badfish

Uh oh, BYU BB

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Why does it cast the school in a bad light?  The school did nothing wrong.

A player did this without the school's knowledge.  When the school found out about it, it self reported to the NCAA, and Implemented a punishment.

I think you might be thinking if schools / coaches that are actively participating in cheating.  Like North Carolina or Baylor

It casts the school in a bad light in every mind but your own I guess.

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

It casts the school in a bad light in every mind but your own I guess.

BYU's player, Emery, accepted about $12,000 from a booster, according to the report.   BYU did something about it on its own (scholarship reduction, suspending the player).   The NCAA then vacated wins for 2 seasons.

The other big school in the State, Utah, has a player that accepted $10,000.   And hasn't done anything.   

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2018/02/23/report-former-ute-kyle-kuzma-received-9-500-while-playing-college/367463002/

So, you are saying that it is better to do nothing about NCAA violations, so that there is no national press?   Maybe BYU should be like North Carolina, Louisville, and other schools that do nothing?  That way the "school" wouldn't be cast in a bad light, right?

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU's player, Emery, accepted about $12,000 from a booster, according to the report.   BYU did something about it on its own (scholarship reduction, suspending the player).   The NCAA then vacated wins for 2 seasons.

The other big school in the State, Utah, has a player that accepted $10,000.   And hasn't done anything.   

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2018/02/23/report-former-ute-kyle-kuzma-received-9-500-while-playing-college/367463002/

So, you are saying that it is better to do nothing about NCAA violations, so that there is no national press?   Maybe BYU should be like North Carolina and other schools that do nothing?  That way the "school" wouldn't be cast in a bad light, right?

I am saying that when a player does something like this, it casts the school in a bad light. I've said it three times. I'm not sure what you are misinterpreting about this.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Spot50B said:

I am saying that when a player does something like this, it casts the school in a bad light. I've said it three times. I'm not sure what you are misinterpreting about this.

It's a dumb take, sorry.

If a player screws up without the school or coaches participating, the school is only "in a bad light" if they cover it up, or are a part of the problem.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, Bruininthebay said:

I guess he just didn't develop as projected.  I haven't noticed any ability of BYU to defend the perimeter over the past two seasons and I presume you can only get that highly rated if you can defend individually.

Not that Emery is an elite perimeter defender or anything, but you wouldn't have seen it last season anyway since he took the year off.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, #1Stunner said:

It's a dumb take, sorry.

If a player screws up without the school or coaches participating, the school is only "in a bad light" if they cover it up, or are a part of the problem.

But they were part of the problem. Or was someone else responsible for providing boosters access to the locker room?

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, #1Stunner said:

So, you are saying that it is better to do nothing about NCAA violations, so that there is no national press?   Maybe BYU should be like North Carolina, Louisville, and other schools that do nothing?  That way the "school" wouldn't be cast in a bad light, right?

Kyle Kuzma is alleged to have received $9500 from an agent (not from a booster or from a coach or the school).  Initially they approached Larry K and requested 50k to initially sign him, but Larry said no. But they were able to get him to sign anyway.  Kuzma has claimed he never took the $9500, but I have my doubts.  So far his name has only been linked after it appeared on a list, and he claims it's not true.  Until more comes out. I'm not sure what Utah is supposed to do?

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Kyle Kuzma is alleged to have received $9500 from an agent (not from a booster or from a coach or the school).  Initially they approached Larry K and requested 50k to initially sign him, but Larry said no. But they were able to get him to sign anyway.  Kuzma has claimed he never took the $9500, but I have my doubts.  So far his name has only been linked after it appeared on a list, and he claims it's not true.  Until more comes out. I'm not sure what Utah is supposed to do?

It's pretty likely that Kuzma accepted the money.   Yahoo had a pretty good investigation on it (probably better than what the NCAA does).

I don't blame Utah---it's not their fault that a player went rogue.   It's not like Utah was secretly throwing money to a player.  Guy did it on is own.

But what are you going to do?  NCAA says that schools that have guys who go rogue are still to blame, and have to be punished.   Similar situation at BYU (Emery went rogue, and so the school is punished).

I guess Utah can only do one of 2 things  (1) absolutely nothing, (2) do an investigation and ask for the information that Yahoo found.   Right now it looks like Utah is doing nothing (not sure if that's true or not).   That's probably a smart idea if you want to avoid headlines and NCAA punishments.  

It's too bad the NCAA doesn't ever punish real cheaters like UNC, Arizona, and Louisville.

15 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It's pretty likely that Kuzma accepted the money.   Yahoo had a pretty good investigation on it (probably better than what the NCAA does).

I don't blame Utah---it's not their fault that a player went rogue.   It's not like Utah was secretly throwing money to a player.  Guy did it on is own.

But what are you going to do?  NCAA says that schools that have guys who go rogue are still to blame, and have to be punished.   Similar situation at BYU (Emery went rogue, and so the school is punished).

I guess Utah can only do one of 2 things  (1) absolutely nothing, (2) do an investigation and ask for the information that Yahoo found.   Right now it looks like Utah is doing nothing (not sure if that's true or not).   That's probably a smart idea if you want to avoid headlines and NCAA punishments.  

It's too bad the NCAA doesn't ever punish real cheaters like UNC, Arizona, and Louisville.

I see a difference in an agent giving a player money versus a booster with access to a locker room dropping off cash.  They are both cheating, but one is clearly more damaging to a program IMO and us why I believe the punishment was so harsh.  And BYU will always be over scrutinized because of its religious affiliation.  You might not think it hurts BYU's reputation but 9 out of 10 people will simply read the headlines that BYU was caught cheating and that's all they will know.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, #1Stunner said:

It's a dumb take, sorry.

So this booster just broke into the locker room and stuck $200 in Emery's locker? Or any rando is allowed to go into the BYU locker room on game days and just open the lockers of random players? Or is it possible that BYU/Rose knew what was going on but needed to maintain some level of plausible deniability? My guess is that this is the reason why BYU had to vacate the wins. They couldn't prove that Dave Rose knew about this, but if boosters are going into the locker room and leaving cash for players, either Rose knew or he at least should have known.

But seriously, WTF is going on with this entire story? Why did four different boosters spend all this money on a player who signed with BYU when he was in diapers anyway? If you want to cheat to sign a 5-star player who otherwise never would have considered BYU, that's one thing. But why on earth do you cheat to benefit a player that was always coming to BYU no matter what? When I first heard about this, I just assumed that this Tyndall guy was Emery's secret gay lover/sugar daddy. (I'm serious. It would explain the divorce. It would explain why his ex-wife was upset enough to rat him out to the NCAA. It would explain why he spent $10,000 on a player who was always committed to BYU. It would explain an awful lot.) But now that it has come out that there were other boosts giving him stuff, I don't know what to think. I still have to wonder if Emery signed up for a gay sugar daddy site or something. Because I'm still struggling to understand why multiple BYU boosters would spend so much money and risk the wrath of the NCAA on a player who was always going to come to BYU.

Guest #1Stunner
41 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I see a difference in an agent giving a player money versus a booster with access to a locker room dropping off cash.  They are both cheating, but one is clearly more damaging to a program IMO and us why I believe the punishment was so harsh.  And BYU will always be over scrutinized because of its religious affiliation.  You might not think it hurts BYU's reputation but 9 out of 10 people will simply read the headlines that BYU was caught cheating and that's all they will know.

The odd thing with this is that the rules are to prevent boosters from throwing money around as a "recruiting" tool.  Does anyone think that Emery was ever not going to go to BYU?  Plus supposedlybhis family is wealthy and he wasn't hurting for money.

Odd thing.

Regardless.  Lesson remains.  Do not cooperate or ever self report like BYU did and you can avoid penalties and bad headlines.

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

So this booster just broke into the locker room and stuck $200 in Emery's locker? Or any rando is allowed to go into the BYU locker room on game days and just open the lockers of random players? Or is it possible that BYU/Rose knew what was going on but needed to maintain some level of plausible deniability? My guess is that this is the reason why BYU had to vacate the wins. They couldn't prove that Dave Rose knew about this, but if boosters are going into the locker room and leaving cash for players, either Rose knew or he at least should have known.

But seriously, WTF is going on with this entire story? Why did four different boosters spend all this money on a player who signed with BYU when he was in diapers anyway? If you want to cheat to sign a 5-star player who otherwise never would have considered BYU, that's one thing. But why on earth do you cheat to benefit a player that was always coming to BYU no matter what? When I first heard about this, I just assumed that this Tyndall guy was Emery's secret gay lover/sugar daddy. (I'm serious. It would explain the divorce. It would explain why his ex-wife was upset enough to rat him out to the NCAA. It would explain why he spent $10,000 on a player who was always committed to BYU. It would explain an awful lot.) But now that it has come out that there were other boosts giving him stuff, I don't know what to think. I still have to wonder if Emery signed up for a gay sugar daddy site or something. Because I'm still struggling to understand why multiple BYU boosters would spend so much money and risk the wrath of the NCAA on a player who was always going to come to BYU.

TL/DR

Call me when UNC gets punished by the NCAA for real cheating.

Also, give it a rest about you pushing the narrative that Emery is gay.   It's lame.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The odd thing with this is that the rules are to prevent boosters from throwing money around as a "recruiting" tool.  Does anyone think that Emery was ever not going to go to BYU?  Plus supposedlybhis family is wealthy and he wasn't hurting for money.

Odd thing.

Regardless.  Lesson remains.  Do not cooperate or ever self report like BYU did and you can avoid penalties and bad headlines.

Maybe his family cut him off when they found out he was gay?

52 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

There's no doubt it's unfair. UNC should have had a couple season post season ban.  It really has soured college basketball.  

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, jackmormon said:

Maybe his family cut him off when they found out he was gay?

Emery has only ever said that he is in a 3 way gay relationship with a Stats Prof, and a guy who lives in Logan and posts his BYU website information on the BYU Cougarboard.

Emery has always looked gay, I guess.  The other 2  might be flaming homosexuals as well.   I guess they've found happiness.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

There's no doubt it's unfair. UNC should have had a couple season post season ban.  It really has soured college basketball.  

I agree.  

The BYU punishment isn't really a big deal.  Just a headline.

But it is frustrating that schools like Arizona and UNC pay real money to recruits and cheat academically.   No punishment.  Arizona has cheated for years.

That said, at least college basketball has a real playoff.

2 hours ago, Pelado said:

Not that Emery is an elite perimeter defender or anything, but you wouldn't have seen it last season anyway since he took the year off.

I was aware of that.   BYU finished no higher than third in the WCC the past three seasons.  St. Mary's guards have clearly been better than BYU's  for at least that past three seasons if not the entire WCC run. ( I believe Jimmer played in the Mountain West.)

On paper BYU should be a rival for Gonzaga and could still reach that level.  In actuality weak guard play has been the reason for third place finishes and other WCC teams have starter to supplant BYU.