utaggies

Rank ‘em

11 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

What does sales have to do w/anything???

They only thing you are proving here is the ability to behave like a angry lil' 12-y/o boy.

Well, we all know he has the “hands” of a lil’ 12 y/o boy.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

good to have you back, you seemed to be hiding from the game thread.

I hosted some friends for the game.  Sorry you missed me.

Did you drink yourself into oblivion again, trying to forget about the size of your hands?

18 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Thank God we have two weeks until we play you. 

I remember the last time we had to beat Utah State to get to the MWCCG in 2014. I puked in the Suds parking lot and then went back to drinking.   

You should get yourself to a meeting 

2 hours ago, hickaggie said:

I don't know that USU scores that many or not on the blue turf but if they come in prepared I think they do.  Boise's defense is not the same juggernaut of year's past and your QB makes some great throws but also some mistakes when pressured.  The Aggies laid an egg against a Wyoming team that was able to physical our receivers in cover 2 over the top and got a pass rush with 4 man line.   You guys need to do the same to limit the Aggies and Love and this O-line have been fast learners so I have my doubts.   IF USU, and thats a big if, can be mentally prepared for a place they haven't won in 30 years, BSU is gonna need some good bounces to stay with them. 

I feel like your O-line is suspect and that Rypien will get some huge plays but also force some errors.  USU has just been too efficient for that.  I think our starters have allowed 4 picks, and lost 2-3? fumbles along with the Scarver strip on KR that got AFA back in it.  They had the stupid punt last week too but other than that they don't give opponents a lot of breaks.  Boise is going to have to protect the ball against a very opportunistic defense on one hand and create TOs where no one else really has and beat a special team's unit that is very solid too.

But maybe Wyoming is the true Aggie Offense against a good D... Hard to know with thie pansies we've played.  In the only real comparisons you guys handled Wyoming a lot better than USU but almost loss at home  to a dismal team the Aggies put away in the 1st quarter on the road.  AFA put up more against you guys than the Aggies but judging performance against the triple is not a good guage except to the extent that the Aggies offense is RPO too.

You haven't researched this part much, have you? Boise is 6th in the country in sacks (1st in the MW, obviously) and has three different guys on the DL in the top-10 in the league in sacks. Boise will be, hands down, the best pass rush the baggies have seen... and it is mostly coming from the line. Wyoming is 10th in the conference in sacks. I would say if that is what gives the baggies trouble, that is what Boise does best... even with all of the injuries they've had defensively. They are starting to get healthy(er). They just got three starters back on the DL last week and it showed. 

19 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

You haven't researched this part much, have you? Boise is 6th in the country in sacks (1st in the MW, obviously) and has three different guys on the DL in the top-10 in the league in sacks. Boise will be, hands down, the best pass rush the baggies have seen... and it is mostly coming from the line. Wyoming is 10th in the conference in sacks. I would say if that is what gives the baggies trouble, that is what Boise does best... even with all of the injuries they've had defensively. They are starting to get healthy(er). They just got three starters back on the DL last week and it showed. 

Your football team and SDSU's basketball team are pretty similar these days. Meaning good enough to win a mediocre conference more than half the time but no longer as good as any non-power conference team in the country. Time will tell if that's attributable to a temporary lull or if our peaks of several years ago were just an aberration.

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.

There seems to be some belief among Aggie fans that Wyoming's defense was stellar the day we played or that Love was under some intense amount of pressure. If you go watch the game though, Love had plenty of time to deliver the ball, he just had an off day. Yes there was some occasional pressure by the Pokes but it was almost always a missed assignment or miscommunication by the Aggie OL that was to fault. Love and his WR's were just not on the same page and our play calling was significantly different than other games this season. I almost wonder if our coaches got a little too cute during the prep for that game and were overthinking what they needed to do.

5 minutes ago, Roy_McAvoy said:
  1. Boise State (They're hitting on all cylinders now and are going to beat the Aggies at home. Watch)
  2. Fresno State
  3. Utah State 
  4. Nevada
  5. SDSU 
  6. Air Force 
  7. Hawaii
  8. Wyoming
  9. Colorado State
  10. UNLV
  11. New Mexico
  12. San Jose State 

:lol:Welcome Roy. How's ODU doing this year?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madmartigan said:

What are your thoughts on the matchup in two weeks? 

1) Thanks for asking that. It's so rare to talk football on this board. 2) I haven't really looked into it yet, so much of this will be impressions and the stuff I have looked into.

I completely agree with you about Boise. It's really hard to say anything definitively about them because they have been very inconsistent. It's not an excuse, but the injuries have been substantial. They did lose their top two tacklers and a two-time All MW player on the DL for the season, so they won't play. But there have been multiple games missed by a bunch of other players and it's mostly all been on the same side of the ball. They have missed the starter at every position at some point on the defensive side except MLB and the Nickelbaker spot. Every other position they have had to rely on the back-ups. It made me chuckle when a SDSU said after their victory that this Boise team lacked the depth of teams in the past. That couldn't be more false. The fact that they have been able to have so many guys go down and still be 8-2 is a testament to that depth. What I do know now is that DT Hatata, NT Lui, and DE Miles are finally back. Which is huge, because that is the entire starting DL (down to the 3rd string in Hatata's case, being that he was Moa's backup). OG Quedevo just came back last game. I assume their best WR in Evans will be out since he's only played a few snaps all season. Their biggest playmaker on offense (WR Hightower) is still out. If Hightower is able to play and they don't lose anyone else, it will be healthiest they have been in over a month... and they will still be without four starters.

One of the reasons I was buying USU in the offseason was that most didn't realize how good their defense was. The baggies play at a faster pace than any other MW team, offensively. That skews the numbers defensively. On the surface, they looked like the 7th best defense in the league, but their defensive yards per play was very close to BSU, FSU, Wyo, and SDSU, who most agreed were good defenses. In fact, their yards per play yielded was almost identical to SDSU's, who led the league in total defense. So I knew they would be good returning the front seven. I also anticipated Tipa making it better, but he's been MUCH better than even the most ardent baggie fan could have anticipated. Last year, they were really missing that playmaker in the front seven (a Fackeral/VIgil type). He has been that and I actually think he is one of the leading candidates for DPOTY. There are still two more games and some others that make a good case, but he'll be in the conversation. Offensively, you figured Love would improve. You figured the run game would be decent with the OL returning, but the RBs have been way better than anticipated... and that makes that offense click when that happens.

Now, I was on record thinking that Fresno was going to win last week, but I grew silently more optimistic as the week went on when I looked into it more. Their defense was a juggernaut, but when you looked at the offenses they faced, they were absolutely terrible (for the most part), and two of the better ones they faced were without their starting QB. So I had the feeling that they may not be as good as the numbers looked... and they weren't. With USU, playing at a fast pace generally means blowing out teams that you are better than. Whereas a team like SDSU that runs clock and plays slow, often times find teams they are better than in games late. So I'm a little less enamored by the blowouts, because that style of offense tends to produce that, so I'm going to look at some other things in that regard. I know some baggie fans are really excited about the results of the BYU game, but Boise was down seven starters (depending how you choose to count them) on the defensive side of the ball and BYU was playing a different QB which has made their offense more dynamic. So, while not ignoring it completely, but I'm not sure that is the best gauge. They both beat Wyo and AFA on the road. USU was actually outgained in those two by 100+ yards in total, where Boise outgained them by 300+ yards in total. That's something else to look at.

One last thing to think about that I think will be an advantage for Boise. I don't want to put too much hyperbole into baggie mouths, but considering that they have a legit chance at an Access Bowl, 1st MW Title, and are ranked higher than I can remember, this seems like it'll be one of the biggest games in decades for the baggies. This is also a really big game for Boise... but the difference is they have had dozens of games this big or even bigger recently. This is really an annual thing in Boise. I really think that helps Boise out a lot. 

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. I'll come up with more game related stuff later.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

There seems to be some belief among Aggie fans that Wyoming's defense was stellar the day we played or that Love was under some intense amount of pressure. If you go watch the game though, Love had plenty of time to deliver the ball, he just had an off day. Yes there was some occasional pressure by the Pokes but it was almost always a missed assignment or miscommunication by the Aggie OL that was to fault. Love and his WR's were just not on the same page and our play calling was significantly different than other games this season. I almost wonder if our coaches got a little too cute during the prep for that game and were overthinking what they needed to do.

Umm...apparently you missed the play of Wingard and Epps in the secondary and the play of Logan Wilson when he dropped into coverage.  I couldn't have had much of a better view of the game and the defense was outstanding giving Love very few open windows.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TrueAg said:

What I thought Wyoming did well was first they generated pressure from a 4 man front.  Like you said it wasn't every down but better than the Aggies had seen.  They then got really physical with our receivers to disrupt timing with 2 deep help over the top.  The Aggies got off to a slow start and things just went down from there to the point Wells just decided to nurse the lead.    Wyoming changed QBs and they got a drive or two to make it interesting.   Aggies have been great against the run this year except for option teams (pitch) and running QBs for some reason.

We'll see,  The disconcerting thing for me is that Wyoming is the best D the Ags have faced and they aren't that great.  MSU had a good rushing D and ultimately made a great play with a blitz but couldn't cover USU's receivers.  BYU was terrible and the rest have been high school level.

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Umm...apparently you missed the play of Wingard and Epps in the secondary and the play of Logan Wilson when he dropped into coverage.  I couldn't have had much of a better view of the game and the defense was outstanding giving Love very few open windows.

Yes, the 2 deep physical play was really good.  Didn't give Love much.   Great game plan and execution.

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

No, just the bit I've watched.  Getting after Love and disrupting receivers timing is what has worked so far.   I have really only watched Boise in parts of the AFA and BYU game.   USU really brings it too although from a multiple blitz perspective, although BSU's secondary is probably better.  It'll come down to which of the two QBs, the senior or the sophomore maintains his composure.  Rypien sure looked dialed in the 2nd half of the Fresno game.

The wild card is the way USU is executing the RPO.  Boise struggled against AFA with their secondary and LBs getting frozen against the triple pass.  The Aggies also have a legit running game and I will say it, the best back in the conference in Darwin Thompson. Also Dax Raymond would have made a huge difference if he had been healthy in countering what Wyoming was doing.  Be interesting.

I am not discounting Boise at all.  They always bring it and always destroy the Ags, especially in Boise.  Its going to be a welcome sight to play a team with a pulse and see what the Aggies have.