Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Huge Wildfires In California

29 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. Because I"m sure the Pasadena Fire Dept. knows what is best for managing Northern California timberland. 

Hilarious.

But Trump and you do, of course.

20 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Hilarious.

But Trump and you do, of course.

I studied forestry and botany for a couple years. I actually have a botany undergrad degree. Also spent a ton of time in Northern California with logging people, fire personnel, and others. And grew up on a ranch so I'm familiar with good land management practices. So I like to think I know a little bit about it. 

11 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

County and Local Regulations derive their power from the state Constitution. They're all part of the same apparatus. It's obtuse to suggest otherwise. 

My post was generally directed at the forest fire problems of Northern California. As far as the chaparral goes, you still have to manage deserts/grasslands. What we are seeing there is just another failure on the part of the California environmental authorities. That and a lack of personal responsibility; people shouldn't build their houses in risky areas then howl when something bad happens to them. It's hard to have any sympathy for those people.  

Yeah then I guess California should stop paying for everyone living on the coast in the east.   It’s all political and you know it.

59 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Not a lot of Forests in Malibu Joe. 

As I said earlier I was speaking more toward the Paradise Fire. 

I'll reiterate what I also said when that was pointed out by Old SD Dude, that I have no sympathy for people who build in fire prone areas and lose everything as a result. They should cut off insurance coverage. 

As far as cutting it off on the East Coast, I'm fine with that too. People should build at their own risk when they build in risky or disaster prone areas, and should take precautions when building to comply with standards appropriate for that area, and all the rest of us shouldn't be on the hook for it. I"m even for allowing claims once every 10-15 years ago for the same property and a natural disaster, but not every year. 

On a kind of related note, I was just looking at land for sale in Placer County up by Gold Run since I want to build a cabin someplace after I graduate on account of the fact that I got hired for my first post-law school job and the fact that I love the Sierras. But honestly, I really have kind of written it off given the fire conditions that exist in the Sierras right now. I can just envision building some kind of elaborate glass or adobe house, and watching it go up in flames on the News as I sit halfway across the country unable to do anything about it. 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I'll reiterate what I also said when that was pointed out by Old SD Dude, that I have no sympathy for people who build in fire prone areas and lose everything as a result. They should cut off insurance coverage. 

As far as cutting it off on the East Coast, I'm fine with that too. People should build at their own risk when they build in risky or disaster prone areas, and should take precautions when building to comply with standards appropriate for that area, and all the rest of us shouldn't be on the hook for it. I"m even for allowing claims once every 10-15 years ago for the same property and a natural disaster, but not every year. 

On a kind of related note, I was just looking at land for sale in Placer County up by Gold Run since I want to build a cabin someplace after I graduate on account of the fact that I got hired for my first post-law school job and the fact that I love the Sierras. But honestly, I really have kind of written it off given the fire conditions that exist in the Sierras right now. I can just envision building some kind of elaborate glass or adobe house, and watching it go up in flames on the News as I sit halfway across the country unable to do anything about it. 

Lots of area in the Sierras and I agree that people should bear their own risk.  Disaster relief however is helping people who have been displaced.  That should happen regardless what the POS in the Oval Office says.   

The Santa Ana winds calmed some today which helped the firefighters in SoCal. But those winds are supposed to pick up again tomorrow. God bless all the firefighters working the Camp and Woolsey fires! 

18 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Lots of area in the Sierras and I agree that people should bear their own risk.  Disaster relief however is helping people who have been displaced.  That should happen regardless what the POS in the Oval Office says.   

Yeah I don't have a problem with disaster relief. It's the insurance issues that bother me. 

Regarding the NorCal fires from today’s LA Times:

Experts have also said forest management was not a factor in California’s two most destructive fires: the Camp, which burned more than 6,000 structures this week in Paradise, and the Tubbs fire last year in wine country.

Forest thinning would not have stopped the Camp or the Tubbs. Fueled by dry grass growing amid scattered pine and oak trees, the Camp tore across land thinned by flames just 10 years ago. The Tubbs burned grassy oak woodlands, not timber land.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah I don't have a problem with disaster relief. It's the insurance issues that bother me. 

You do know fire insurance isn’t subsidized.  If you are worried about insurance issues you should look at federal flood insurance for people building on barrier islands.   That program is the real boondoggle.   

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Regarding the NorCal fires from today’s LA Times:

Experts have also said forest management was not a factor in California’s two most destructive fires: the Camp, which burned more than 6,000 structures this week in Paradise, and the Tubbs fire last year in wine country.

Forest thinning would not have stopped the Camp or the Tubbs. Fueled by dry grass growing amid scattered pine and oak trees, the Camp tore across land thinned by flames just 10 years ago. The Tubbs burned grassy oak woodlands, not timber land.

Yep very wet springs, parched summers and high winds out of the Sierra’s are a recipe for disaster.    The faster we can move to solar with battery backup the better.   That way transmission lines can be shut off when high winds occur but power can still be generated.   

As of 10:00 am today, Sunday Nov. 11th -

Camp fire in Butte county has now burned more than 110,00 acres. 

Woolsey fire in Ventura and Los Angeles counties has consumed upwards of 83,000 acres. 

25 confirmed deaths so far, and several thousand homes and other structures (so many that they haven't been able to keep an accurate count) have been lost between the two wildfires. The entire town of Paradise is basically gone. :(

Full containment of these fires isn't expected until Thanksgiving. 

wine_country_wildfires_santa_rosa_100917_02.jpg?w=720

What was once the town of Paradise destroyed by the Camp fire in Northern California. 

Woolsey Fire smoke plume and evacuation

Evacuations from the Woolsey fire in the Malibu area of Southern California.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Joe from WY said:

Like it or not, he's right. The huge fires are a direct result of the state's failure to manage the forests in an appropriate and coherent fashion. 

But why didn't he criticize the failure of the Wyoming government to manage its forests before all those fires this past September?

44 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Where are all these people going to live?

All the people displaced in the various disasters? Most of these places have housing shortages.......

A very large percentage of the former residents of Paradise are retired and living on a fixed income while drawing down any retirement savings. Going to be difficult for many to find new housing.  Some will probably wind up permanently homeless.

20 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

But why didn't he criticize the failure of the Wyoming government to manage its forests before all those fires this past September?

Or building in flood prone areas leaving people vulnerable to hurricanes. Over and over again.

Cali didn't vote for him so they aren't his people. So he lashes out. It's a big hit with his base, they love it. It's about scoring points because it's all a game.

A persons true character shines through when dealing with crises and difficulties. No one should be surprised by who he really is and his complete lack of empathy or considerstion.

One of the Final Five..........

17 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I will say to your point (and not Trump’s point) both Paradise and Malibu are in extremely high risk fire areas.  

Paradise is situated in wooded Canyon areas that funnel high winds directly towards the town.   It’s not forest management because they almost lost the whole town in 2008.   In fact, they had a fairly advanced fire emergency plan.   

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221420275.html

Malibu is also situated in an area known for repeat fires.   As summer droughts intensify people are going to have to create proactive plans to reduce the fire risk.   

2 hours ago, sandiegopete said:

Because we piss excellence in Wyoming.