retrofade

White House has revoked CNN's Jim Acosta's Press credentials

Media derangement syndrome is strong on this thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Acosta is and has been out of fvcking control for a long time. He sits there at Trump rally’s, acts nice to Trump supporters and even sign’s autographs like he’s a rock star. Then he reports the exact opposite of his dealings with the Trump supporters at the rally’s. Could you ever imagine Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, etc. whoring out autographs? He often makes himself a part of the story, and that’s shit journalism. 

Banning him is no threat to fvcking democracy as CNN frames it. They can send someone else to do his job correctly. But then again, CNN is out of control as well. So they might send over an Acosta wannabe. 

The bottom line is there has to be order at press briefings. If the press won’t police themselves and at least have some respect for the office of President, then they should be replaced. 

Some here would disagree Acosta was partially at fault, but IMO his media style has become borderline belligerent. I won't miss him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

What's your excuse for Trump then?

You seem to think they are on equal footing in the White House press room.  They aren't.  One is the elected POTUS and one is a guest. Acosta's behavior was deplorable.  Trump carried on more than he needed to in criticizing Acosta but did the right thing in revoking his white house pass.   

• Like 2

My dudes, the effing government put out a doctored video to support the removal of a journalist. This is not America being great. 

Is your $20 a month, deficit exploding tax break in a time of economic growth really worth it? 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, toonkee said:

My dudes, the effing government put out a doctored video to support the removal of a journalist. This is not America being great. 

Is your $20 a month, deficit exploding tax break in a time of economic growth really worth it? 

No but SCOTUS is, just ask them.

40 minutes ago, toonkee said:

They don't care. Judges. Or something.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

Pushing boundaries is fine. What Acosta does is over the top because he’s looking to get that reaction. He’s provoking to try and cause an incident. He does it with Sanders all the time. 

I think you're right. Trump has made him a martyr. Acosta repeatedly has made himself part of the story which breaks one of the tenets of journalism. The excuse of touching an intern is bogus. They should have just said, Mr. Acosta "you're rude disrespectful to both the president and the other reporters." Trump doesn't have to call on him.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Her tweet right after that is basically what I'm expecting to have happen.

I would anticipate reporters to ramp up their aggressiveness to try to draw more credentials to be pulled.  Acosta pushed the envelop pretty hard.  The guy rambles on, interupts and bullies the POTUS for Pistol Pete's sake.  I've never observed a reporter acting the way Acosta did.

But to draw any sort of parallel to Communist China is ridiculous.  Chan's tweets are a chessboard move.

Gotta go and buy me up some more popcorn.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 minute ago, NMpackalum said:

I think you're right. Trump has made him a martyr. Acosta repeatedly has made himself part of the story which breaks one of the tenets of journalism. The excuse of touching an intern is bogus. They should have just said, Mr. Acosta "you're rude disrespectful to both the president and the other reporters." Trump doesn't have to call on him.

I agree, Acosta was asking a bullshit question, more allegation than question, but it was really kind of a "softball" which Trump could have easily spun in his favor. 

Instead, unsurprisingly, Trump went low which is always his first reaction; a reaction which has served him well with his base.

1 hour ago, easybronc said:

You seem to think they are on equal footing in the White House press room.  They aren't.  One is the elected POTUS and one is a guest. Acosta's behavior was deplorable.  Trump carried on more than he needed to in criticizing Acosta but did the right thing in revoking his white house pass.   

Yes, seeking governmental accountability is TRULY deplorable

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 hours ago, mugtang said:

As much as I hate to link a Paul Joseph Watson tweet...this is a better video of it. 

As others have pointed out this video was doctored by slowing down and speeding up to make it look worse than it was. 

• Like 1