Headbutt

CSU at Nevada game thread.

I fell asleep and missed most of the 2nd half, but I can pretty much tell you how we lost.  Sadly, firing Bobo isn't going to fix the problem.  It's a hell of a start though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

CSU didn't give a RATS ASS about this game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there - everyone left at halftime!

I stayed the entire game 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I fell asleep and missed most of the 2nd half, but I can pretty much tell you how we lost.  Sadly, firing Bobo isn't going to fix the problem.  It's a hell of a start though.

I don't see any way Bobo doesn't get fired at this point. 

4 hours ago, AKram said:

8,000,000 reasons. 

Actually, I read a post earlier in which it was pointed out that you can tell him today that he'll be fired on 1/1/19 and start moving on from there.  On Jan. 1, it drops to $5.5 million.  He's a top notch OC and will be working in the SEC as soon as his health allows.  Since the buyout is supposedly spread out over 5 years, and is reduced by any coaching salary he receives during that time...this might just be doable.  Letting him know our plans now would cause a lot of personnel issues (coaches and players), but the down side would probably be outweighed by the positive of being able to start the coaching search immediately.  Recruiting would take a dump, but it's not apparent that he's got anything going on there anyway, at least as far as the "experts" are aware.

3 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Actually, I read a post earlier in which it was pointed out that you can tell him today that he'll be fired on 1/1/19 and start moving on from there.  On Jan. 1, it drops to $5.5 million.  He's a top notch OC and will be working in the SEC as soon as his health allows.  Since the buyout is supposedly spread out over 5 years, and is reduced by any coaching salary he receives during that time...this might just be doable.  Letting him know our plans now would cause a lot of personnel issues (coaches and players), but the down side would probably be outweighed by the positive of being able to start the coaching search immediately.  Recruiting would take a dump, but it's not apparent that he's got anything going on there anyway, at least as far as the "experts" are aware.

5.5 million is not chump change just to say goodbye. I can't see Joe Parker admitting he screwed up this one; it took him forever to admit the b-ball program was a mess. And I don't see a donor willing to pay this out, either. I agree that Bobo is a good OC and that he'll be back in charge of a quality offense just as fast as he's let go by CSU. As to recruiting, I think I saw somewhere that there are 3 commitments right now. As the team falters, as the coaches yell and scream and appearances are that the team has quit on the coaches, I don't see that number rising anytime soon so firing Bobo now flat out, at the end of the season, giving him the word and then doing so on 1/1/19 really won't matter to this recruiting class. I just don't see recruits clamoring to join the mess that is CSU. The new coach, if there is to be one, will just have to work with the smoking wreckage left behind, and hope to motivate them into a .500 team so they can get their recruits the next year. 

CSU guys, I feel your pain. I have a few comments:

1. I’ve always loved the traditional green and gold ram helmets. Whoever came up with the idea that those white helmets with a shopped up snail on them should be reassigned to something else. Those are so bland and boring. 

2. I think everyone in the conference should start using Knuth’s type of HC contract, especially for new unproven coaches. Go with a low base but stack it up tall with incentives to win. Tie a huge part of the bonuses to attendance. Give the coach a % of tickets sold and max out at $500k to 700k. If his bonus is big, you can afford pay him in the black because you benefited from the big attendance, as well.  Bottom line, A coach with a yearly base of $750k is a lot easier to dump than one that’s guaranteed $1.5 million. 

3. Bobo has recruited extremely well. When that never translates to the field, you’ve got the Polian Syndrome. Time to get a staff that can develop players. Norvell’s staff has been great developing the kids and it’s such a night and day comparison with Polian. 

kat.jpg

45 minutes ago, AKram said:

5.5 million is not chump change just to say goodbye. I can't see Joe Parker admitting he screwed up this one; it took him forever to admit the b-ball program was a mess. And I don't see a donor willing to pay this out, either. I agree that Bobo is a good OC and that he'll be back in charge of a quality offense just as fast as he's let go by CSU. As to recruiting, I think I saw somewhere that there are 3 commitments right now. As the team falters, as the coaches yell and scream and appearances are that the team has quit on the coaches, I don't see that number rising anytime soon so firing Bobo now flat out, at the end of the season, giving him the word and then doing so on 1/1/19 really won't matter to this recruiting class. I just don't see recruits clamoring to join the mess that is CSU. The new coach, if there is to be one, will just have to work with the smoking wreckage left behind, and hope to motivate them into a .500 team so they can get their recruits the next year. 

Parker had no part in the BB program mess other than fixing it.  LE was hired by his predecessor with a much tighter contract than Bobo has.  Parker's only major sin here wasn't extending Bobo, it was the ridiculous buyout that he agreed to.  As for recruiting, I'm not feeling good  but I am wait and see.  Bobo has mentioned that he has a strategy this year.  If he signs  a five star, 3 four stars and 8 three stars in the early period I'm going to rethink my position.  I'm not seeing that.  Back to Parker, he's been a Godsend at CSU, and will find the right path out of this problem.  I trust the guy, he's done well other than the buyout part of Bobo's contract.

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Parker had no part in the BB program mess other than fixing it.  LE was hired by his predecessor with a much tighter contract than Bobo has.  Parker's only major sin here wasn't extending Bobo, it was the ridiculous buyout that he agreed to.  As for recruiting, I'm not feeling good  but I am wait and see.  Bobo has mentioned that he has a strategy this year.  If he signs  a five star, 3 four stars and 8 three stars in the early period I'm going to rethink my position.  I'm not seeing that.  Back to Parker, he's been a Godsend at CSU, and will find the right path out of this problem.  I trust the guy, he's done well other than the buyout part of Bobo's contract.

I'm not a throw Parker under the bus guy. Though I don't follow b-ball at all (college or professional) I do think that Medved was the perfect hire culture-wise for CSU. I know that Eustachy wasn't Parker's hiring, but it took so long for Parker to step up in a seemingly awful situation to finally end the Eustachy era. That's why I'm not sure that he'll bite the bullet, admit his fault, and try to fix it. Whatever that solution happens to be. 

I agree to the wait and see. While fans watch the recruiting months, future players watch the season. If I'm a player, I'm not really interested in looking all too hard at CSU right now no matter the platitudes they throw while visiting me at my house. 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 with all bowl losses (and hardly a win against "rivals") and then to go no better than 4-8. This doesn't yell, "Come play for us in our new shiny stadium!" No matter how Bobo tries to spin his health, new staff, etc. I said it last year watching Marty English's wretched defense and I'll say it this year with both sides of the ball: How can kids who supposedly learned the fundamentals of football in club and high school completely lose those fundamentals playing for Mike Bobo? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKram said:

I'm not a throw Parker under the bus guy. Though I don't follow b-ball at all (college or professional) I do think that Medved was the perfect hire culture-wise for CSU. I know that Eustachy wasn't Parker's hiring, but it took so long for Parker to step up in a seemingly awful situation to finally end the Eustachy era. That's why I'm not sure that he'll bite the bullet, admit his fault, and try to fix it. Whatever that solution happens to be. 

I agree to the wait and see. While fans watch the recruiting months, future players watch the season. If I'm a player, I'm not really interested in looking all too hard at CSU right now no matter the platitudes they throw while visiting me at my house. 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 with all bowl losses (and hardly a win against "rivals") and then to go no better than 4-8. This doesn't yell, "Come play for us in our new shiny stadium!" No matter how Bobo tries to spin his health, new staff, etc. I said it last year watching Marty English's wretched defense and I'll say it this year with both sides of the ball: How can kids who supposedly learned the fundamentals of football in club and high school completely lose those fundamentals playing for Mike Bobo? 

You guys have a lot of short term thinking. Bill McCartney was terrible his first 5-6 years at CU before they started being competitive. You guys don't have the money or alumni support to dump that kind of cash. Bobo just needs a couple of new assistants to turn this thing around. Look at what Nevada did by hiring a "washed up" coach like Casteel". 2 years later, we have the best defense at Nevada that I remember outside the 2010 team. And getting better. I just hope we can afford to keep Casteel.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, mugtang said:

I’m hanging out with @GoState99755.  He’s a good dude. 

@mugtang - Thank you for the phenomenal hospitality!!!  Thanks to you I had a very enjoyable evening, despite the embarrassing performance by my Rammies.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, Headbutt said:

Meh, he stood me up at the New Mexico Bowl.  I guess you're more important.

Sorry buddy, I got distracted as soon as my lady-friend showed up in The ABQ.  I'm looking frwd to buying you a beer nxt time.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

You guys have a lot of short term thinking. Bill McCartney was terrible his first 5-6 years at CU before they started being competitive. You guys don't have the money or alumni support to dump that kind of cash. Bobo just needs a couple of new assistants to turn this thing around. Look at what Nevada did by hiring a "washed up" coach like Casteel". 2 years later, we have the best defense at Nevada that I remember outside the 2010 team. And getting better. I just hope we can afford to keep Casteel.

Couple new assistants? This is his second crew of assistants. He basically cleaned house at the end of last season. I get that fixing Marty English's reign of terror is no easy task, but Jancek's defense seems like it got slightly worse. A new special teams coach, and that aspect of the game is not that great. 

How many more new assistants does Bobo need to right the ship?