retrofade

Let's file this under: The Worst Decision That Democrats Could Make

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

In all honesty who do the Democrats have to run?   I struggle to think of a single viable candidate.   

Why do we want a clear candidate right now so that the right wing demagogue machine can attack them and make up shit for the next two years?  Being unnamed and no clear front runner is a great advantage right now.  Let Trump soak up the spotlight and see if that helps him.

Not having a coronation this year is exciting and whichever candidate gets the nomination may have the opportunity to define themselves instead of having already been defined.  Coming out of nowhere could be a big advantage. 

Trump lost most of the Midwest, Arizona, and is barely winning Florida and Georgia.  Imagine what will happen when we get the turnout in some of those swing states that normally happen in a presidential year.  I have no doubt that the Republicans really got an enthusiastic vote for the midterms and that is about their top performance while Democrats have a lot more people they can turn out.

Posted Image

4 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Come on man, have some hope for yourself. The country is basically 50/50 all the time. The GOP has to win Florida and Ohio (and North Carolina), no easy feat in any year, and still steal one of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, which barely happened last time. Yes, rural whites are turning against the Dems, and yes a gender gap in men for GOP is apparent in all subsections of society, but the same holds true for women and Dems. And the Republicans are bleeding suburban voters in the era of Trump. The RINOs are real and they are pissed off.

You want someone that should scare the GOP, Trumpists, and the still conservative never progressive never Trumpers? Amy Klobuchar. She just won re-election and mopped up the rural Trump voters on her way. She also doesn’t have the persona to try and out-Trump Trump, or out Spartacus the hardliners. Instead of Harris’ woke fire, or the others trying to beat Trump at the demagogue game, Minnesota nice would be a welcome counter to Trump’s chaos magick. She might actually appear like there is an adult in the room.

I’d posed the question elsewhere, but I’d heard it said if the parties picked candidates instead of letting the voters do it, she would be the weapon the guys in Smokey back rooms would love to trot out.

So start with her. They’re all a turd sandwich, but take heart that they only have to beat the biggest douche in the world to win.

As for me...

giphy18.gif?resize=500,362&quality=100

I don't agree with you much but I think you may be right about Klobuchar.  I didn't know much about her but I have been reading about her and she seems really great.  Having a nice, competent woman wipe the floor with Donald Trump in the electoral college would be so sweet to watch.  She is also from a Midwest purple state.  I am not that enthusiastic about some of the other younger senate candidates because a lot of them seem like grandstanders who have been carefully slotting themselves in for president.

The only thing to worry about her is would she wield the power when she wins or would she make the mistake of the last time Democrats had the majority and presidency and start worrying about winning the next election instead of getting the right policies pushed through.  Being "nice" hopefully doesn't mean trying to be all bi-partisan when we know Republicans are just going to filibuster the whole time.

Posted Image

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Can he take a punch though? The guy had nothing but fawning media praise for a year which helped, along with not running to the center, to launch him to national prominence.

That won’t be the case, especially if Clinton gets in. The brand is damaged, but the machine is still there and very rich. And if she doesn’t get in the behind the scenes score settling will be amazing.

I completely agree the jury is still out on orourke.

Hillary isn't running 

5 hours ago, Akkula said:

Why do we want a clear candidate right now so that the right wing demagogue machine can attack them and make up shit for the next two years?  Being unnamed and no clear front runner is a great advantage right now.  Let Trump soak up the spotlight and see if that helps him.

Not having a coronation this year is exciting and whichever candidate gets the nomination may have the opportunity to define themselves instead of having already been defined.  Coming out of nowhere could be a big advantage. 

Trump lost most of the Midwest, Arizona, and is barely winning Florida and Georgia.  Imagine what will happen when we get the turnout in some of those swing states that normally happen in a presidential year.  I have no doubt that the Republicans really got an enthusiastic vote for the midterms and that is about their top performance while Democrats have a lot more people they can turn out.

I think Ocasio would fit your style. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jackmormon said:

Biden’s time has past...

Yes. And there never was, nor will there ever be, a time for Hillary.

Dammit, Bill! Will you grow a pair and put that bitch in her place!

• Haha 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yes. And there never was, nor will there ever be, a time for Hillary.

Dammit, Bill! Will you grow a pair and put that bitch in her place!

Because she cut them off and  keep them in her purse ever since Monica. That was part of the plea agreement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, edluvar said:

Horrible call of she decides to do it.   Hilarious people think she is a worse choice than tiny hands at this point 😂

Actually, it's hilarious that the dems would run her up the flag pole when so many believe she's a worse choice than tiny hands.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

12 hours ago, retrofade said:

Booker is pretty much a center-left politician. I'd say that Harris is as well, but she's shifted significantly to the left over the last two years.

Booker's rhetoric has shifted significantly to the left as well. At one point in the past, I was a fan. I'll have to check out Beto.

Never underestimate the ability and desire of the Democrats to lose the right way with 3rd Way, centrist policies that keep the corporate cash flowing than to return to being the party of FDR and the New Deal start winning again.

As for Booker, he's a fauxgressive. But unlike Obama he has enough of a track record that he won't be able to pull off the big grift like O did in 2008.  Plus, he's embraced a blatantly unconstitutional bill that would literally criminalize criticism of Israel that's a poison pill to progressives.  

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

16 minutes ago, Akkula said:

I she the new right wing boogie man?  You are going pretty low on the totem pole these days to find folks to demagogue.

They're obsessed with her.  A guy I knew in HS has a twitter account that's constantly slamming her and attempting to interact with a right wing parody account of her.  Now, this is a guy who was habitually unemployed after college, couldn't support his wife and kids and when she left him couldn't make his child support payments.  But he considers himself a member of the Republican club.....I guess because he was in a frat at UNR or some other insane reason that let's him think he's part of the club. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.