through and eliminating a problem or two as the season progressed. They actually got worse as well. Last year was more of the same and we saw again the frustration within the team as the season went on. 2 1/2 years in and we still don't have a clue on how to stop drive after drive for layups. At a minimum I expect a coach and staff to be able to teach the game of basketball yet Marv's teams while here have displayed very poor fundamentals and basketball IQ. In game decisions and adjustments are pretty much nonexistent. All of this falls directly upon the staff.  

4 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Well this is interesting.  Your original comments scattered throughout the message board was UNLV was losing games because of a lack of talent.

Okay, you could quote that, why not quote where I said UNLV is losing soley because of talent? Just quote it if its true. You didnt, so... 

Ive been very consistent stating that the combination of lack of talent and experience are the reason why UNLV should be better in the future. Never gave a set reason for all loses, because each game and team are unique. 

Nice try, though!

When it was pointed out to you the level of talent UNLV has and that they were losing to the likes of less talented teams such as LMU and Valpo at home and being run out of a neutral gym by a mediocre Bucknell team, now you want to change the reason to experience.

Again, consistency. I have repeatedly stated exactly what I stated in the post you replied to. LMU and Bucknell won because of upperclassmen talent. So wrong again. I have stated over and over that UNLV needs both more talent and more experience. Funny you didnt quote any of my posts where you intentionally misquote me.

Very happy for Mike’s success at LMU, but his experienced team was beaten handily by so far an average at best UCLA team comprised primarily of of freshmen, redshirt freshman and sophomores.  Valpo’s “experince” was just blown out at home to Ball State, Bucknell’s “experience” was run out of its own gym by Northeastern.

That is funny, but again, every game and team is unique.  Brown is blowing out sdsu right now. So what is your point exactly? Or do you just have a bone to pick with me because you were incorrect and I pointed it out? Notice im quoting and going point for point instead of paraphrasing and misquoting you.

And ultimately whose fault, responsibility, is it there is not more experience on the roster three seasons in?  Had players like Poyser, Dwayne Morgan, Troy Baxter, Anthony Smith and Zion Morgan stuck around there would be more experience in the program.  Can be argued in an instance or two the coaching staff had no choice, in others though they chose to recruit over/run off.

Im the one who pointed that out. So why not quote when I said that? Not sure what point youre intending to make here, other than taking credit for points I made. Obviously its Marvin and the staffs fault there is not more talent on the roster. Which is why Marvin is on the hot seat, and rightfully so. Or was this just a rhetorical question meant as filler for the peanut gallery?

Even then lets not pretend there is virtually no experience on the roster.  Clyburn, Dembele, Coupet and Silvijancion have been in the program all three seasons; Juiston, Hardy, Diong and Beck two seasons.  While Robotham is technically new, and in the end there is no substitute to live game action, he is a senior who played good minutes at Akron and did get to practice with the team last season which in theory should make for an easier transition.

Bad players, not talented. I pointed that out already. Juiston is not even playing. You tried throwing that in last time. All of these players have played a grand total of ONE and third seasons of college basketball. If you recall, we are comparing these guys to seniors who have played together at their respective schools, LMU, Bucknell, Valpo for 3 plus seasons along side each other under the same coach. This is the entire point I was making, and that you glossed over.

Again, mostly one year players. Clyburn is at his full potential as a player and has improved year to year. He is just not talented. Scrubs who were brought in just to fill the roster. Cant kick everyone off the team. There is an APR that effects scholarship count and post season. Dembele has not regressed, he was not very good from day one, but he's better now than when he got there. You are wrong there, sorry. Beck regressed in his conditioning, it happens, and was also slightly recruited over. Juiston has just been exposed as a player who is not a go to guy. If you want to quote something, look at my post right after the exhibition game where I said that he will not be good as a go to player. Its not regression, its being exposed. There is a difference. 

All of the players that are here are due to the coaching staff. But im going to make points I have consistently made over and over. These guys have played together for 1 and one quarter of a season. I do not agree with you on who is improving and who is not or regressing. My primary gripe is that MARVIN IS NOT PLAYING THE GUYS HE RECRUITED WHO ARE BETTER THAN THE OLDER SCRUBS HE'S BROUGHT IN. Marvin is relying on bad seniors, instead of decent freshman. The freshmen are not world beaters, but they have more size and skill than some of the guys getting heavy minutes. Here I am repeating again, the SENIORS MARVIN IS PLAYING ARE NOT MORE TALENTED THAN THE GUYS AT LMU, Bucknell or Valpo. Noah and Clyburn would not crack the line up on those teams. They are worse than what those teams have, WHICH IS MY ENTIRE POINT that you pretend like I did not make, Ernie. Is it a crime to disagree and have your own opinion here?

Why misquote me and poorly paraphrase what ive said? I have been extremely consistent, when you pretend that I have not, while not quoting my posts you disagree with. There is SOME talent on this team, but in my opinion there is not enough talent and definitely not enough EXPERIENCED TALENT. Lets at least have a discussion based on honesty and not misrepresenting each others positions. 

Thanks!