Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Sessions Resigns

McConnell, separately, said, “I think this will be a very interim AG.” And Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said she was concerned by some of Whitaker’s past comments and called for legislation that would place limits on his ability to fire Mueller. That would include specifying that only a Senate-confirmed Justice Department official, which Whitaker is not, could dismiss the special counsel.

Whitaker, a Republican Party loyalist and chief of staff to just-ousted Attorney General Jeff Sessions, was elevated Wednesday after Sessions was forced from his job by Trump.

Since Wednesday, Whitaker has faced pressure from Democrats to step aside from overseeing Mueller, based on critical comments Whitaker made about the investigation before joining the Justice Department last year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4652139/mitch-mcconnell-matthew-whitaker-attorney-general/

It's becoming more and more obvious that the only reason he was appointed was to be read in on the Mueller investigation and then report back to Trump. 

On 11/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, Rebelbacker said:

No it’s dumb because you are equating the Saturday night massacre of three people resigning after they refused to fire a special counsel with sessions being axed. 

Mueller hasn’t been fired and won’t be. That’s why it’s a ridiculous and dumb opinion. 

There is no other reason to appoint Whitaker. Many scholars have said it is illegal. He has been all over Fox News calling the investigation a sham. His cohorts have called him a +++++ing fool.

He doesn’t have fire Mueller. He can choke the investigation by cutting funding. He can let Trump know what the investigation has found. He can limit how and if Mueller’s report is released. 

He wasn’t picked for his qualifications.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Wasn't Rosenstein hired by Sessions? I ask because in government, elected officials are typically only empowered to hire chief executives and it is those chief executives who then hire underlings. I also doubt the interim guy has authority to fire Rosenstein. Suspend him for cause perhaps but not fire him.

So I don't doubt that Rosenstein is also likely to be fired, I just don't see it happening until Trump's nominee for the permanent job is confirmed by the Senate.

Rosenstein was appointed by Trump.

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

There is no other reason to appoint Whitaker. Many scholars have said it is illegal. He has been all over Fox News calling the investigation a sham. His cohorts have called him a +++++ing fool.

He doesn’t have fire Mueller. He can choke the investigation by cutting funding. He can let Trump know what the investigation has found. He can limit how and if Mueller’s report is released. 

He wasn’t picked for his qualifications.

You mean failed jacuzzi salesman doesn’t make him qualified?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

23 hours ago, retrofade said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4652139/mitch-mcconnell-matthew-whitaker-attorney-general/

It's becoming more and more obvious that the only reason he was appointed was to be read in on the Mueller investigation and then report back to Trump. 

Had he been called to that private West Wing meeting as FBI director rather than Comey, Whitaker would have said "I agree, Mr. President. Michael Flynn is a true hero and a great guy and he absolutely deserves to be given a break." Then Whitaker would have flashed Trump a wink.

Because Trump always has "the best people" he should have replaced Comey from the get-go. In hindsight, who knows how "great" America would now be if he had done so.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 hours ago, retrofade said:

Trump next week: "Did I say two different things? Well, if I did, and I'm not admitting to it but if I did, I wasn't lying, I merely forgot. Just like the last time I forgot."

Boom goes the dynamite.

Trump does not have to appoint Rosenstein as AG, and he definitely does not have to appoint someone who is sympathetic or supportive of Mueller either.   
The fact that republicans in congress are supportive of the Mueller investigation pretty much means neither Trump nor Whitakar are going to "end" it.   

17 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Trump does not have to appoint Rosenstein as AG, and he definitely does not have to appoint someone who is sympathetic or supportive of Mueller either.   
The fact that republicans in congress are supportive of the Mueller investigation pretty much means neither Trump nor Whitakar are going to "end" it.   

You're right, he doesn't have to appoint Rosenstein. However, the statues as written say that only someone that is Senate-confirmed is qualified to head the Justice Department. The appointment of Whitaker went by most stretched and construed application of the Vacancies Reform Act, but ignored another law that governs DoJ succession, as well as the Constitution, which states that the heads of certain branches of the Executive have to be Senate-confirmed. 

23 hours ago, retrofade said:

You're right, he doesn't have to appoint Rosenstein. However, the statues as written say that only someone that is Senate-confirmed is qualified to head the Justice Department. The appointment of Whitaker went by most stretched and construed application of the Vacancies Reform Act, but ignored another law that governs DoJ succession, as well as the Constitution, which states that the heads of certain branches of the Executive have to be Senate-confirmed. 

Here's the flip-side argument in a DOJ memo:

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/14/667788876/doj-memo-acting-attorney-general-whitakers-appointment-is-legal

Probably going to have Whitaker for a few months. Can't wait to see the fireworks if he tries to fire Mueller or Rosenstein.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:39 AM, pokerider said:

The fact that republicans in congress are supportive of the Mueller investigation  

. . . gives me hope that our great country may actually survive two more years of a Fake President.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Bush 41’s old AG is the pick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-46487122

Who is William Barr?

The 68-year-old Republican lawyer has an impressive political resume, spanning the CIA, White House and Department of Justice.

Mr Barr holds degrees in government and Chinese studies from Columbia University.

While studying law at George Washington University, he worked at the CIA from 1973-1977. 

As a young lawyer, he clerked for the DC appeals court.

For a year, Mr Barr was a member of President Ronald Reagan's domestic policy staff at the White House; a role he eventually left to pursue corporate law.

In 1989, he was appointed by President Bush to head the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel. He was promoted to deputy attorney general next, and then to the top role.

After passing his senate confirmation hearing unanimously, he served as the 77th US attorney general from 1991-1993. 

As the top US law official at that time, he oversaw Robert Mueller who was then leading the department's criminal division.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Interesting... the Justice Department hasn't notified the GAO that Sessions is no longer the Attorney General. 

Under the Federal Vacancies Reform Act, the head of the Justice Department was to report the vacancy in the office of attorney general and any appointment of an acting attorney general to the head of the Government Accountability Office "immediately."

It's been a month since Trump forced then-Attorney General Sessions to resign and then tweeted that Matthew Whitaker, Sessions' chief of staff, would be the acting attorney general.

There has been no notification.

The comptroller general of the United States, the head of the accountability office, hasn't received any reporting of either the vacancy or the acting appointment, a GAO spokesperson for the office told BuzzFeed News on Friday morning.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/chrisgeidner/justice-department-sessions-whitaker-gao