crixus

Mass Shooting In Thousand Oaks

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Universal background checks, yes. Closing private transaction loopholes, yes. Mandatory educational courses, yes. Capacity bans, no. Semi-auto bans, no. Willy nilly red flag laws, no. 

Well that is more than "thoughts and prayers."  It would be great if we could also fund mental health more extensively.  That isn't just an issue related to guns.  

Posted Image

25 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Don't you think he could have killed a lot more if he didn't have to change mags 3 times?

13 wasn't enough for you? GTFOH, magazine capacity is a bullshit talking point you Commies use all the time. This incident just blew that narrative out of the water.

• Like 3

Just now, sean327 said:

13 wasn't enough for you? GTFOH, magazine capacity is a bullshit talking point you Commies use all the time. This incident just blew that narrative out of the water.

He only fired 30 shots, compared to the 100+ we hear in a lot of other shootings.  The difference is this guy knew what he was doing.  Most mass shooters have terrible kill rates. (shots hit/shots fired).

I honestly don't know, but I also don't think the data agrees with the argument you're trying to make either.

28 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The mag capacity argument is so +++++ing stupid. If you know what you're doing, you can change a mag in about 2 seconds. 

Less than two seconds. From slide lock to mag drop, to pulling new mag and inserting into the weapon can easily be done in 1 second. Once you get the muscle memory down it's not impossible to do it in just under a second.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

They do, the problem it always dies when discussing the implementation. (Cost, length of time, privacy issues, etc.)

All the legislation that has ever been proposed at the Federal level is pretty much in place in CA.

This specific incident is not one that bolsters the case of increased gun control legislation.  There have been others that in my opinion do, but not this one.

This guy had to go through a background check, had to go through the waiting period, and used a .45 handgun in the state with the most stringent gun control laws in the country.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

It does, but the majority of these shooting aren't being done by veterans. Worrying about them commiting these acts is like worrying about getting eaten by a shark while wading the Rio Grande.

Yes the VA sucks big time with mental health care, but there are thousands of organizations and groups out there that do a great job reaching out to guys in trouble. I belong to a few groups where all a guy has to do is dial a number and he can talk to someone instantly. The USMC veterans groups on Facebook are unbelievable when it comes to talking to guys who think they have nowhere else to go. I don't understand why this Marine did this, all he had to do was reach out and thousands of his brothers would have been there to talk him down. I'm sick to my stomach that it was a brother Marine who did this. It didn't have to happen.

Some Vets can't admit they have a problem.  I think Vets that have seen combat should be more thoroughly debriefed when they leave the military.  However, the 22 suicides a day are more troubling than one Vet becoming a mass shooter.

• Like 5

down in a hole.jpg

I just heard on KFI 640 news that number of people injured is up to 21. :( We all know by now that the shooter was a former Marine. I just heard that he was also a former student at Cal State Northridge (I don't know if that's been mentioned yet). 

39 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Some Vets can't admit they have a problem.  I think Vets that have seen combat should be more thoroughly debriefed when they leave the military.  However, the 22 suicides a day are more troubling than one Vet becoming a mass shooter.

A veteran who knew the killer mentioned on KFI 640 that it's not uncommon for a vet to sign up for VA counseling and then have to wait six months before the first session. The mental health system is a mess, especially the VA. 

• Like 3

I made the mistake of turning on the news when they were interviewing  a Dad who lost his Son.I lost a Son six years ago and the pain that Dad is feeling will never go away.  II's just hard to cope when this stuff keeps happening and you see family members pain. 

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, westfan said:

I made the mistake of turning on the news when they were interviewing  a Dad who lost his Son.I lost a Son six years ago and the pain that Dad is feeling will never go away.  II's just hard to cope when this stuff keeps happening and you see family members pain. 

I'm sorry for your loss and the pain that you endure. And I mean that sincerely. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crixus said:

A veteran who knew the killer mentioned on KFI 640 that it's not uncommon for a vet to sign up for VA counseling and then have to wait six months before the first session. The mental health system is a mess, especially the VA. 

And that's a tragic shame. Unbelievable that our country can't step up and help vets that struggle with these issues. 

• Like 4

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, westfan said:

I'm sorry man. There is no greater pain than losing a loved one who is that close to you. 

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Yet, we can come up with money for refugees and illegals but can't take care of our wounded who fought for this country!!!

• Like 1

down in a hole.jpg

While one Marine went off the rails and was taking lives, this Marine jumped in and saved lives.

https://tribunist.com/news/this-marine-survived-vegas-and-california-bar-shooting-saving-lives-in-the-process-video/

• Like 6

I would just like to thank @crixus, @SharkTanked, @Old_SD_Dude, and @Mano for taking the effort to have a constructive dialogue about this horrific event today. This is how the topic should be discussed rather than with the blatant accusatory finger pointing we’ve seen from from some others in the past. Again, thank you for being civil and rational.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I would just like to thank @crixus, @SharkTanked, @Old_SD_Dude, and @Mano for taking the effort to have a constructive dialogue about this horrific event today. This is how the topic should be discussed rather than with the blatant accusatory finger pointing we’ve seen from from some others in the past. Again, thank you for being civil and rational.

I’m telling you, every politician should read the mwcboard.  We solve quite a few problems here with reasonable solutions.  

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I’m telling you, every politician should read the mwcboard.  We solve quite a few problems here with reasonable solutions.  

An airing of grievances doesn't help advance the discussion in this situation. I'm at the point where I can agree to disagree on it and let it be.