fanhood

Top Teams in the American.

9 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

He's telling the truth, silly Memes aside. Perception is reality and Georgia tech has bigger name brand recognition than Utah State. It is the sad truth.

I wasn’t comparing GT and USU perception. I’m saying GT isn’t Georgia or Auburn or LSU etc.

10 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

'perception is reality'

You are correct. Perception is reality. The perception is that AAC teams play ZERO defense, and that is definitely reality.

I don't think there's much question as to which league has the better top teams, didn't the Aztecs curb stomp Houston last year? but of course, none of our teams have played that national champion. :rolleyes:

there are good teams in both, they're actually pretty evenly matched.

8 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

Tulane=SJSU?

Tulane/Tulsa vs SDSU/BSU was their choice.  Tulane in the West was a bit more than BSU wanted in a “best of the rest” type gig.  BSU plays teams like that closer to home in California.  

Posted Image

11 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

Tulane=SJSU?

Tulane would beat SJSU by 2 touchdowns this season...plus they have a nicer, newer stadium to go along with a 1.31 billion dollar endowment.

I'd also take Tulane over SJSU in hoops.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

I think people are forgetting that the Big East turned down a $11 million per school per year deal anticipating more.  Boise State and SDSU were invited by the Big East anticipating significantly better money but then it became clear the American would not get compensaton for their media rights close to what the conference turned down when they were the Big East.  Boise and SDSU could not make the change in conference affiliation based on the actual economics. 

This whole "Tulane being invited as full member was an insult" is plausible but overlooks that Tulane is an AAU school with a multi billion dollar endowment. Neither Tulsa and SMU are in Tulane's academic category; only Rice is.  Getting upset about Tulane is like getting upset about Stanford or Duke - they are an elite institution.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

I think people are forgetting that the Big East turned down a $11 million per school per year deal anticipating more.  Boise State and SDSU were invited by the Big East anticipating significantly better money but then it became clear the American would not get compensaton for their media rights close to what the conference turned down when they were the Big East.  Boise and SDSU could not make the change in conference affiliation based on the actual economics. 

This whole "Tulane being invited as full member was an insult" is plausible but overlooks that Tulane is an AAU school with a multi billion dollar endowment. Neither Tulsa and SMU are in Tulane's academic category; only Rice is.  Getting upset about Tulane is like getting upset about Stanford or Duke - they are an elite institution.

It wasn't that Tulane was an "insult", it was the lost opportunity to invite at least two additional western partners for SDSU and Boise State to help with regional play (both in a "fan interest" sense and also for travel).  Instead of entertaining two additional western teams, the AAC opted to add Tulane quashing any hope of additional western teams.

It can't be proven, but IMO even with the money not being as big as was hyped, if two of Fresno, Air Force, BYU or any of the other western potentials had been added, BSU and SDSU would have stayed in the AAC. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

It wasn't that Tulane was an "insult", it was the lost opportunity to invite at least two additional western partners for SDSU and Boise State to help with regional play (both in a "fan interest" sense and also for travel).  Instead of entertaining two additional western teams, the AAC opted to add Tulane quashing any hope of additional western teams.

It can't be proven, but IMO even with the money not being as big as was hyped, if two of Fresno, Air Force, BYU or any of the other western potentials had been added, BSU and SDSU would have stayed in the AAC. 

@Bruininthebay, not only this, but Tulane indirectly deprived the Big West of two former members (Boise and SDSU) and a mystery 12th member.  Had Fresno made the AAC move it would have been them.   Denver and Seattle were mentioned as possibilities too.   

Tulane's addition caused the BW to settle for roadkill, I mean Cal State Bakersfield. I dislike Tulane even more now. 

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Tulane would beat SJSU by 2 touchdowns this season...plus they have a nicer, newer stadium to go along with a 1.31 billion dollar endowment.

I'd also take Tulane over SJSU in hoops.

And where would you rather party, New Orleans or San Jose?

Guest #1Stunner

I think if some of the MWC schools had more fan support and fan interest, they would get more national attention.

The AAC has more schools that have a larger fan following.

Guest #1Stunner
18 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

He's telling the truth, silly Memes aside. Perception is reality and Georgia tech has bigger name brand recognition than Utah State. It is the sad truth.

The problem USU has is that their fan following is so small, and doesn't care (unless USU is playing BYU).

They played their final home game of the season this past weekend, and were ranked 14th.   They didn't even sell out and the game was not televised.  Official attendance: 19,017 (Maverik stadium capacity is 25,100).

Now, compare that to UCF who also played at home last weekend.  Attendance at UCF was 44,738 (stadium capacity is 44,206).

It's pretty clear that the AAC's top schools have larger followings.   If you have more fan support, the media is going to default in your favor (over a small school).

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

^ So Aresco hated/s Boise State and San Diego State?  

no, he hates Westward expansion...he had to be drug kicking and screaming to the idea of adding WSU as a non-football member.

it's no about Boise/SDSU...it's about two differing philosophies 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Exactly. That's why a undefeated team the last two years from the aac isn't in the playoff top 10. Lol P6 

no G5 will ever make the playoff...get mad all you like but the P6 thing is nothing but smart marketing...the fact you're sitting here bringing it up proves the point.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

get mad all you like but the P6 thing is nothing but smart marketing...the fact you're sitting here bringing it up proves the point.

You guys are the only ones who don’t hear the rest of us laughing at you.