retrofade

White House has revoked CNN's Jim Acosta's Press credentials

13 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

Pushing boundaries is fine. What Acosta does is over the top because he’s looking to get that reaction. He’s provoking to try and cause an incident. He does it with Sanders all the time. 

Have you ever seen a reporter speak to a POTUS like Acosta has?  I haven't.

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

12 hours ago, edluvar said:

Several.  I don’t see the assault the president does but I’m pretty sure our definitions of assault are different 

I don't know what the hell assault is anymore.  My interpretation of assault is more egregious than what assault has become these past few years.

Interesting times

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

As others have pointed out this video was doctored by slowing down and speeding up to make it look worse than it was. 

I didn’t realize it was doctored at the time.  I’ll delete my post.  My bad. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I agree, Acosta was asking a bullshit question, more allegation than question, but it was really kind of a "softball" which Trump could have easily spun in his favor. 

Instead, unsurprisingly, Trump went low which is always his first reaction; a reaction which has served him well with his base.

Trump has always, and will always go low.

The test for the rest of us is, do we go low with him?  Too many of us are!

• Like 2

@retrofade this is probably the best video of the incident.  Maybe....Acosta wasn’t as out of line as I originally said he was. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I’ve never seen a president talk to reporters, immigrants, and congressional Medal of Honor winners the way this president does.  The times they are a changing.  

Posted Image

It was a very weird trip; probably one of the weirdest things I’ve ever done, and especially weird because both Nixon and I enjoyed it.  We had a good talk, and when we got to the airport, I stood around the Lear Jet with Dick and the others, chatting in a very relaxed way about how successful his swing through New Hampshire had been…and as he climbed into the plane it seemed only natural to thank him for the ride and shake hands….

But suddenly I was seized from behind and jerked away from the plane.  Good God, I thought as I reeled backwards, Here We Go … “Watch out!” somebody was shouting.  “Get the cigarette!”  A hand lashed out of the darkness to snatch the cigarette out of my mouth, then other hands kept me from falling and I recognized the voice of Nick Ruwe, Nixon’s chief advance man for New Hampshire, saying, “God damnit, Hunter, you almost blew up the plane!”

I shrugged.  He was right.  I’d been leaning over the fuel tank with a burning butt in my mouth.  Nixon smiled and reached out to shake hands again, while Ruwe muttered darkly and the others stared down at the asphalt.

The plane took off and I rode back to the Holiday Inn with Nick Ruwe.  We laughed about the cigarette scare, but he was still brooding.  “What worries me,” he said, “is that nobody else noticed it.  Christ, those guys get paid to protect the boss….”

“Very bad show,” I said, “especially when you remember that I did about three king-size Marlboros while we were standing there.  Hell, I was flicking the butts away, lighting new ones …. You people are lucky I’m a sane, responsible journalist; otherwise I might have hurled my flaming Zippo into the fuel tank.”

“Not you,” he said.  “egomaniacs don’t do that kind of thing.”  He smiled.  “You wouldn’t do anything you couldn’t live to write about, would you?”

“You’re probably right, I said.  “Kamikaze is not my style.  I much prefer subtleties, the low-key approach — because I am, after all, a professional.”

“We know.  That’s why you’re along.”

Actually the reason was very different: I was the only one in the press corps that evening who claimed to be as seriously addicted to pro football as Nixon himself.  I was also the only out-front openly hostile Peace Freak; the only one wearing old Levis and a ski jacket, the only one (no, there was one other) who’d smoked grass on Nixon’s big Greyhound press bus, and certainly the only one who habitually referred to the candidate as “the Dingbat.”

So I still had to credit the bastard for having the balls to choose me — out of the fifteen or twenty straight/heavy press types who’d been pleading for two or three weeks for even a five-minute interview— as the one who should share the back seat with him on this Final Ride through New Hampshire.

But there was, of course, a catch.  I had to agree to talk about nothing except football.  “We want the Boss to relax,” Ray Price told me, “but he can’t relax if you start yelling about Vietnam, race riots or drugs.  He wants to ride with somebody who can talk football.”  He cast a baleful eye at the dozen or so reporters waiting to board the press bus, then shook his head sadly.  “I checked around,” he said. “But the others are hopeless — so I guess you’re it.”

“Wonderful,” I said.  “Let’s do it.”

We had a fine time.  I enjoyed it — which put me a bit off balance, because I’d figured Nixon didn’t know any more about football than he did about ending the war in Vietnam.  He had made a lot of allusions to things like “end runs” and “power sweeps” on the stump but it never occurred to me that he actually knew anything more about football than he knew about the Grateful Dead.

But I was wrong.  Whatever else might be said about Nixon —and there is still serious doubt in my mind that he could pass for Human— he is a goddamn stone fanatic on every fact of pro football.  At one point in our conversation, when I was feeling a bit pressed for leverage, I mentioned a down & out pass —in the waning moments of the 1967 Super Bowl mismatch between Green Bay and Oakland — to an obscure, second-string Oakland receiver named Bill Miller that had stuck in my mind because of its pinpoint style & precision.

He hesitated for a moment, lost in thought, then he whacked me on the thigh & laughed: “That’s right, by God!  The Miami boy!”

I was stunned.  He not only remembered the play, but he knew where Miller had played in college.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I’ve never seen a president talk to reporters, immigrants, and congressional Medal of Honor winners the way this president does.  The times they are a changing.  

Nope

Is it fair for me to assume that you've never seen a WH correspondent treat a POTUS like Acosta has? :) 

31 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I didn’t realize it was doctored at the time.  I’ll delete my post.  My bad. 

Yeah. All good. I didn't figure you did know. I was just linking the posts about the doctored video with the you're post showing it.... Not sure if it needs deleted. 

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

It's battery. The behavior displayed in the video clearly meets the elements of civil, tortious battery. Maybe simple misdemeanor battery criminally too, but idk if it'd stick or not.

what are her damages?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Would she be suing for damages?

That's what people sue for.

38 minutes ago, pokebball said:

No, but I'm not a WH press historian. In fairness no president speaks like Trump does either. 

Look, I think this whole thing is pretty silly like I've said in this thread. it makes Trump look petty and makes Acosta into a martyr and makes the story about him which is what he wants. If I ran that shop I would just never call on Acosta. I'd marginalize him in the press room. 

Just now, pokebball said:

In civil court

Right, so my question was in response to the point that Acosta's actions clearly meet the standard for civil battery.