mugtang

Anybody have a medical background here?

I have a question about elevated vitamin B12 levels.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I was a reserve Firefighter/EMT for many years, but we never studied vitamin levels. Sorry I can't help ya' bro. Hopefully there's a Paramedic or Doctor on the board.

Just now, Extra Mayo said:

I asked a medical person I know well oand the answer was "They're usually too low"

Mine have gone up 558 points since September and are sitting at 1488.  Since last December it’s up almost 1,000 points. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You likely can find some info on the net under elevated Vitamin B-12 levels? 

Yeah I self diagnosed myself with cancer, hepatitis and liver failure.  I’m dead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yeah I self diagnosed myself with cancer, hepatitis and liver failure.  I’m dead. 

RIP mug. The board is now mine.

See the source image

• Haha 1

Just now, mugtang said:

I read a few articles that said something like it can get stored in your blood and not reach its designated target. Good reason to see your doc and get a professional diagnosis. 

• Like 1

Just now, crixus said:

RIP mug. The board is now mine. 

My password is “password123”

Enjoy the board!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

I read a few articles that said something like it can get stored in your blood and not reach its designated target. Good reason to see your doc and get a professional diagnosis. 

I have an appointment Friday morning.  I’m sure it’s nothing and I’m freaking out over nothing. 

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Mine have gone up 558 points since September and are sitting at 1488.  Since last December it’s up almost 1,000 points. 

"100 to 950 is normal

Its a fasting test, so if you cheated and ate before then that'd throw it off.

If youre taking supplements, stop.

Get test on liver and kidneys"

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I have an appointment Friday morning.  I’m sure it’s nothing and I’m freaking out over nothing. 

You'll be fine. And if you ever want to ride on a Fire Engine just let me know. :rock:

See the source image

2 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

"100 to 950 is normal

Its a fasting test, so if you cheated and ate before then that'd throw it off.

If youre taking supplements, stop.

Get test on liver and kidneys"

Didn’t eat before hand.  I have to take supplements because of my bariatric surgery but I’ve been taking them for a year.  Have an appointment on Friday with my doctor.  

Thank the person you know for the info.  Confirms that I need to talk to them about my liver and kidneys. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Didn’t eat before hand.  I have to take supplements because of my bariatric surgery but I’ve been taking them for a year.  Have an appointment on Friday with my doctor.  

Thank the person you know for the info.  Confirms that I need to talk to them about my liver and kidneys. 

I was just kidding with you earlier, but I have a strong feeling that you'll be fine once you see a Doctor. Hang in there my friend. :thumbsup:

I'm a pharmacist. Cyanocobalamin (B12) is a regularly supplemented vitamin. Don't know the normal levels off the top of my head, but I can do some literature search today on my downtime if you have specific questions, or experiencing certain symptoms you're worried about.

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

My understanding of it based on the explanation given to me is the liver metabolizes the B12, and the kidneys excrete it. #FYI

After a quick literature search this am, i agree it's best to see your physician to get a better picture. There are too many situations where elevated B12 occured so more info in definitely needed.

Any other questions you have today, I can do my best to answer. Also I know Jack Bauer and a Nevada poster (nevadapackfan maybe?) on this board are both medical providers so they may have better information.