UNLV2001

UNLV at SDSU

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Bottom line is that the rebel defense played well yesterday (even the secondary) and didn't allow SUDS to score 50 points.

On the flip side, the Aztecs defense didn't play well. Different day, likely a different result.

If the rebs could have been playing like this all year but didn't, then i'm kinda not happy about that, lol. But I think i'm ok.

Also if UNLV had a consistent backup QB who could make throws consistently this game might have been in the WIN column closer to halftime

Biggest and best aspect of this game was the defensive effort.............and the freshman RB Neal who must have been buried on the depth chart for the prior 8 games.

Any win UNLV FB can get, just take it and don't over think it !!! Sadly we may be saying the same thing about UNLV BB in the coming season :unsure:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Your defense out-physicaled SDSU's defense. I can't recall the last time that happened. More broadly, your staff out-coached ours. That's happened several times this year: Sac State (yes, an FCS opponent), Eastern Michigan (which has a very good HC), San Jose State (even Rocky admitted SJSU out-coached him), Nevada and now UNLV.

Rocky needs to replace both his offensive coordinator and his offensive line coach. If he doesn't do so, 2019 will be a repeat of 2018 with us winning mainly only because our talent is superior to the majority of our opponents. Assuming no changes are made and we regress to 6-6 on the year, Rocky will be the brunt of so much criticism that he will do the same thing he did at UNM in 2008.

I was honestly shocked to see how UNLV's defense was playing - that was they best overall performance of the season - No idea where that come from after 5 games where the defense was just kicked around in every aspect and the games were over and done at halftime 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I was honestly shocked to see how UNLV's defense was playing - that was they best overall performance of the season - No idea where that come from after 5 games where the defense was just kicked around in every aspect and the games were over and done at halftime 

Maybe this is the part of the learning curve that starts to swing upwards

3 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Maybe this is the part of the learning curve that starts to swing upwards

Who knows but it was good to see - Why the D looked ok for the first 4 games and then fell apart for the next 4 games is a mystery that was even more glaring when Rogers was out......so the offense lost it's punch and the defense just rolled over making the inept offense put more pressure on the defense

Now is this a new trend or just the product of the D tired of being a punching bag /laughing stock ?!?!?! But if the defense can give this type of effort, it takes pressure off the offense which is literally hit and miss with Gilliam at QB - The guy looks good one play then looks terrible on the next play.........take that opening series where Gilliam hits the WR is stride and he takes off 70 yards to the 2 yard line, then missed a wide open TE in the end zone and blows another easy pass to WR and UNLV ends up with a FG instead of a TD 

• Like 1

Gilliam is getting better. Yeah, Rogers runs really well but his throws terribly. Gilliam has always been the more talented passer however he's very mistake prone and green. Last night, Gilliam looked a lot more poised and made passes I'm not sure Rogers makes.  Something to think about.

As ugly as I imagine this game was on TV, it was uglier sitting in the stands. This team is very difficult to love this year. Not sure why Rocky decided to bench Chapman. I thought the great Agnew experiment was over. He's a talented young man who simply isn't ready.  He actually played slightly better on Saturday but  his inexperience showed at the end.

NO idea what happened to the defense. It's almost like they prepped for the wrong team.

UNLV played a great game. The Rebs were fired up and played like it.  Aztecs?  Not so much. It was if they would have rather been elsewhere.  This may be the squad that has Rocky questioning how long he wants to continue coaching much the same way the BB squad a couple of seasons back, IMO, hastened Fisher's decision to hang it up.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke