Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Rick Pitino to visit UNLV

21 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No surprise a Vegas guy would need the meaning of the word "anchor" explained to him.

We are suddenly the sail of the conference in BB.  SDSU & UNM are not far behind and may replace us as the sail in a year or two.  Someone else may climb the ladder as well.  The only certainty is vegas will still be a cellar dweller while others do the work.

It's like you guys and San Ho don't even try to get better.

During any given FB season, you and and SJ are dragging up the rear. That won't change.

Sadly, your basketball program isn't much better.

You're an RPI and SOS drag on everyone who is playing for a seed or decent bowl game. You can't even give anyone a good win. 

I’ll give you guys basketball for now, but as quickly as you came up, it can all come crashing back down. How long do you think UNR can sustain this success in basketball? I honestly hope you guys remain good for a long time. I will say this, even though we haven’t had much success on the court since Kruger left, UNLV is still a national brand which is evident in the way they recruit and schedule. How many losing records has UNLV had in the last 20 years? You’ll also be hard pressed to find anyone with any type of basketball IQ who will ever call losing to UNLV a bad loss. You guys still have a long way to go to match the success UNLV has had in basketball and you guys have been around as a University a lot longer than we have. Trust me, UNLV will get its shit together and finally hire a good coach and get the program back to a respectable level again. On a side note, you shouldn’t ever use the phrase “Vegas Guy” again. It just makes you sound like an adolescent tool.

55 minutes ago, bigd said:

I'll definitely take the Cannon and a ranked basketball program over the Governors trophy, but I honestly respect your viewpoint. The athletes in the sports that aren't followed as closely deserve a lot of respect. 

Nevada won the regular season basketball and baseball titles, and will bowl in football. I’ll take that. 

UNLV needs to resurrect basketball.  They are/were a household name.  The Pitino hire would be a great move for both.  For Pitino the way he went out is not how he wants to be remembered.  Was it his fault?  Sure.  But great coaches like that have pride.  They believe in their own abilities to a fault.  They do not want to be known as a cheater and a coach with no moral character.  Look at all the great coaches that grabbed another chance when given.  It happens a lot...they may never land a Kentucky type job again but they will take whatever comes their way if tempting enough. 

UNLV needs to embrace their image just like Miami.  For the last several hires it has seemed like they have went for the cleanest image out there in the hire.  Almost like they are trying to convince the world that they are clean.  Who gives a damn.  If the NCAA thinks you are guilty make them prove it. Meanwhile get that bad ass attitude back, start running gunning and smothering on defense.  Bring back real UNLV basketball ball.

1 hour ago, suralexander said:

UNLV needs to embrace their image just like Miami.  For the last several hires it has seemed like they have went for the cleanest image out there in the hire.  Almost like they are trying to convince the world that they are clean.  Who gives a damn.  If the NCAA thinks you are guilty make them prove it. Meanwhile get that bad ass attitude back, start running gunning and smothering on defense.  Bring back real UNLV

Great advice.  Even though their title is forever tainted, it is still their title.

13 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Vegas could drop football and very few in sin city would give a phuck.

Vegas had a great coach in Lon Kruger but they didn't really like him. A fair few, Robie included, wanted to dump him for Reggie T. 

It's hard to imagine Vegas having sustained success in the MW.

They should consider moving to the Big West and either dropping FB or moving to FCS.

They should go somewhere where they can be competitive. 

I mentioned this earlier and took some heat from vegas fans. Why not drop football?  It would allow them to put all their resources into hoops and let's be honest I doubt many in Vegas would even notice. history has shown that they clearly cannot compete in both sports. I'm guessing the mw would jump at the chance to lose the dead weight In football while giving Unlv hoops some more time to get competitive. 

Its a win win. Push for this Unlv fan. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

9 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Because you happen to have two of the biggest troops on this board maybe? You talk chit and start stupid threads constantly.

Maybe a select few talk shit and start stupid threads (@ph90702). But if you look at a lot of the unlv threads, they tend to have more replies and pages than a lot of the other threads for other schools. And that isn't just because it's only unlv fans commenting. There are always other schools' fans in there. 

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

Maybe a select few talk shit and start stupid threads (@ph90702). But if you look at a lot of the unlv threads, they tend to have more replies and pages than a lot of the other threads for other schools. And that isn't just because it's only unlv fans commenting. There are always other schools' fans in there. 

I edited my post. I apologize for saying “you.” It should have said who. 

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

Thats cause we’re STILL the most relevant, even as bad as we’ve been the last few years...right @RebelRobert?

:D

46 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Thats cause we’re STILL the most relevant, even as bad as we’ve been the last few years...right @RebelRobert?

:D

I tend to think it’s a combination of people having visited/travel to Las Vegas to watch their teams over the years and have become familiar with unlv and the campus.  

The other reason is a lack of a decent Rebel board, Rebel-net is... an echo chamber of sorts. 

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Love how y’all have all the answers for UNLV. 

:thumbsup:

We do bring out the best in you, keep it up!

It's clear that vegas doesn't have the answers.  Especially in football. 

They actually had the answer (LK) for basketball, but they thought they could do better. 

UNLV can't get out of its own way.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Well the AD will need to do something sooner than later. Right now the failures are falling on her predecessor but if she remains silent much longer it will all be on her head. So we shall see who gets the blame or credit in the future.

In terms of Pitino, someone will hire him and he will coach again. His history at Louisville will be an event in history like so many before him. The only thing that really matters is what he does moving forward and I'd love to see him coaching at UNLV. Great teacher of the game and even better at X's and O's on the floor during a game. That is something we haven't seen in years.

Well I'm off to the game to watch, who the hell know what.