fanhood

Top Teams in the American.

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Most people in the east don’t even see western football as they are going to bed as we kickoff. 

Also the most visible conference in the West in the PAC is trash this year (sorry PAC guys, you probably have a decent average rating, but conference strength is more based on the ranking of the top 3 teams than having a bunch of #35 or so teams). We're tainted by association. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, Cincy said:

You guys are the only ones who don’t hear the rest of us laughing at you.

if you're laughing at us it means you're thinking about us...teams in the MAC, Belt, and CUSA can't say that.

quote-there-s-no-such-thing-as-bad-publi

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner

Never understood why some fans on here are so upset at Tulane and Tulsa.

Both schools have decent facilities.

It seems like it is mostly Boise and SDSU fans that are upset, because once those schools joined the AAC, it caused their schools to abandon the AAC.

Like I said, they don't have bad facilities.

TULANE

TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpg

Avron_B_Fogelman_Arena_in_the_Devlin_Fie

TULSA

b88c7e3af0fa1137b0cc418faa47efad.jpg

Tulsa-Basketball-3-e1501220313457.jpg?fi

The only scenario for the AAC to get the AQ if Central Florida loses is Cinci if they beat them and win out.    In that case, I can't imagine they would jump past USU if the Aggies win out with some style points.  Right now Sagarin has 17 Fresno, 29 USU, and 31 Boise while UCF is 23 and Cinci 43.  If USU beats those two teams (Boise on the Road) it would be a travesty if Cincy got the bid.  If Fresno or Boise were to win out either of those teams would deserve the AQ but at least its an argument for Cincy because of 1 vs. 2. losses.  

2 minutes ago, hickaggie said:

The only scenario for the AAC to get the AQ if Central Florida loses is Cinci if they beat them and win out.    In that case, I can't imagine they would jump past USU if the Aggies win out with some style points.  Right now Sagarin has 17 Fresno, 29 USU, and 31 Boise while UCF is 23 and Cinci 43.  If USU beats those two teams (Boise on the Road) it would be a travesty if Cincy got the bid.  If Fresno or Boise were to win out either of those teams would deserve the AQ but at least its an argument for Cincy because of 1 vs. 2. losses.  

If 9-1 Cincy goes on the road to beat #11/12 UCF I would expect them to make a big jump in the polls...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

With respect to the OP, Cincinatti plays defense - they are currently #6 in the NCAA ranking  https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22  Of the top 50 NCAA teams in Total Defense, currently the Bearcats are the only American team that makes the list.  The rankings are aggregate game statistics so arguably they would be inflated by playing weaker opponents but UCF's absence weights against that criticism.

Currently there are SIX teams ranked in the top 50 for the MW: #11 SDSU, #17 Fresno State,  #28 Wyoming, #36 Air Force, #44 Utah State and #46 Boise State  while the  Pac 12 (!) has FIVE teams ranked  #15 Washington , #16 Cal,  #19 Utah, # 20 Washington State. and #48 USC

@fanhood  You should focus on the fact that there are more MW teams in total defense than Pac 12 teams rather than the obvious fact that you have more good defenses than the American.  It's a much closer on the field comparison - especially this year.

11 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

If 9-1 Cincy goes on the road to beat #11/12 UCF I would expect them to make a big jump in the polls...

Of course they would but from any power index perspective beating Boise on the road and Fresno at home are both  relatively equal or better wins.  Style points will matter here.  If USU had a couple Wyoming type victories where the offense's reputation takes a hit that will hurt.  It would be a travesty in any event if they got the bid and would call into questions Wells good sportsmanship.   The Aggies could have easily had 4-5 70 point victories if they hadn't shut down the tempo halfway through the 2nd and pulled the starters after the first 3rd quarter drive.  Meanwhile Cincy has struggled or been ho hum against some below average teams.

26 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

With respect to the OP, Cincinatti plays defense - they are currently #6 in the NCAA ranking  https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22  Of the top 50 NCAA teams in Total Defense, currently the Bearcats are the only American team that makes the list.  The rankings are aggregate game statistics so arguably they would be inflated by playing weaker opponents but UCF's absence weights against that criticism.

Currently there are SIX teams ranked in the top 50 for the MW: #11 SDSU, #17 Fresno State,  #28 Wyoming, #36 Air Force, #44 Utah State and #46 Boise State  while the  Pac 12 (!) has FIVE teams ranked  #15 Washington , #16 Cal,  #19 Utah, # 20 Washington State. and #48 USC

@fanhood  You should focus on the fact that there are more MW teams in total defense than Pac 12 teams rather than the obvious fact that you have more good defenses than the American.  It's a much closer on the field comparison - especially this year.

Once again my point about comparing these teams.  First of all total defense doesn't come close to telling the story with USU.  They give up a big pass play even with the 1s here and there but they more than make up for it by leading the country in TOs created, non-offensive scoring, and 3 and outs.  Second the total offense and the ppg would be relatively similar if they were playing grind out close games against soft opponents rather than having their starters out halfway through the 3rd against the same sucky opponents.

Just looking back I think almost 1/2 of the points scored on them have been against the 2nd-3rd team defense with at least a 4 score lead and they still only gave up 22 points a game compared to Cincy's 14.

I will give them one thing  They shut out Navy and the Aggies struggled a bit against the pitch on the triple against AFA, and Michigan State beat them by running the speed option pitch twice in the 4th quarter.  Other than that I'd take the Aggie D any day.

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Tulane would beat SJSU by 2 touchdowns this season...plus they have a nicer, newer stadium to go along with a 1.31 billion dollar endowment.

I'd also take Tulane over SJSU in hoops.

So they’re the glitter in the steaming pile of dung?  Got it.  At least they have a ‘nice’ stadium and all.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

It wasn't that Tulane was an "insult", it was the lost opportunity to invite at least two additional western partners for SDSU and Boise State to help with regional play (both in a "fan interest" sense and also for travel).  Instead of entertaining two additional western teams, the AAC opted to add Tulane quashing any hope of additional western teams.

It can't be proven, but IMO even with the money not being as big as was hyped, if two of Fresno, Air Force, BYU or any of the other western potentials had been added, BSU and SDSU would have stayed in the AAC. 

I don't think there's any doubt of it.

The Aresco Athletic Conference had a chance to not only elevate its own brand but significantly diminish the MWC's brand but blew it big time with the addition of Too-lame.

Back on topic, no MWC team is capable of coming close to matching the speed of UCF. Given the extent to which UCF has been on a football roll and the size of its student population, that school has cemented an offer from the B12 whenever it decides to expand and if said expansion is by only two, you have to think Cincinnati would leave the AAC as well since WVU is so adamant about no longer being an outlier.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

no G5 will ever make the playoff...get mad all you like but the P6 thing is nothing but smart marketing...the fact you're sitting here bringing it up proves the point.

Somebody thought New Coke was smart marketing, too. 

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't think there's any doubt of it.

The Aresco Athletic Conference had a chance to not only elevate its own brand but significantly diminish the MWC's brand but blew it big time with the addition of Too-lame.

Back on topic, no MWC team is capable of coming close to matching the speed of UCF. Given the extent to which UCF has been on a football roll and the size of its student population, that school has cemented an offer from the B12 whenever it decides to expand and if said expansion is by only two, you have to think Cincinnati would leave the AAC as well since WVU is so adamant about no longer being an outlier.

we'll have status quo until 2025 when the TV deals end...then I have a feeling the Big 12 will be looking for more like 4 members

mem skyline sig.jpeg