badfish

Biggest day in Aztec sports history

18 hours ago, badfish said:

I’m not sure any other fan base can understand what this means to us Aztec fans. To finally have a stadium to call our own is amazing. No more “empty” games in a cavernous tombstone. No more atmospheres like a cemetery. No more shit from bitch ass locals and opposing fan bases. 

Very happy for suds. Great for the mw.  What's funny is Unlv is excited to move into exactly what you described above. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Yep, UNLV doesn’t understand what is going to happen to them. They essentially no longer have a high ceiling in Vegas and the crowds that looked ok at SBS will be a joke in a 65k stadium....trust me, as an SDSU fan I know all about this.  The day the Chargers left San Diego was one of my favorite sports moments ever.  UNLV Now would have been something to get excited about, this is the opposite of that. After a year or two in the new stadium and the novelty wears off they will realize how screwed they are.  

29 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

congrats SDSU!

does that mean that Qual Comm will be demolished soon, and is there any indication of what will happen to the Holiday Bowl, will it move North to LA or stay in SD?

The Q won’t be demolished til the new stadium is built. They are shooting for the first season in the new stadium to be 2022.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AztecMD said:

Yep, UNLV doesn’t understand what is going to happen to them. They essentially no longer have a high ceiling in Vegas and the crowds that looked ok at SBS will be a joke in a 65k stadium....trust me, as an SDSU fan I know all about this.  The day the Chargers left San Diego was one of my favorite sports moments ever.  UNLV Now would have been something to get excited about, this is the opposite of that. After a year or two in the new stadium and the novelty wears off they will realize how screwed they are.  

Been trying to tell them this. We get DESTROYED by local idiots when we ONLY have 28k people at games. So ready for that to be over.

9 minutes ago, badfish said:

Been trying to tell them this. We get DESTROYED by local idiots when we ONLY have 28k people at games. So ready for that to be over.

Still playing in a brand new stadium with all the bells and whistles the NFL puts in is a whole lot better than playing in Sam Boyd stadium. Plus, isn’t it also going to have a retractable roof which makes weather a non factor. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Still playing in a brand new stadium with all the bells and whistles the NFL puts in is a whole lot better than playing in Sam Boyd stadium. Plus, isn’t it also going to have a retractable roof which makes weather a non factor. 

It’s not about the stadium. The stadium will be the best in the MWC. Our issues in SD aren’t about the actual stadium, it’s the optic of playing in a nearly empty stadium and the negative effect that has on your reputation and even the fans you do have there. I hope I’m wrong though.

1 hour ago, badfish said:

I feel horrible for UNLV. They don't realize just how bad this is going to be for them.

41 minutes ago, badfish said:

It’s not about the stadium. The stadium will be the best in the MWC. Our issues in SD aren’t about the actual stadium, it’s the optic of playing in a nearly empty stadium and the negative effect that has on your reputation and even the fans you do have there. I hope I’m wrong though.

Put your average crowd in it and get back to us about how great it is.

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The problem is that Unlv at their best will be playing in a third filled stadium that isn't theirs. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Nice. Time for Hawaii, Fresno, UNM, and SJSU to modernize and step up to the plate. 

As much as I would love to see a new stadium here, ABQ does not have the population/tax base to support building s new stadium. That’s why a new multi-purpose arena idea for DT was shot down years ago, that’s why UNM got the 60mil that went into the Pit for renovations.

Lobo stadium as it is now will suffice for the time being, especially went it’s a losing program like it is. The Stadium will get an upgrade here and there, like the new turf, scoreboard, sound system, etc.

A new stadium would have to be funded and taxed as a “state wide” initiative. Paid for from a statewide tax base as opposed to just the city of ABQ.

Funded kinda like what Seattle did when they built Seahawks stadium, every time you  rent a hotel room, or rent a car in the Seattle area and surrounding counties, taxes are being collected for that stadium. That’s the only way I see a new stadium for UNM.

And congrats SDSU. I thought it was funny when I read a title of a thread on TRM that read...”Rocky gets a new stadium!” 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

4 hours ago, badfish said:

It's more than that.  It's about being bent over at every turn by the NFL team.  They control everything and you can guarantee that the Raiders will be getting a cut of all of the game day revenue from UNLV games.  The Chargers never paid rent for the last two decades while SDSU did and the Chargers got all singage and skybox revenue, and portions of parking revenue.  This doesn't even get into our inability to do anything inside the stadium to make it look more like a college atmosphere as the Chargers wouldn't allow anything we wanted to do - even including SDSU buying a new jumbotron...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

That is huge for SDS, building a 40,000 seat on campus facility can be a game changer, it would be a great venue for a college bowl game if the MWC were lose the vegas bowl tie in. What great venue to have that bowl or any other in.

I believe the MW will be getting the Holiday Bowl back soon, as they fall down the pecking order.