mugtang

Alien Probe Possibly Passed Through Our Solar System

At least that’s what some Harvard astronomers are suggesting as a possibility. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/scientists-say-mysterious-oumuamua-object-could-be-alien-spacecraft-ncna931381

Scientists have been puzzling over Oumuamua ever since the mysterious space object was observed tumbling past the sun in late 2017. Given its high speed and its unusual trajectory, the reddish, stadium-sized whatever-it-is had clearly come from outside our solar system. But its flattened, elongated shape and the way it accelerated on its way through the solar system set it apart from conventional asteroids and comets.

Now a pair of Harvard researchers are raising the possibility that Oumuamua is an alien spacecraft. As they say in a paper to be published Nov. 12 in The Astrophysical Journal Letters, the object "may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization."

The researchers aren't claiming outright that aliens sent Oumuamua. But after a careful mathematical analysis of the way the interstellar object sped up as it shot past the sun, they say Oumuamua could be a spacecraft pushed through space by light falling on its surface — or, as they put it in the paper, a "lightsail of artificial origin."

Remember it’s never aliens...until it is.  

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

At least that’s what some Harvard astronomers are suggesting as a possibility. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/scientists-say-mysterious-oumuamua-object-could-be-alien-spacecraft-ncna931381

Remember it’s never aliens...until it is.  

Is this more or less likely than the Deep State conspiracy?

We need to fund more ancient astronaut theorists 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

30 minutes ago, RamSack said:

The picture of the 'cigar' on CNN's website has a lot of imperfections on it.  If this is an actual photo, then I'm be more likely to believe that it's not a spaceship.

It’s an artist impression of the object. I don’t think they have an actual picture. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Based on the way our tech stack is going--if aliens are sending probes into space to look at us--we likely won't ever be able to see them because they are too tiny. (Our tech is getting smaller and smaller, smaller drones, cube satelites, etc.)  If it is one, it's likely really primitive. (But even with our technology, if we were to build a light sail interstellar probe--it would likely be really small that our tech probably wouldn't see it)

They did both listen to it for signals and slowly monitor'd it's orbit the whole time it was here. (I.e. an unexplained shift in it's orbit or direction could strongly lead towards an artificial spacecraft)

54 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Based on the way our tech stack is going--if aliens are sending probes into space to look at us--we likely won't ever be able to see them because they are too tiny. (Our tech is getting smaller and smaller, smaller drones, cube satelites, etc.)  If it is one, it's likely really primitive. (But even with our technology, if we were to build a light sail interstellar probe--it would likely be really small that our tech probably wouldn't see it)

They did both listen to it for signals and slowly monitor'd it's orbit the whole time it was here. (I.e. an unexplained shift in it's orbit or direction could strongly lead towards an artificial spacecraft)

It did unexpectedly accelerate as it went around the sun. 

27 minutes ago, renoskier said:

But wouldn't it do that just from the gravitational pull?

Nah that is the expected acceleration

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So are you/they saying it accelerated faster than it should have?

??? I didn't look it up, I just assumed the scientists were competent enough to assume that acceleration

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

This is why we need Space Force. 

Trump's been studying up on the idea and is said to be highly impressed with this format: https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=thunderbirds+puppet+series+youtube#id=2&vid=4d75792ad898dd35d57a38629aaecfc9&action=click

Among the reasons are the ethnic diversity of the participants and their malleability to the Commander in Chief.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

So are you/they saying it accelerated faster than it should have?

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

??? I didn't look it up, I just assumed the scientists were competent enough to assume that acceleration

Here:

The object puzzled astronomers because of its long shape and unusual acceleration. According to NASA, "Oumuamua" is up to a quarter-mile long and has reached speeds of 196,000 miles per hour.

In June, a study led by astronomer Marco Micheli of the European Space Agencyfound the object was a comet, noting "Oumuamua" was not slowing down as much as expected because of gravitational forces.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/11/06/mysterious-oumuamua-object-space-alien-probe-harvard/1900213002/

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Trump's been studying up on the idea and is said to be highly impressed with this format: https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=thunderbirds+puppet+series+youtube#id=2&vid=4d75792ad898dd35d57a38629aaecfc9&action=click

Among the reasons are the ethnic diversity of the participants and their malleability to the Commander in Chief.

Nah. I think this earlier, less diverse (very blonde) space show I watched as a kid will be Nacho Duce’s inspiration.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say