retrofade

Let's file this under: The Worst Decision That Democrats Could Make

Get ready for Hillary Clinton 4.0. More than 30 years in the making, this new version of Mrs. Clinton, when she runs for president in 2020, will come full circle—back to the universal-health-care-promoting progressive firebrand of 1994. True to her name, Mrs. Clinton will fight this out until the last dog dies. She won’t let a little thing like two stunning defeats stand in the way of her claim to the White House.

It’s been quite a journey. In July 1999, Mrs. Clinton began her independent political career on retiring Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan’s farm in upstate New York. Her Senate platform included support for a balanced budget, the death penalty and incremental health-care reform. It was a decisive break from her early-1990s self. Hillary Clinton 2.0 was a moderate, building on the success of her communitarian “It Takes a Village” appeals and pledging to bring home the bacon for New York. She emphasized her religious background, voiced strong support for Israel, voted for the Iraq war, and took a hard line against Iran.

This was arguably the most successful version of Hillary Clinton. She captured the hearts and minds of New York’s voters and soared to an easy re-election in 2006, leaving Bill and all his controversies behind.

But Hillary 2.0 could not overcome Barack Obama, the instant press sensation. During the 2008 presidential campaign, Mrs. Clinton held fast to centrist positions that would have assured her victory in the general election. But progressive leaders and donors abandoned her for the antiwar Mr. Obama. Black voters who had been strong Clinton supporters in New York and Arkansas left her column to elect the first African-American president. History was made, but not by Mrs. Clinton. Though she won more delegates from Democratic primaries, activists in caucus states gave Mr. Obama, who had called her “likable enough,” the heartbreaking win.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-will-run-again-1541963599?mod=hp_opin_pos1

48 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Everybody keeps running hard to the progressive left of Bernie. I’be been saying it for a while, that center left lane in Iowa is wide open.

A center left candidate would probably need to be black (or at the least not be opposed by Booker or Harris running to their left), otherwise theyd get wiped out on super tuesday.

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

A center left candidate would probably need to be black (or at the least not be opposed by Booker or Harris running to their left), otherwise theyd get wiped out on super tuesday.

Maybe, maybe not. Primary results build off one another. There’s a lot of scenarios where the hardliners keep chairshotting each other while a single moderate wipes out the other moderates nailing down a significant chunk of the voters. If it’s not Biden, I do think it needs to be a woman. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

11 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Booker is pretty much a center-left politician. I'd say that Harris is as well, but she's shifted significantly to the left over the last two years.

7 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Biden’s time has past...

I would say so too but you never know, these high level politicians are often “my country calls upon me to save it” types. I mean just look at the OP.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Maybe, maybe not. Primary results build off one another. There’s a lot of scenarios where the hardliners keep chairshotting each other while a single moderate wipes out the other moderates nailing down a significant chunk of the voters. If it’s not Biden, I do think it needs to be a woman. 

Beto will run from the center.  Harris or Booker would clobber him in Dixie though.  There arent many white working class democrats left , it has changed the dynamics of democrat primaries.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Biden’s time has past...

Polls indicate he is the leading Dem candidate if he runs. If Clinton runs there will be some pop corn eating infighting among the Democrats. She still has a lot of pull and more money than anyone else. Maybe she could make Michelle Obama her running mate. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Polls indicate he is the leading Dem candidate if he runs. 

There’s many a slip ‘twixt the cup and the lip.

Quinnipiac poll in the weeks following the 2014 midterms.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc.com/msnbc/jeb-bush-surges-lead-gop-pack-new-2016-poll/amp

260129-F0-DE00-4842-BA19-DD71-F883-C7-EE

42 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Beto will run from the center.  Harris or Booker would clobber him in Dixie though.  There arent many white working class democrats left , it has changed the dynamics of democrat primaries.

Can he take a punch though? The guy had nothing but fawning media praise for a year which helped, along with not running to the center, to launch him to national prominence.

That won’t be the case, especially if Clinton gets in. The brand is damaged, but the machine is still there and very rich. And if she doesn’t get in the behind the scenes score settling will be amazing.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

In all honesty who do the Democrats have to run?   I struggle to think of a single viable candidate.   

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

In all honesty who do the Democrats have to run?   I struggle to think of a single viable candidate.   

Come on man, have some hope for yourself. The country is basically 50/50 all the time. The GOP has to win Florida and Ohio (and North Carolina), no easy feat in any year, and still steal one of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, which barely happened last time. Yes, rural whites are turning against the Dems, and yes a gender gap in men for GOP is apparent in all subsections of society, but the same holds true for women and Dems. And the Republicans are bleeding suburban voters in the era of Trump. The RINOs are real and they are pissed off.

You want someone that should scare the GOP, Trumpists, and the still conservative never progressive never Trumpers? Amy Klobuchar. She just won re-election and mopped up the rural Trump voters on her way. She also doesn’t have the persona to try and out-Trump Trump, or out Spartacus the hardliners. Instead of Harris’ woke fire, or the others trying to beat Trump at the demagogue game, Minnesota nice would be a welcome counter to Trump’s chaos magick. She might actually appear like there is an adult in the room.

I’d posed the question elsewhere, but I’d heard it said if the parties picked candidates instead of letting the voters do it, she would be the weapon the guys in Smokey back rooms would love to trot out.

So start with her. They’re all a turd sandwich, but take heart that they only have to beat the biggest douche in the world to win.

As for me...

giphy18.gif?resize=500,362&quality=100